Are people good or bad?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
“The depravity of man is at once the most empirically verifiable reality but at the same time the most intellectually resisted fact.” - Malcolm Muggeridge

Bad. If bad means being inherently selfish, lazy and destructive

People are dumb, and always head for the lowest common denominator, force.

Where do you draw the line between stupid and evil and crazy?

What separates them?

“The depravity of man is at once the most empirically verifiable reality but at the same time the most intellectually resisted fact.” - Malcolm Muggeridge
My hero, could be your villain. Life is competitive. So the answer to your question will vary, depending on who you ask...

My hero, could be your villain. Life is competitive. So the answer to your question will vary, depending on who you ask...

So there are no universal heroes or villains?

What separates them?
Most people in the world aren't very bright, including all evil people, just look at Hitler, he had things going pretty well until he invaded Russia. RUSSIA! Worst. Move. Ever.

Even the devil is a dumbass, if he wanted more recruits, he should make Hell nice and toasty and comfy, not all hot and sweaty.

Sounds about right...

What separates them?
Most people in the world aren't very bright, including all evil people, just look at Hitler, he had things going pretty well until he invaded Russia. RUSSIA! Worst. Move. Ever.

Even the devil is a dumbass, if he wanted more recruits, he should make Hell nice and toasty and comfy, not all hot and sweaty.

I would say that being "evil" is interpreted by most to be those who seemingly benefit for a short time by doing stupid things while those labaled crazy seemingly never benefit for their stupid decisions.

Sounds about right...

I would say that Jesus is as close to universal good and Hitler is as close to universal evil as it gets.

Compounding the issue; is the ability for one person, at one moment, doing something perceived as inherently "good", only to later do something perceived as bad... So its really situational, and dependent on the observers perception at the time. Even the same person can change their value assessment on an act over time. Its a very tenuous label; the "good"\"bad" dichotomy...

What separates them?
-Stupid is not knowing the difference between good and bad.
-Evil is knowing the difference but choosing bad consistently
-Crazy is thinking good and bad are different from any objective standard.

As to your question, almost all people have something of both in them. Some lean more to the one than to the other. And in a few cases the sense of morality which is at the bases of both good and bad is considered irrelevant by the people. These people we call psychopaths.

On the eternally pointless question of are people basically good or bad, what those in the latter camp always forget is that, if people are basically bad, then that includes themselves, and if it includes themselves it includes their judgment, which means the judgment they just made to get there carries its own suicide gene and that's the end of that.

Class dismissed.

Let me see if I can help out with my years of time on God's green Earth.

Man isn't perfect and although always striving for perfection will never achieve it while on Earth. Lucifer who fell from God's grace was allowed to walk the Earth to tempt us which gives us choice. Those that follow the word of the Lord, will again try to be good but since human, make mistakes, so will need to be forgiven. Those that don't follow, because Lucifer has given them an easier way, and have turned away from God, will do what ever "FEELS" good and will continue to follow Lucifer into Hell, where their sins will never be forgiven.

So there are 2 books being followed today, which one do you follow?

Bible - God's Book - Good... Read the Bible. A free Bible on your phone, tablet, and computer. | The Bible App | Bible.com

Rules for Radicals - Lucifer's Book - Evil.... Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals
Opening page - Dedication
“Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history... the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.”

People are driven by their surroundings and experiences. Through ignorance or knowledge they carry on. Their morality is shaped by many things. Religion, politics, family life, societal paradigms, what have you.

Good or bad? It it can be a matter of choice, or a matter of deception, even desperation...

There's no clear cut answer to this question. But philosophy isn't my can of corn. I'm going to go celebrate beating the Samus Returns remake now.

See you next mission!

Forum List

Back