Are Older People Coming into Their Own in America?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Carole Simpson says, 'no.'

(CNN) - It was suggested to me that older women are finally coming into their own.

Who would have thought that almost 14 million viewers would tune in to NBC's broadcast special celebrating actress Betty White's 90th birthday?

The endearing "Golden Girl" was feted by some of the most popular stars of the day, and even the president of the United States.

Actress Cloris Leachman was 82 when she danced the light fantastic on "Dancing With the Stars."

Barbara Walters, also in her 80s, continues to land the big interviews for her ABC specials and act as a co-host on "The View," a show she co-owns.

Diane Sawyer, ABC's "World News " anchor, is in her late 60s, and Lesley Stahl, long time "60 Minutes" correspondent, is 70.

This all sounds pretty good considering women in television were once warned - by men of course - that our careers would be over at 40.

Does that mean elder females are gaining acceptance in our society?

Absolutely not.

Opinion: Carole Simpson on the truth about being old and female | KTVQ.com | Q2 | Billings, Montana

We got a long way to go. I think it's more due to PC than attitudes really changing.

We got a long way to go. I think it's more due to PC than attitudes really changing.

When I went to China with that group of nurses, I didn't know who all would be going and at 55, thought I wouldn't be able to keep up with all the younger nurses who would be there. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the Chinese nurses had actually requested that 'older nurse authorities' come and teach them. Most were older than I. Here, the older you are when you teach the stupider the students think you are. I have never known the kind of respect that I got from those people in China. 2000 years of Confucianism and teaching repect for elders has helped their civilization survive. Here we are merely warehoused and forgotten at the earliest convenience. But older folks have SO much to teach if anyone would just listen.

If you haven't read the entire article, please do so. I, like Carole Simpson, have fought aging all my life. And like here, I try to never go out in public looking frowsey - always have on the make up and the hair done. I also, keep my aches and pains to myself though I have plenty of them.

Last edited:
Love Betty White, I don't care if they are not accepted.

She is also a honorary Coug.

Yeah, everyone does. I think the point of the article is that we are not all Betty White. Simpson points up the difference in her and her sister's approach aging. She makes some good points as to how older women are perceived, and why they annoy people. I think we have to stay positive and present ourselves to the world as a happy positive person like Betty does if we want to be respected. Of course around here, that's not all that hard. Clothes and ones appearance are big status symbols, therefore most women in this are don't go out unless they are well dressed and made up.

Yeah, everyone does. I think the point of the article is that we are not all Betty White. Simpson points up the difference in her and her sister's approach aging. She makes some good points as to how older women are perceived, and why they annoy people. I think we have to stay positive and present ourselves to the world as a happy positive person like Betty does if we want to be respected. Of course around here, that's not all that hard. Clothes and ones appearance are big status symbols, therefore most women in this are don't go out unless they are well dressed and made up.

Yeah, that is very true.

But I do have to say, older women are doing more these days and looking better. My Grandmother did far less when she was my mom's age.

But on the flip side, I take care of a lot of older women and I can understand why they annoy people. They still deserve our respect, especially the generation I take care of.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I will.

It used to be that all cultures respected elders but sadly ours has gotten away from it. The Older I get the more prejudice I encounter, especially from men. When It comes to men it's like my worth is tied up in my age and looks. If I am not young and beautiful,i'm not worth knowing. Fortunately My Identity as a person isn't based on what men think or I'd be in trouble.

When I was a young woman I got alot of good advice on how to do things from older women. Older women have been through just about everything a younger woman can come up with and they are not shy about talking about it.

All you young ladies, you should have at least two wise older women(40+) on speed dial. Job,sex,kids,relationships, you will save yourself alot of trouble if take the time to listen to them

Last edited:

It used to be that all cultures respected elders but sadly ours has gotten away from it. The Older I get the more prejudice I encounter, especially from men. When It comes to men it's like my worth is tied up in my age and looks. If I am not young and beautiful,i'm not worth knowing. Fortunately My Identity as a person isn't based on what men think or I'd be in trouble.

When I was a young woman I got alot of good advice on how to do things from older women. Older women have been through just about everything a younger woman can come up with and they are not shy about talking about it.

All you young ladies, you should have at least two wise older women(40+) on speed dial. Job,sex,kids,relationships, you will save yourself alot of trouble if take the time to listen to them

Excellent points all!

Having studied scinece, I have to give men a pass, though. They are biologically wired, without even cognitively processing it, to be attracted to women who look most likely to bear their children. And that puts us older ladies out of the running unless a man has figured out how to override mother nature on that one. Some have, and simply don't want the immaturity they have to deal with in a younger woman. A few years back in my 50s I was dating this guy, he and I both knew a guy his/my age who had taken up residence with a very much young woman just out of college. My friend's comment about the dude with the younger woman, 'he just has more problems that I do in order to need that.' But in reality men are biologically engineered to procreate and choose women who will facilitate that task. Some get past it. Most do not.

