Are Libertarians Closet Anarchists?

Narco-libertarianism is the first cousin to anarchism and second cousin to Bolshevism. Their views are impractical and lead to some absurd conclusions. They are based on romantic notions of human beings going back to Rousseau that have been disproven time and again.

Why do people who support the same Democrats that gave STDs to helpless Guatemalans in the 40s, always feel the need to use the "racism" card, or the "anarchy" card?

Whacked people these Democrats, sick bastards.

Don't look now, but we have more poor people since Obama............

So, Skull Pilot, what is an essential government service IYO? Do you agree with RGS, these services should be delivered locally?

Is there any need at all, in your view, for a state or federal government? If so, what for?

I believe I already stipulated that government is a necessary evil

Federal government is needed but it should be limited to functions of national security and international affairs.

It makes sense that local governments handle the rest.

Do you see a role for the federal government in regulating banking/finance? Commerce?

No.

I call myself a libertarian and do not believe I am an anarchist.

As far as "essential" government services go I would ask you to define essential. A certain amount of government is a necessary evil but I do not feel that most of what government does these days is essential.

So, Skull Pilot, what is an essential government service IYO? Do you agree with RGS, these services should be delivered locally?

Is there any need at all, in your view, for a state or federal government? If so, what for?

I am NOT a libertarian, do NOT ascribe to me their beliefs just because I informed you of them.

Libertarians believe that anything above the County level is unneeded Government. They believe that rather then pass criminal laws you just use civil law to sue people for any "affront". Get raped? No problem sue them in a local court for damages. Prisons would not exist for most current crimes.

Someone murders your family? Sue them in civil Court.

Your house catches on fire? To damn bad, should have been more careful.

I'm a libertarian that understands the necessary role of federal government.

So it looks like your attempt to label "libertarians" just failed.

I am NOT a libertarian, do NOT ascribe to me their beliefs just because I informed you of them.

Libertarians believe that anything above the County level is unneeded Government. They believe that rather then pass criminal laws you just use civil law to sue people for any "affront". Get raped? No problem sue them in a local court for damages. Prisons would not exist for most current crimes.

I'm a libertarian that understands the necessary role of federal government.

So it looks like your attempt to label "libertarians" just failed.

it always does.

it seems that no one can think on a continuum anymore

Godd grief...the libertarian/anarchist analogy again. :rolleyes:

Libertarians are one step up from Anarchy. Pretty simple concept to fathom.

Many small l libertarians hold just about the same views as most mainstream conservatives.

Where we part is on foreign policy, where we don't see policing the entire fucking world as necessary or even beneficial at all.

Also, I don't know a single libertarian who doesn't subscribe to the idea of states rights. So to say that we ignore any government above the county level is just absurd.

You shouldn't be participating in this thread.

I have written several pieces on libertarians as it seems to me the worst kind of political idea. I won't bore you all with them now, but see these links for excellent analysis of what really amounts to naive selfishness as solution.

Why I Am Not a Libertarian
Why is libertarianism wrong?
Critiques Of Libertarianism: So You Want To Discuss Libertarianism....
The American Conservative -- Marxism of the Right

liberatarian conservative debate

Reflections on an Early Libertarian
Why I Am Not a Conservative

Midcan's all you need to know about politics.

Conservatism in a Nutshell

A man is lost in the woods and it starts snowing, off in the distance he sees a cabin. Slowly he makes his way only to find a locked gate, he rings the bell and a voice asks what he wants. He tells the voice his plight and is told by the voice that there is a church down the road and that they will pray for him.

Libertarianism in a Nutshell

The snow continues and growing more tired and cold, the man sees another cabin, struggling he barely makes it and knocks and finally opens the door to warm himself. There is a full kettle of hot soup, he helps himself. Soon out of a back room comes a man, he scolds the man and tells him to leave as this is private property. The man stumbles out the door.

Liberalism in a Nutshell

Nearly exhausted the man sees a third cabin. Slowly he makes his way, opens the door and warms himself. There is soup in a kettle and he helps himself. From a back room a woman enters, she sits down next to him and they talk. He sleeps the night on the floor and the next morning goes on his way.

Last edited:
I have written several pieces on libertarians as it seems to me the worst kind of political idea. I won't bore you all with them now, but see these links for excellent analysis of what really amounts to naive selfishness as solution.

Why I Am Not a Libertarian
Why is libertarianism wrong?
Critiques Of Libertarianism: So You Want To Discuss Libertarianism....
The American Conservative -- Marxism of the Right

liberatarian conservative debate

Reflections on an Early Libertarian
Why I Am Not a Conservative

Midcan's all you need to know about politics.

Conservatism in a Nutshell

A man is lost in the woods and it starts snowing, off in the distance he sees a cabin. Slowly he makes his way only to find a locked gate, he rings the bell and a voice asks what he wants. He tells the voice his plight and is told by the voice that there is a church down the road and that they will pray for him.

