Are Modern Parents Wussy?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Hobbit, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I was just thinking about this today as I was serving food at my job. When I was a child, my mother typically cooked every night. Whatever she cooked or, on occasion, whatever she brought home, is what we ate, with rare few exceptions (the 'pickled beets' experiment ended in vomit followed by hot dogs). If my mom cooked spaghetti, we had spaghetti. If Mom cooked a chicken, we called dibs on whatever parts there were and ate that chicken. Whatever Mama put on the table is what we ate, because it was either eat that or go hungry.

Now, what brings this up. Well, at the deli where I work (in a Publix, for those of you from the southeast), we sell pieces of fried chicken two ways. The first is boxes. We have boxes ranging from 8-20 piece available in either mixed or dark. The second is piece by piece. This can be quite expensive if you get more than about 2 pieces. In fact, 3 breasts cost almost as much as an 8 piece mixed box. Therefore, whenever somebody asks to buy more than just a couple of pieces, I point out the boxes. However, I see more and more people seriously overpaying for their chicken because their kids are only willing to eat select pieces of the chicken. Apparantly, these moms aren't tough enough to tell their kids that thighs taste good, too.

Alone, this doesn't amount to much, but I see it as indicative of a larger, scary trend, and that is parents unwilling to stand up to their children. I see little brats running around the aisles, grabbing stuff at random, screaming their heads off, and, much like Democrats to terrorists, the parents just try to appease them, hoping that stuffing a piece of candy down their throats will shut them up. Parents are turning into wusses, and it really helps explain things like Emo, one of the dumbest, wimpiest, most self-righteous trends among teenagers I've ever seen.

So, thought? Commentary? Am I way off, or do you see the increasing wussiness in parents, as well?

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Yes - to answer your question. By and Large today's parents are NINNIES.

3. Redhots

Redhots Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Everyone thinks their generation was the most hardcore badasses on the planet.

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Oh, not me. My generation is full of ninnies. Unless we're 'compelled' to get up and go fight Iran sometime soon, I fear for the next generation. Being raised by ninnies doesn't tend to have good results.

5. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The kids today, who make kids of their own, should have never made it. Go to Walmart and listen to the children tell their parents what they want... More like demand what they want..

Of course, if you look near the checkout lanes, up off the ceilings, you will see cell phone ads that say " Foreign language",, what the ad is saying, your kids need a phone that text messages so the little bastards can play with their friends and not pay attention to the teachers.. Next time, parents of the kids who use these phones,, do oral sex till completion, or use two types of contraception. Mechanical and chemical. :flameth:

6. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Every generation, starting with the boomers, is getting progressively wimpier. Trends tend to swing back in the opposite direction, though, so I am hopeful for a tougher, WWII-type generation down the road.

Btw, can someone explain Emo to me? All I know about it is that my daughter sees it as kind of pathetic.

7. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    This seems to cover it...
    http://www.fourfa.com/

8. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Thanks, J.

I started laughing when I read this part from the site:

"The vocal style is usually much more intense than emocore, ranging from normal singing in the quiet parts to a kind of pleading howl to gut-wrenching screams to actual sobbing and crying."

Remember when teen music was all macho and stuff?

9. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Big hair bands?

:guitar1:

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What else can they be whe PC laws empower children while emasculating parents? The only time the law allows you to be the parent is when they are affixing blame/responsibility.