Are people basically good?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Votto, Aug 14, 2018.

?

Are people basically good?

1. yes

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. I'm too incapable of rational thought to give a yes or no.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PixieStix

PixieStix Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,012
    He saw that what he created was good. Not what Adam and Eve DID was good. Evil does not exists by itself. I would say that evil exists out of the absence of God, and the existence of greed, lust gluttony, pride etc..

2. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,173
    Yes, they were good. Their prideful and vain behavior was bad. Which brings me back to my initial response to you, you have to weigh all the behaviors. I believe the good far outweighs the bad.

And since he uses it all for the good of those who love him the bad serves a purpose.

3. Taz

Taz Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,629
    If you had something you'd be more than happy to throw it in my face. Doucher.

4. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,173
    I have everything and I have been more than happy to share it with you. But after dozens of times there is a point when it becomes illogical to continue doing so.

5. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,257
    It can. I can also just change. But okay, let's say yes.

6. Taz

Taz Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,629
    And every time you've had nothing. Care to try again? But I'll understand if you avoid the whole thing. You like to say things and then run from them.

7. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,173
    Looks to me like I am controlling you again.

8. Taz

Taz Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,629
    I'm trying to get you to explain something you said and this is where you turn the conversation. Proof you have nothing.

9. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,129
    there is some good in every dingbat........there is no
    such thing as a completely BAD dingbat

10. ding

ding Confront reality

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,173
    Thanks. Just so you know evolution extends to more than just biological evolution. In fact, biological evolution is just a small part of evolution. in its simplest form evolution means to change, but it does imply change from less advanced state to a more advanced state. I say this because we can use the term devolve to mean a change from a more advanced state to a less advanced state.

So if we look at the history of space and time, we see that existence has gotten more complex (or advanced) as time has gone by. And at each step along it's journey each phase made a leap into the next phase when matter reached the appropriate point to do so.

For instance....

~14 billion years ago all matter and energy existed in the tiny space of 1 billionth of 1 trillionth the space of a single atom and then began to expand and cool. Since that time matter and energy has merely changed form. It is a scientific fact that the matter and energy that make up the atoms in your body were present for the beginning of space and time.

At this time all matter existed as sub atomic particles and then began to expand and cool and very quickly formed hydrogen and helium. This is called the cosmic evolution phase.

The hydrogen and helium then created structures such as stars and galaxies. This is called the stellar evolution phase.

As stars supernova the blast furnace of the supernova "created" elements hydrogen and helium and chemical compounds. This is called the chemical evolution phase.

At some point matter made the leap to life and evolved from single cell organism into plants and animals. This is called the biological evolution phase.

Eventually life evolved until beings became self aware.

Given that the universe is a complex adaptive system and that since the beginning of space and time matter has comlexified it only makes sense that consciousness will evolve just like every phase before it.