Libertarianism in a Nutshell

The snow continues and growing more tired and cold, the man sees another cabin, struggling he barely makes it and knocks and finally opens the door to warm himself. There is a full kettle of hot soup, he helps himself. Soon out of a back room comes a man, he scolds the man and tells him to leave as this is private property. The man stumbles out the door.

Liberalism in a Nutshell

Nearly exhausted the man sees a third cabin. Slowly he makes his way, opens the door and warms himself. There is soup in a kettle and he helps himself. From a back room a woman enters, she sits down next to him and they talk. He sleeps the night on the floor and the next morning goes on his way.

Libertarianism in a nutshell.

The man was smart enough not to go out in a fucking snowstorm and being responsible for himself was prudent enough to stock his pantry for the winter.

Liberalism in a nutshell.

The man who was smart enough not to go out in a fucking snow storm and to fill his pantry before the winter has government tell him that he is selfish and greedy and should give his food and firewood to the lazy shits who are stupid enough to get lost in a snow storm and who didn't prepare for the winter.

I call myself a libertarian and do not believe I am an anarchist.

As far as "essential" government services go I would ask you to define essential. A certain amount of government is a necessary evil but I do not feel that most of what government does these days is essential.

Wow. We might become the un-united states of the new somalia.

Wow. We might become the un-united states of the new somalia.
Idiot. In case you missed it, all the poster is doing is describing libertarian views.

Moron.

We've argued over the house left to burn because the homeowner failed to pay an optional fee for fire protection, and many "Libertarians'" or conservatives have argued vehemently against using the taxing power of government to assure fire protection for every structure.

Fine, fine fine....but it left me wondering, what do Libertarians see as essential government services?

I'm sure there's no one universally-accepted Libertarian hymnal, but I have read so often on USMB that "education is never mentioned in the constitution" and "the general welfare clause does not support Obamacare", etc. I am fairly certain most Libertarians are opposed to any social program whatsoever. Am I correct in this?

What about national defense? Immigration and border protection?

How about currency, banking regulation etc.? Any role for government in this vein considered to be essential by Libertarians?

What about criminal law and justice? Would a Libertarian support anti-drug or anti-abortion laws? Anti-suicide laws? Anti-murder laws?

We could just close all government offices and declare the US is now a ginormous commune. Does that appeal to a Libertarian?

Just how close is a Libertarian to an anarchist?

Libertarian-Party-Logo.png

Please don't equate the Libertarian Party with all libertarians.

Here are some answers, however.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/117696-what-is-libertarianism.html

That's pretty radical. What happens if your rapist is poor?

It's also incorrect to say that libertarians would favor abolition of prisons. Even anarcho-libertarians would have prisons.

Local governments alone dont have the power to establish universities or hospitals, or even an economy. Theyre too poor. It doesnt work. A libertarian society would rot, and then come crawling back to the big bad federal government for a handout.

Strange how we had all those things before the federal government usurped that role for itself then, isn't it?

Are Libertarians Closet Anarchists?
No, they are fake anarchists. They will send their children to public schools, take government loans, use any government service they can while telling everyone else that they have no right to do so.

In other words, they have their hands out while spitting in yours.

We also use public roads.

Though how we would get anywhere without them is beyond me.

Narco-libertarianism is the first cousin to anarchism and second cousin to Bolshevism. Their views are impractical and lead to some absurd conclusions. They are based on romantic notions of human beings going back to Rousseau that have been disproven time and again.

Yes, free market capitalists are "second cousins" to communists. Makes perfect sense.

I'm a staunch conservative and a libertarian when it comes to the federal government and how it should be run. State governments I'm not as fiscally tough on. Personally I think the federal government's only job should be maintaining federal roads, border security, foreign relations, making sure states keep up with standards in education, and military upkeep.

All this other shit is worthless and the Feds have proven that they just can't handle it all. Policing the world, fighting a "drug war", all these federal entitlement programs, the feds are too broken to handle that stuff and are just completely incompetent because they've become over-bloated and too large.

Just how close is a Libertarian to an anarchist?

There are some libertarians who are anarchists, but most of us are minarchists. We believe in individual liberty and empowerment, with the government's primary role being protection of those liberties and maintaining a civil society. Iow, a nation of laws, and not men.

Last edited:

Yes, free market capitalists are "second cousins" to communists. Makes perfect sense.

They're not "free market capitalists." That's a lie. How many narco libertarians favor private court systems?

I believe I already stipulated that government is a necessary evil

Federal government is needed but it should be limited to functions of national security and international affairs.

It makes sense that local governments handle the rest.

Do you see a role for the federal government in regulating banking/finance? Commerce?

No.

Do you see any need for a national currency? The Federal Reserve System?

Forum List

Back