Are Koreans this stupid?

Ask PoliticalChic, she's Korean. Not only that, she believes that an anecdotal example of something is enough to tar a whole segment of the population with the same brush...as she's done a hundred times with liberals lol.

Her Irish accent may have been a factor for not being offered a job in Korea and heavily accented English is very confusing for any English learners. But Ms Mulrennan managed to find a teaching job in Seoul in the end and she can now laugh off the whole episode. American English is preferable in the Far East to any other forms of English including British English, which is the standard in any language schools in Europe. A white female teacher from the US or Canada is the most sought-after English teacher in Asia and you don't want to catch bad Aussie or South African accents.

"Many of the jobs here openly advertise wanting an American/Canadian female regardless of qualifications. Koreans can be very blunt when it comes to appearances and stereotypes etc." He also revealed that the variety of Irish accents can be detrimental to teachers coming from Ireland and said: "There's also definitely a pecking order when it comes to which English speaking country you come from as a teacher. America/Canada is top and Ireland/South Africa/Scotland are probably tied for the bottom. The huge variety of Irish accents is pretty baffling to not only Koreans but anyone from outside of Ireland. I've often had American friends comment on how different my accent is compared to their former Irish co-workers."

Irish girl turned down for South Korea teaching job because of alcoholism nature of your kind - Irish Mirror Online

Her Irish accent may have been a factor for not being offered a job in Korea and heavily accented English is very confusing for any English learners. But Ms Mulrennan managed to find a teaching job in Seoul in the end and she can now laugh off the whole episode. American English is preferable in the Far East to any other forms of English including British English, which is the standard in any language schools in Europe. A white female teacher from the US or Canada is the most sought-after English teacher in Asia and you don't want to catch bad Aussie or South African accents.

"Many of the jobs here openly advertise wanting an American/Canadian female regardless of qualifications. Koreans can be very blunt when it comes to appearances and stereotypes etc." He also revealed that the variety of Irish accents can be detrimental to teachers coming from Ireland and said: "There's also definitely a pecking order when it comes to which English speaking country you come from as a teacher. America/Canada is top and Ireland/South Africa/Scotland are probably tied for the bottom. The huge variety of Irish accents is pretty baffling to not only Koreans but anyone from outside of Ireland. I've often had American friends comment on how different my accent is compared to their former Irish co-workers."

Irish girl turned down for South Korea teaching job because of alcoholism nature of your kind - Irish Mirror Online

Good observation. There was a story on CCTV awhile back on foreign English-speakers looking for teaching jobs in Korea and China. Like you say, Americans & Canadians are on top of the list as goes hiring...because of their accent being the one these countries prefer English students to adopt. Brits came in third.

BBC News - Irish alcoholism nature reason for job rejection for Irish teacher in South Korea

Hopefully she fights for the job and gets it. Hopefully the U.S. Government finds out about this and pulls all U.S. Military forces from South Korea.
Interesting, and thanks for posting this.

I've taught English in China for four years. Just yesterday the first African American started working with me. A lot of companies won't hire them, but I recently started at a much more professional school.

Going to show this around the office.

Not so. Teachers with British English, standard British English, not Scots or Irish accents, not Aussie, etc., are well sought after around the world. Good British English, American and Canadian English speakers. I have known very well two people from Glasgow, Scotland. One speaks with a strong, almost unintelligible accent. The other, as a university graduate and professional business man, made a point of losing the strong Glasgow accent; he has an slight lilt and voice that would make Sean Connery envious. I also know someone who, as a professional English teacher, made a point of losing his Brooklyn accent. If you want to be a professional in the world of business or education, you need to speak standard English, clearly.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back