Are reality shows deliberately trying to cause class warfare?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
From time to time surfing tv I'll go channel to channel instead of point to point entering a specific channel. Doing it the 'long way' I come across numerous reality shows. Most all of which featuring very well-to-do people who can't seem to participate in conversations without rather a lot of profanity, rather a lot of "I'm the most important person in the universe" type sentiment, and "My problems are so huge I can't figure out a solution so am going to get drunk and act stupid tonight."

While I conceed this is akin to watching a train derailment, and thus very watchable, it makes me wonder if it's stoking the fires of resentment among most people who'd gladly hold these poeple down while someone beats the crap out of them. :) I can't think of any other reason to show slices of these people's lives than to show how utterly worthless and trashy they are despite the nice clothes and homes. The people living in the wilds of Alaska are more worthy of a break and reality show than anyone with manicured nails who can't utter a single sentence without the bleeps of the censor.

From time to time surfing tv I'll go channel to channel instead of point to point entering a specific channel. Doing it the 'long way' I come across numerous reality shows. Most all of which featuring very well-to-do people who can't seem to participate in conversations without rather a lot of profanity, rather a lot of "I'm the most important person in the universe" type sentiment, and "My problems are so huge I can't figure out a solution so am going to get drunk and act stupid tonight."

While I conceed this is akin to watching a train derailment, and thus very watchable, it makes me wonder if it's stoking the fires of resentment among most people who'd gladly hold these poeple down while someone beats the crap out of them. :) I can't think of any other reason to show slices of these people's lives than to show how utterly worthless and trashy they are despite the nice clothes and homes. The people living in the wilds of Alaska are more worthy of a break and reality show than anyone with manicured nails who can't utter a single sentence without the bleeps of the censor.
Are you talking about reality shows or celebrity exposition -- which is not the kind of reality the average individual (you and I) can relate to.

I think of COPS, the tv "ride-along" documentary, as a candid glimpse of reality. Those comparatively "well-to-do" people, such as the "Mafia Wives" and "The Kardashians," et. al., inhabit a reality apart from ours.

I'd answer "no" but then the reality series I watch are Discovery's Deadliest Catch and Gold Rush, History's American Pickers and Ice Road Truckers, along with CNBC's American Greed and The Profit.

I'd answer "no" but then the reality series I watch are Discovery's Deadliest Catch and Gold Rush, History's American Pickers and Ice Road Truckers, along with CNBC's American Greed and The Profit.
My favorites are COPS and Deadliest Catch. Lately I've gotten hooked on Ice Lake Rebels and Alaskan Frontier.

Forum List

Back