Are our pets in Heaven?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Protestant Christians seem to agree there are. Even Islam does (even say flies will be, "Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “Everything will be gathered, even the flies.” "
what is the fate of animals in the Day of Resurrection - islamqa.info

"Animals—all animals—are submitters to the will of God, which makes them “muslims.” They come to this earth for a period of time, determined by God, and then they return to Him for eternity. The Quran makes it clear that all the animals will go to Heaven. The movie title; “All Dogs Go to Heaven” was absolutely correct. Dogs cannot be “bad” since they are submitters. That’s not necessarily true for all humans, but all the animals will go back to God. So, if as a human, you lead a righteous life and worship God ALONE, submit to the will of God, you will be reunited with your pets in Heaven. We can learn a lot from watching how our pets accept this concept of submission.

Unfortunately, some of this truth has been lost over the last 1400 years. In traditional Islam, it is not considered clean to have a dog. But the Quran tells of a story of young men who fled persecution and hid in a cave for 309 years and their faithful dog slept there with them. By mentioning the dog in that story, God is telling us that He approves of us keeping pets. There is also a reference in the Quran to training your dogs and eating the food that they catch for you. God says: “You train them according to God’s teachings.”"
The Loss Of A Beloved Pet; Submission (Islam)

Catholics too seem to believe they are, "A previous pope, Paul VI, had no doubts. "One day we will again see our animals in the eternity of Christ," Paul once told a boy grieving the loss of his pet.

That quote, from the pontiff who reigned from 1963 until his death in 1978, was inaccurately attributed to Francis."
Did Pope Francis say animals go to heaven? - CNN.com

Jewish opinion is mixed at best, though after the usual convoluted reply to the question, one rabbi at least concludes,

"So even though they have an important place in this world, there is no heaven for animals."
Animal Souls: Soul & Afterlife Response on Ask the Rabbi

Other Jewish opinion,

"The question of whether animals go to heaven has been debated throughout the centuries.

The Midrash states unequivocally that animals don’t have a portion in the world to come.1 But that has not stopped some of the greatest Jewish philosophers from debating whether the concept of reward and punishment, and by extension the afterlife, applies to animals.

For example, Rabbi Saadiah Gaon, in his famous philosophical work Sefer Emunot ve-De’ot (The Book of Beliefs and Opinions), writes that an animal is ultimately compensated for all the pain it went through in life and death.2 This idea is in line with the statement in the Talmud that “the Holy One, blessed be He, does not deprive any creature of any reward due to it”3 (although an animal’s reward is different than what a person would receive for doing a good deed out of free will). The fact that Rabbi Saadiah Gaon held that this applies even to an animal going through a painful death suggests that the animal will continue to exist even after death.

On the other hand, Maimonides is of the opinion that the concept of reward and punishment applies to man alone."
Do Animals Go to Heaven?

So to sum up:

Judaism says no, or yes depending on who you choose to believe.

Christianity including both Catholics and Protestants seem united in their 'yes.'

Islam says yes as well.

Of course, both Christianity and Islam both took Judaism and reworked it so that's worth considering.

Other faiths:

"Still the general Hindu belief is that animals have souls but no access to eternal life, Bhattacharyya said. “Because of the soul’s inherent urge to be united with its source (God), souls in animals will ultimately evolve to the human plane. Once the soul is in a human body, it is capable of union with God in eternal bliss. But it may take many more reincarnations in human form to liberate the soul from the death-rebirth cycle.”"

"BUDDHIST From the Buddhist perspective, “I don’t know” about an afterlife for humans or animals, said Marnie Hammer of Mid America Dharma. “The Buddha talked about being present now rather than spending a lot of time worrying about what’s out there,” she said. Buddhism teaches that the animal realm is a lower realm of existence, Hammer said. “I’ve had three cats that I’ve shared my life with and have made my life richer, but I don’t know if I’ll see them again,” she said. “That’s not the question.” The question, she said, is whether one is making life “more peaceful and generous for everyone.”"
Do Pets Go to Heaven? A Look at Many Faiths' Viewpoints

Re: the Muslim interpretation early on, about flies go to Heaven, that necessitates "do mosquitos bite you in heaven?" :)

Cute cartoon here,

su-do-animals-have-souls-spirit-will-spot-be-in-heaven-chien.jpg

Forum List

Back