Are people in general happy or depressed?

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
I know to most people it’s not a black and white issue. To me I see being depressed as being miserable during the majority of your time awake, while I see being happy as not being miserable most of the time. No one has a feeling of constant euphoria all the time. Now they say people that are depressed tend to think everyone is depressed. Speaking personally my depression comes and goes in cycles for no apparent reason of my knowing, although I’ve had majority bouts of depression through various portions of my life, so I know what constant misery feels like.

Now there is no right or wrong to the answer to the thread question because there’s no way of any answer being validated with proof. It’s all about your perception of the world and gut instincts.

Now my answer is I feel most people are depressed, and it has nothing to do with money. At work I’m surrounded people who are well above average earners, some even wealthy. They pop pills all day to numb the pain. I know people who on the surface have everything - a loving family, wealth, friends, intelligence, good looks, just about everything we’ve been conditioned to want or want instinctually. They’re still miserable. You see there are people that are very good at putting on a facade that they’re happy all the time, and they’re usually the best at giving advice for depression, then you figure out one way or another they’re the must fucked up people you know. It sucks, but I would have to lean on the side of there being more depressed people out there reflecting on what I’ve observed over my lifetime

No idea.

I've never been to general.

What state is it in?

Happy as an effing clam, but it's probably the vodka and Rockstar energy drink.

Me? No. Don’t experience mania, have problems with spending, or really have mood swings that often. I know people with bipolar and it sucks.

Happy for our country now that Trump and Barr are in charge. Looking forward to seeing Hillary in Prison. Depressed because I'm unemployed without a car with a broken foot I can't walk on. It's Work at Home or don't work at all. And they won't give me Disability because I never paid into the system.

Rarely been depressed in my life

He's asking about people in general. Of course the well-off baby boomers who make up the majority of this forum's userbase are happy. That generation is pretty notorious for being self centered.

All you have to do to take the pulse of the younger generation is look at the state of today's politics, maybe browse twitter or facebook where all the youngins' hang out. No, people in general are not happy, clearly.

Happy for our country now that Trump and Barr are in charge. Looking forward to seeing Hillary in Prison. Depressed because I'm unemployed without a car with a broken foot I can't walk on. It's Work at Home or don't work at all. And they won't give me Disability because I never paid into the system.

Sorry to hear about your troubles

He's asking about people in general. Of course the well-off baby boomers who make up the majority of this forum's userbase are happy. That generation is pretty notorious for being self centered.

All you have to do to take the pulse of the younger generation is look at the state of today's politics, maybe browse twitter or facebook where all the youngins' hang out. No, people in general are not happy, clearly.

There may be some truth to it being a generalational thing. It’s a fact that more millennials and gen z people are prescribed anti depressants.

Me? No. Don’t experience mania, have problems with spending, or really have mood swings that often. I know people with bipolar and it sucks.

There are two causes of depression, Physiological and Psychological, i.e. body or mind. Some people have low serotonin levels that causes depression and some people have emotional reasons to be depressed. Get outside for more fresh air and sunshine. Exercising helps. Try morning strolls. Try some over the counter remedies such as 5-htp, or Ashwagandha or St. John's Wort or vitamin B12 and Omega-3. Research the products well before you use them.

There may be some truth to it being a generalational thing. It’s a fact that more millennials and gen z people are prescribed anti depressants.

Us genXers are always left out but it's ok, we don't want to be associated with millenials either.

There are two causes of depression, Physiological and Psychological, i.e. body or mind. Some people have low serotonin levels that causes depression and some people have emotional reasons to be depressed. Get outside for more fresh air and sunshine. Exercising helps. Try morning strolls. Try some over the counter remedies such as 5-htp, or Ashwagandha or St. John's Wort or vitamin B12 and Omega-3. Research the products well before you use them.

I been exercising since high school. Whenever let’s say a week without exercise I feel off. I don’t know if it’s because of the endorphins or whatever, but for me exercising is a must.

I think most people are happy and want to be happy

But it is hard when things come at you full force and your helpless to stop it

So as the song goes "Don't worry be happy"

eventually you will die

Us genXers are always left out but it's ok, we don't want to be associated with millenials either.

As a genexer myself, I concur.

Forum List

Back