Yeah, that is very true.

But I do have to say, older women are doing more these days and looking better. My Grandmother did far less when she was my mom's age.

But on the flip side, I take care of a lot of older women and I can understand why they annoy people. They still deserve our respect, especially the generation I take care of.

Yeah, me too. It takes work to put the aches and pains aside, and to think and act in a more positive way.

Attitude goes a long way. I have been fortunate to have good examples of what to do and what not to do in my family. My Aunt Lucy born in the late 1800's chose not to marry and have kids at a time when that was what was expected of women. She traveled,belonged to clubs and kept active. My Aunt Ruth also born In the late 1800's didn't marry either but went to Africa to be a missionary. My Aunt Hazel who did marry and had 6 kids went back to school in her 40's to be a nurse. She was always active and trying new things right up until she died. She lived to be 98; when her hearing and eyesight began to fail she learned how to read brail. My Mom is 73 and still works and still moves. All of these women Kept up with themselves and life and that's what I plan to do. My bucket list includes hand gliding,Martial arts,and jet sking. Now my grandmother did the same thing that the sister in the article did. When Grandpa died she sat on the couch and vegetated. No way am I doing that.

The only thing about growing old is makeup. If you don't get it right I find women tend to look older with it on IMO. I use much less than I did as a 20 year old and powder shows every wrinkle on my face so I avoid it.

Attitude goes a long way. I have been fortunate to have good examples of what to do and what not to do in my family. My Aunt Lucy born in the late 1800's chose not to marry and have kids at a time when that was what was expected of women. She traveled,belonged to clubs and kept active. My Aunt Ruth also born In the late 1800's didn't marry either but went to Africa to be a missionary. My Aunt Hazel who did marry and had 6 kids went back to school in her 40's to be a nurse. She was always active and trying new things right up until she died. She lived to be 98; when her hearing and eyesight began to fail she learned how to read brail. My Mom is 73 and still works and still moves. All of these women Kept up with themselves and life and that's what I plan to do. My bucket list includes hand gliding,Martial arts,and jet sking. Now my grandmother did the same thing that the sister in the article did. When Grandpa died she sat on the couch and vegetated. No way am I doing that.

The only thing about growing old is makeup. If you don't get it right I find women tend to look older with it on IMO. I use much less than I did as a 20 year old and powder shows every wrinkle on my face so I avoid it.

Great role models, all! Most of my friends are 10+ years younger than I, and they are the ones who initiate the many things we do together. It was hard early on with this disease, but I decided it wasn't going to beat me down. So far, so good. Although it will one day as it is progressive even with treatment. But I'm not going 'gentle into that good night.'

http://www.bigeye.com/donotgo.htm

Excellent points all!

Having studied scinece, I have to give men a pass, though. They are biologically wired, without even cognitively processing it, to be attracted to women who look most likely to bear their children. And that puts us older ladies out of the running unless a man has figured out how to override mother nature on that one. Some have, and simply don't want the immaturity they have to deal with in a younger woman. A few years back in my 50s I was dating this guy, he and I both knew a guy his/my age who had taken up residence with a very much young woman just out of college. My friend's comment about the dude with the younger woman, 'he just has more problems that I do in order to need that.' But in reality men are biologically engineered to procreate and choose women who will facilitate that task. Some get past it. Most do not.

You're right, it's just when a man passes the point when he personally doesn't want more kids you'd hope they would look for a woman about the same age. I don't understand how anybody could be interested in a person drastically younger then they are; I would find a much younger man irritating at best. My Dad married a woman four years older than my oldest sister;what they find to have in common IDK. How she doesn't get bored with him IDK because they seem to be in two totally different places in life.

Excellent points all!

You're right, it's just when a man passes the point when he personally doesn't want more kids you'd hope they would look for a woman about the same age. I don't understand how anybody could be interested in a person drastically younger then they are; I would find a much younger man irritating at best. My Dad married a woman four years older than my oldest sister;what they find to have in common IDK. How she doesn't get bored with him IDK because they seem to be in two totally different places in life.

Sex.

Excellent points all!

Sex.

Yes please. :lol:

Yeah, that is very true.

Yeah, me too. It takes work to put the aches and pains aside, and to think and act in a more positive way.

I think some of them are just so set in their ways, and they figure they are old who cares....I don't really blame them though.

Yeah, that is very true.

I think some of them are just so set in their ways, and they figure they are old who cares....I don't really blame them though.

My sister in law's mother used to say 'I'm old now. I can say what I want and other people just have to deal with it.' Yeah, she was a real jewel to be around! NOT!!!!