Are Middle Class Conservatives Crazy?

Are Middle Class Conservatives Crazy For Supporting a Flat Tax?

• Don't Know/Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How do you figure a flat tax of 20 percent is raising taxes on the middle class when the average income tax rate for middle class is 28 percent?

Any plan that lowers the total amount of federal income tax receipts (and capital gains taxes) collected from high income earners will require raising taxes on another segment of the population. Poor people don't have that kind of money, and middle class earners are the largest single group in this country. Who do YOU think is going to have to make up the difference?

That doesn't explain how person who is paying a 28 percent tax rate now and who would be paying a 20 percent flat rate under Perry's plan would be paying more.

You can cut spending to offset the decrease in revenue. I know it's a wacky idea!

How come you decided to skip the 10% and 15% tax brackets?

Oh, I know...didn't fit the cute little story you were trying to tell.

Any plan that lowers the total amount of federal income tax receipts (and capital gains taxes) collected from high income earners will require raising taxes on another segment of the population. Poor people don't have that kind of money, and middle class earners are the largest single group in this country. Who do YOU think is going to have to make up the difference?

That doesn't explain how person who is paying a 28 percent tax rate now and who would be paying a 20 percent flat rate under Perry's plan would be paying more.

You can cut spending to offset the decrease in revenue. I know it's a wacky idea!

I didn't use those rates because under Perry's plan those people will keep their current tax rates therefore irrelevant to the discussion

I didn't use those rates because under Perry's plan those people will keep their current tax rates therefore irrelevant to the discussion

I thought the plan was optional for everyone. You could pick his tax plan or the old/current plan.

I'm serious.

After listening to middle class conservatives accuse, and subsequently condemn, President Obama for every real or imagined policy change under the sun (like supposedly raising taxes on everyone), these same middle class conservatives are simply thrilled with Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan and Perry's flat tax plan when both of those plans virtually guarantee to raise taxes on the middle class while lowering taxes on the wealthy.

I don't get it.

How do you figure a flat tax of 20 percent is raising taxes on the middle class when the average income tax rate for middle class is 28 percent?

Shouldn't those 47% of Americans who pay no federal income tax have to pay their........"fair share"? After all, the 1% who hold 18% of the wealth in this nation are paying 39% of the over all taxes now. They are already paying the lion's share, so I don't know how much more they would need to pay to be giving what Dear Leader calls a "fair share".

I thought the plan was optional for everyone. You could pick his tax plan or the old/current plan.

It is optional, but why would a person that's paying a marginal rate of 10 or 15 percent opt to pay 20 percent?

Hmmmm.....me and the wife have a combined income well into six figures. And with our adjusted gross income and write offs pay in the 15%-17% range.

It is optional, but why would a person that's paying a marginal rate of 10 or 15 percent opt to pay 20 percent?

Right and who again are paying 25%? IF Warren Buffet is paying 17% then which plan do you think he is going to pick. 25% is only on part of income, the effective rate is lower than that.

Hmmmm.....me and the wife have a combined income well into six figures. And with our adjusted gross income and write offs pay in the 15%-17% range.

Then you would probably want to stay at your current rate.

Then you would probably want to stay at your current rate.

Exactly, most people would. So Perrys plan is moot.

I'm serious.

After listening to middle class conservatives accuse, and subsequently condemn, President Obama for every real or imagined policy change under the sun (like supposedly raising taxes on everyone), these same middle class conservatives are simply thrilled with Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan and Perry's flat tax plan when both of those plans virtually guarantee to raise taxes on the middle class while lowering taxes on the wealthy.

I don't get it.

Misguided would be more apt. A powerful propaganda campaign has them pissed off at Democrats that want to tax their fantasy world.

I'm serious.

I don't get it.

inability to do math?

You don't understand wealth creation at all, do you?

Shouldnt the fact that he wants to give the government more power to take money from the people answer that question?

i know it's difficult for some people to understand. But a flat tax is when people pay the same rate regardless of income. In other words, they are all equal in the eyes of the law. I know this equality and fair share concept is difficult for some. I dont know why it is. But it is for some.

But since when is treating people equally and fairly been what this nation was about? Wait... from the beginning? Shoot.

I'm serious.

I don't get it.

Not to defend either plan, but Americans currently are living in La-La Land, wanting services but not wanting to pay for them. They want other people to pay for them, i.e. the rich. So people supporting a plan that raises taxes on themselves while lowering it on others is a refreshing change.

I don't believe that this country is going to maintain (and pay to maintain) two completely different (separate) tax systems. It will be one or the other.

I'm serious.

I don't get it.

unlike progressives, conservatives have an ideology that does not change to accommodate personal needs.

We believe what we beleive...even if we feel it is not in our best interest in the short run.
Conservcatives are willing to suffer the pain of holding true to our beliefs.

Me? I will feel an increase. I am a top 5%er, but not top 1%er....but I know it will be good for my children, and their children.

You see...I am willing to suffer the consequences of the actions of my generation and the actions of the politicians of my generation......

Progressives refuse to suffer the pain...they want to kick the can down the road.

Don't kid yourself (or me). Ideology aside, most people with common sense are usually motivated by their own self-interest.

But let me respond to your claim that 'conservatives have an ideology that does not change to accommodate personal needs'. My understanding is that ideology is to reject HIGHER taxes on anyone and everyone in favor of LOWERING taxes for everyone.

The flat tax fails that test. So, it's a double whammy. It's against BOTH conservative ideology AND the self-interest of anyone who doesn't want to pay higher taxes. Consequently, supporting a flat tax is illogical unless a person is a member of a wealthier segment of society whose taxes will absolutely go down.

Forum List

Back