Are New Battle Rules Tying Soldiers Hands?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Vel, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    It seems to me that this order, while I understand the premise behind it, will result in the Taliban stepping up using civilians to defeat the U.S. military. It reminds me of the legislation they had in Florida that denied you the right to defend yourself if you could run away.

June 22, 2009
    New US battle rule: No fighting near Afghan homes

By JASON STRAZIUSO
    Associated Press Writer
    The top U.S. general in Afghanistan will soon formally order U.S. and NATO forces to break away from fights with militants hiding in Afghan houses so the battles do not kill civilians, a U.S. official said Monday.
    The order would be one of the strongest measures taken by a U.S. commander to protect Afghan civilians in battle. American commanders say such deaths hurt their mission because they turn average Afghans against the government and U.S. and NATO forces.
    Civilian casualties are a major source of friction between Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the U.S. The U.N. says U.S., NATO and Afghan forces killed 829 civilians in the Afghan war last year.
    Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who took command of international forces in Afghanistan this month, has said his measure of effectiveness will be the "number of Afghans shielded from violence," and not the number of militants killed.
    McChrystal will issue orders within days saying troops may attack insurgents hiding in Afghan houses if the U.S. or NATO forces are in imminent danger and must return fire, said U.S. military spokesman Rear Adm. Greg Smith.
    "But if there is a compound they're taking fire from and they can remove themselves from the area safely, without any undue danger to the forces, then that's the option they should take," Smith said. "Because in these compounds we know there are often civilians kept captive by the Taliban."
    McChrystal's predecessor, Gen. David McKiernan, issued rules last fall that told commanders to set conditions "to minimize the need to resort to deadly force."

www.mysanantonio.com

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    read "lone survivor" you will understand roe's and there impact on us troops

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  3. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914

I haven't read the book, but I'm somewhat familiar with the story. The story also doesn't change my opinion about this new policy. I think that our troops need to be as chary of Afghan civilians physical well being and their cultural sensitivities as possible, but, I also believe that announcing this policy is tantamount to instructing the Taliban as to how they can defeat the U.S. military.

4. Metternich

Metternich Federalist Farmer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    To consider the nature of what the Taliban is, is to accept that there are few honestly 'innocent' Afghans in the areas which have the largest Taliban concentrations. The Taliban does not have a military because it it is an idea - at best - an idea that anyone can pick up after work, shoot a few rounds at American and NATO soldiers, then go home to screw the wife. To believe that not targeting that persons house because we're fearful he'll become a true full-timer like a few thousand is a poor policy.

We know from Iraq a few ground rules, A: we need the people on our side, B: it's more then a kill-count and C: we must rely on troops on the ground.

Yet this is a facsimile fix, a fixing of the fundamentals is what we need - not some hollow gesture that will only kill American troops. We get people on our side by giving them protection, by blowing apart any Taliban (be the individual in question a part or full-timer) that poke their head out. We need more then a kill-count but we need to consider that to have a lower kill-count we'll need more troops (C) and by refusing to act in a marginalizing fashion with regards to that weakness (we have our troops accepting more responsibilities in warfare without more supports) only more casualties can result.

In short, we need more troops not more rules.

5. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    What is really the craps is that the Taliban offered to turn over Ossama the Mama if we would try him in another country other than the USA.

Wonder what would have happened then if they had accepted that offer. Hell, if they didn't find him guilty we could have killed him before he was safely away.

Some politicians just need a war to make them a war time president. As General Smedley Butler, USMC, said: War Is A Racket. You don't make money by not sending the troops off to fight and die for your profit.

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    The ridiculous rules of engagement we are making our soldiers adhere to in Afghanistan and Iraq are undoubtedly leading to the unnecessary deaths of those same soldiers.

And this goes for the idiotic insistence that we MIRANDIZE fucking hostiles. What a load of crap. Why don't we just line our guys up and let the assholes take pot shots at them?

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,852
    Me no likey. Bad idea.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Bootneck

Bootneck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    The Taliban always have, and always will, use cover of civilian areas to attack from. With such ROEs, clearing a village or urban area of insurgents will become a no-no. Tours in Afghanistan are hard enough as it is, without asking troops to enter a fight with one hand tied behind their backs. We might as well use fucking paint ball guns!

Better to confine NATO and US ops in Afghanistan to training their security forces and leaving them to take the fight to the Taliban.

9. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914

I wonder what these kinds of policies are going to do to the re-enlistment rate of our armed forces?

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    We might as well pack it in now and leave.