Are school suspensions a violation of human rights?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Turns out city schoolkids have some thing in common with the terrorists penned up in Guantanamo Bay: The NYCLU thinks they're all victims of government persecution.

(And no, students aren't being waterboarded -- though you can rest assured that some of them deserve to be.)

New York is violating "internationally-recognized human rights laws" . . . just by suspending kids from school.

"Sadly, the growing reliance on suspensions in New York City schools all too often denies children . . . their right to an education," crowed NYCLU chief Donna Lieberman.

Read more: The NYCLU's school-suspension canard--Editorial - NYPOST.com

The NYCLU aren't the only radical cuckoos who have made this argument. Comments?

Turns out city schoolkids have some thing in common with the terrorists penned up in Guantanamo Bay: The NYCLU thinks they're all victims of government persecution.

(And no, students aren't being waterboarded -- though you can rest assured that some of them deserve to be.)

New York is violating "internationally-recognized human rights laws" . . . just by suspending kids from school.

"Sadly, the growing reliance on suspensions in New York City schools all too often denies children . . . their right to an education," crowed NYCLU chief Donna Lieberman.

The NYCLU aren't the only radical cuckoos who have made this argument. Comments?

O, for the love of all that's holy. What complete bullshit.

"Human rights" means those fundamental rights that are or should be recognized by all governments, world-wide. Such as the right to a fair trial before punishment, or the right to be punished without death or dismemberment. Etc.

I hardly think a kid being tossed out of school for rule-breaking could ever, ever, EVA rise to such a level.

I'm not sure being suspended is violating rights. Students under 18 are not allowed to vote either. I think it's pretty common practice that children don't really have the "Same" rights that adults have considering that they are not free of their parents (legally) until they are 18. This would be the same as saying criminals are being denied their human rights by being sent to prison. You get punished when you break the rules, simple as that.

I agree Brian, but unfortunately here in NJ, the Supreme Court has ruled that the "right to an education" trumps the rights of other students to learn in a safe and effective learning environment. I'm not sure how NY works, but here that "constitutional right" has virtually outlawed expulsion. Federal law requires that students who bring a gun to school must be suspended for one year. NJ determined that's a violation of our law, so districts must pay for an "alternative placement" during that year. It generally costs about $30K.

Students who are suspended for 10 or more days are offered 10 hours of home instruction at $50 an hour.

And they wonder why education costs are so high. And why there is chaos in the classroom. No money; no suspension. When Johnny tells his teacher to go fuck himself, is it really worth it to suspend him? I'm sure the NYCLU would claim he's just exercising free speech.

vouchers and charter schools with documented flow charts of disciplinary actions. the unhappy schools that can't attract students get to become holding pens for trouble makers but better that than having ALL the schools holding pens for trouble makers.

I agree Brian, but unfortunately here in NJ, the Supreme Court has ruled that the "right to an education" trumps the rights of other students to learn in a safe and effective learning environment. I'm not sure how NY works, but here that "constitutional right" has virtually outlawed expulsion. Federal law requires that students who bring a gun to school must be suspended for one year. NJ determined that's a violation of our law, so districts must pay for an "alternative placement" during that year. It generally costs about $30K.

Students who are suspended for 10 or more days are offered 10 hours of home instruction at $50 an hour.

And they wonder why education costs are so high. And why there is chaos in the classroom. No money; no suspension. When Johnny tells his teacher to go fuck himself, is it really worth it to suspend him? I'm sure the NYCLU would claim he's just exercising free speech.

I think we have the same thing here in Texas. I've seen students get suspended for a few days...a week tops. But the suspensions down her involve an ISS(In School Suspension) where they keep them in a separate room away from the other students for the duration. They also have an alternative education program for bigger offensive in which the students are also kept in another building away from other students altogether.

We have something similar but for serious offenses like fighting and drugs, it's automatic "out of school" suspension. And "in school suspension" are not counted against the school on the state school report cards. That's prob. the driving force behind it.

Imagine if your kid was the victim of bullying, harrassment or violence, and the teacher said "Sorry. Our hands are tied"? These bleeding hearts don't give a rat's ass about the innocents.

Many urban schools are becoming warehouses just to keep juvenile delinquents off the streets. And then we wonder why math scores are so low.

