Are Near Death Experiences And Views Of Heaven True?

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
Colton Burpo, when he was age 4, appendix burst and he nearly died during surgery. Afterward, he had these vivid and colorful descriptions of a place he visited. He said he visited heaven Afterward, his story took off and struck a chord with religious people because of the child's uplifting religious story and wanting to know more about the afterlife. His story became a best-selling book which in-turn became a successful movie. Afterward, a boy named Alex Malarkey, also claimed he visited heaven and had a book written on his experience. However, he revealed later that it was a lie.

Are any of these to be believed? Certainly, Alex Malarkey's story was recanted by the story teller himself, so it needs to be discarded. What about Colton Burpo's story about his near-death experience? He came out and reaffirmed his story after Malarkey's story was recanted. Credible and authoritative Christian websites, such as Answers in Genesis, states that Colton Burpo's Heaven is Real story was part of a young boy's imagination and dream.

They state, "In recent years, Christian booksellers have inundated the evangelical world with testimonies from people who say they visited heaven in near-death experiences. Their stories are full of specific details about what heaven is like, who is there, and what is happening in the celestial realm. But when we compare their claims with Scripture, it becomes clear that they are merely figments of the human imagination, not true visions of heaven as it is described in God’s Word.

The best known of all these tales, Heaven Is for Real,1 was a major motion picture, released in April 2014. It is the story of Colton Burpo, whose parents believe he visited heaven when he was just four—during surgery after a burst appendix nearly took his life. Colton’s descriptions of heaven are full of fanciful features and peculiar details that bear all the earmarks of a child’s vivid imagination. There’s nothing transcendent or even particularly enlightening about Colton’s heaven. It is completely devoid of the breathtaking glory featured in every biblical description of the heavenly realm."

Thus, Colton's story does not back up what the Bible states. He may have believed he was truthful as a little boy describing his dream, but its contents not real and imaginary. Thus, near death experiences may have been imaginary, too. If they are imaginary, then there is less evidence for the afterlife. This is not to say that the afterlife doesn't exist, but what we experience is imaginary or a dream.

The glories of heaven are still glorious, as explained in the AIG article, but none of us have seen or visited heaven just yet.

Are Visits to Heaven for Real?

What do you think?

Colton Burpo, when he was age 4, appendix burst and he nearly died during surgery. Afterward, he had these vivid and colorful descriptions of a place he visited. He said he visited heaven Afterward, his story took off and struck a chord with religious people because of the child's uplifting religious story and wanting to know more about the afterlife. His story became a best-selling book which in-turn became a successful movie. Afterward, a boy named Alex Malarkey, also claimed he visited heaven and had a book written on his experience. However, he revealed later that it was a lie.

Are any of these to be believed? Certainly, Alex Malarkey's story was recanted by the story teller himself, so it needs to be discarded. What about Colton Burpo's story about his near-death experience? He came out and reaffirmed his story after Malarkey's story was recanted. Credible and authoritative Christian websites, such as Answers in Genesis, states that Colton Burpo's Heaven is Real story was part of a young boy's imagination and dream.

They state, "In recent years, Christian booksellers have inundated the evangelical world with testimonies from people who say they visited heaven in near-death experiences. Their stories are full of specific details about what heaven is like, who is there, and what is happening in the celestial realm. But when we compare their claims with Scripture, it becomes clear that they are merely figments of the human imagination, not true visions of heaven as it is described in God’s Word.

The best known of all these tales, Heaven Is for Real,1 was a major motion picture, released in April 2014. It is the story of Colton Burpo, whose parents believe he visited heaven when he was just four—during surgery after a burst appendix nearly took his life. Colton’s descriptions of heaven are full of fanciful features and peculiar details that bear all the earmarks of a child’s vivid imagination. There’s nothing transcendent or even particularly enlightening about Colton’s heaven. It is completely devoid of the breathtaking glory featured in every biblical description of the heavenly realm."

Thus, Colton's story does not back up what the Bible states. He may have believed he was truthful as a little boy describing his dream, but its contents not real and imaginary. Thus, near death experiences may have been imaginary, too. If they are imaginary, then there is less evidence for the afterlife. This is not to say that the afterlife doesn't exist, but what we experience is imaginary or a dream.

The glories of heaven are still glorious, as explained in the AIG article, but none of us have seen or visited heaven just yet.

What do you think?
I read the Bible almost everyday, and still have to say, I don’t know

Of course, they are only hallicinations and/or false memories. It is well know fact that trauma and hypoxia can cause these events. And we also know that the human brain is both easily fooled and quite skilled at fooling itself.

Of course, they are only hallicinations and/or false memories. It is well know fact that trauma and hypoxia can cause these events. And we also know that the human brain is both easily fooled and quite skilled at fooling itself.

Esp when your Dad is a preacher and you might hear stories of Jesus in heaven on a horse and Mary his mother is there. Oh it may of been made up to sell a book and even a TV movie.

That could be one explanation, but I'm sure there are others such as neurology and religion are not necessarily contradictory.

I'll leave it to one to find out more and make up their own mind.

Here's a list of scientific explanations.

10 Scientific Explanations For Near-Death Experiences - Listverse

That said, Christians can hear about a NDE such as visiting heaven or seeing God and have a method to to validate.

Last edited:
When near death the body releases large amounts of calcium and other chemicals which wash over the brain. Visions and vivid dreams would be expected in some people, and some of these people survive rather than die these dreams seem real.

That people want to believe it's something else is not surprising.

I thought I was in heaven one time, then I ran out of crack. :biggrin:

What do you think?

You may be interested Googling the story and art work of Akiane Kramarik. Many who report experiences/visions of heaven have dramatically altered their own lives to the extent it is noticeable to others. How many dreams and hallucinations are capable of that? (I don't know, perhaps there are studies.) There are credible NDE's, visions, and even of ghostly appearances. Perhaps there is something beyond worth careful consideration.

(Also keep in mind that anything paranormal can be used as an attention gaining device. Just because only a few stories are true, will not make them all true.)

Of course, but do you think there is scientific evidence for the afterlife? Some people thought NDE provided some evidence
No probably not but check out some of the story's on the internet...they are compelling to say the least...I went for years without mentioning or even thinking about my experience and still I do not bring it up for concern it might make me sound unstable but I believe it was real even today...
Not scientific however...

Of course, but do you think there is scientific evidence for the afterlife? Some people thought NDE provided some evidence
No probably not but check out some of the story's on the internet...they are compelling to say the least...I went for years without mentioning or even thinking about my experience and still I do not bring it up for concern it might make me sound unstable but I believe it was real even today...
Not scientific however...
It would not make you sound unstable at all! ALL humans are prone to hallucinations and false memories.

I can honestly say the descriptions of being able to see everything, and the incredible sense of peace and tranquility, is absolutely true.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back