I have several thoughts about his.

The school is voiloting the rights of the kids who are there and not troublemakers.

Once a kids is suspended its the PARENTS problem to get their troublemaker an education. Home school it. Send it home with assignments. That is not depriving it from an education.

We have something similar but for serious offenses like fighting and drugs, it's automatic "out of school" suspension. And "in school suspension" are not counted against the school on the state school report cards. That's prob. the driving force behind it.

Imagine if your kid was the victim of bullying, harrassment or violence, and the teacher said "Sorry. Our hands are tied"? These bleeding hearts don't give a rat's ass about the innocents.

Many urban schools are becoming warehouses just to keep juvenile delinquents off the streets. And then we wonder why math scores are so low.

My first year at the high school I was the Alternative Education teacher. I actually had a boy in there for about 3 months because they had found a gun in his truck. He was just a country kid that forgot to take it out. The boy was at the top of his class and had even won a $20,000 scholarship from a statewide fishing tournament we have every year. He had been pig hunting over the weekend and had forgotten to take the pistol out of his truck. There was nothing malicious about it, however, the school had to follow the rules. He ended up being suspended for a week and then put in my program until the end of the school year. Now he's in college at A&M and is very successful.

What's funny, is my dad (and numerous others) has told the that when they were in high school, they would drive to school with rifles and shotguns on a gun rack in their trucks. In ag class they would actually have live hogs they would learn to butcher and they would shoot them right on campus. Of course this was in the late 70s.

I think there is a alot of "grey" when talking about gun-owners.

The school is voiloting the rights of the kids who are there and not troublemakers.

Once a kids is suspended its the PARENTS problem to get their troublemaker an education. Home school it. Send it home with assignments. That is not depriving it from an education.

Theoretically correct.

However, practically, it simply doesn't happen.

What we have is a system that REQUIRES EVERYONE to participate, when not everyone deserves, or much less wants, to participate: If the system requires a bunch of reprobates to go to school, then why be surprised when the school is full of retrobates?

You really think the parent(s) of a troublemaker haven't tried to rehabilitate their "troublemaker?" Do you think they will take vacation days from work to stay home with the suspended? Why?

Essentially, when a kid is suspended from school, the likely result will be their continued juvenile delinquency AT HOME, or worse...... AT YOUR HOME, in the form of burglery, arson, and creating general mayhem.

Theoretically correct.

What we have is a system that REQUIRES EVERYONE to participate, when not everyone deserves, or much less wants, to participate: If the system requires a bunch of reprobates to go to school, then why be surprised when the school is full of retrobates?

You really think the parent(s) of a troublemaker haven't tried to rehabilitate their "troublemaker?" Do you think they will take vacation days from work to stay home with the suspended? Why?

Essentially, when a kid is suspended from school, the likely result will be their continued juvenile delinquency AT HOME, or worse...... AT YOUR HOME, in the form of burglery, arson, and creating general mayhem.

No, i do not think the parents of troublemakers have done anything to check their brats.

I have the solution. Put them down, put the little animals down. :lol:

Theoretically correct.

No, i do not think the parents of troublemakers have done anything to check their brats.

<<<<sigh>>>>

Someone would call, "HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATION.":(

Listen, I've met the kids, and their parent(s). Normally there is just the mother, who is uneducated herself, and works 80 hours a week to pay for her hair. She could care less about the kid, but appreciates the free babysitting we INSIST GIVING HER.

Theoretically correct.

<<<<sigh>>>>

Listen, I've met the kids, and their parent(s). Normally there is just the mother, who is uneducated herself, and works 80 hours a week to pay for her hair. She could care less about the kid, but appreciates the free babysitting we INSIST GIVING HER.

Oh trust me the school system has been a babysitter for decades. Nothing new there.

<<<<sigh>>>>

Oh trust me the school system has been a babysitter for decades. Nothing new there.

Then why should we be surprised NOW that parents of delinquents would be more than happy to send their kids there?

The short answer is no. That said, I think schools tend to resort to suspensions way to easily. Otherwise exemplary students who make a single mistake should not be suspended simply because it is easier to have a zero tolerance policy than treat everyone as individuals.

Silly bureaucrats think education only takes place in a government run school.

Forum List

Back