*Are Guns Bad?*

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by chesswarsnow, Dec 30, 2010.

1. chesswarsnow

chesswarsnow "SASQUATCH IS WATCHING"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Sorry bout that,

1. Well are they?
    2. Most deaths due to guns involve a shooter and a dead person.
    3. Can being shot always be blamed on a gun, or does a shooter, and his reasons for shooting have any bearing?
    4.Is shooting some people a good thing?
    5. Can some one get shot, and the shooting be considered a clean shooting, or is the gun still bad, in any case?
    6. Read this, it may change your mind about how you think about this topic:

""The Gun Is Civilization"
    By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat - it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... And that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.

6. Maybe its time to start carrying a peace eh folks?

Regards,
    SirJamesofTexas

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Basically it is like any tool, it is the use it is put to.

However one thing to consider is that many guns are only designed for shooting people.

No quite like killing someone with a hammer which has several other useful purposes.

3. Agit8r

Agit8r Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,174
    Guns like other implements of force are at best a necessary evil

though they can be fun for recreation

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,636
    Bullets kill people. As do lots of other things.

5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,328
    I have owned guns since I was 12 years old. I do not and will not own a gun that is only designed for the killing of other human beings. I can defend myself adaquetly with a hunting gun. And have done so on one occasion. And I will not ever put a gun on an alter as the OP seems to be doing. A gun is a tool. No more to be diefied than a crecent wrench.

6. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    No-more-so than drugs.​

7. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc-fXHTSt8[/ame]​

8. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    LOVE this typo. Irony is overflowing. You're quickly becoming my new favorite poster on this site.

9. Contumacious

Contumacious Radical Freedom

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    Yes, sireee bob, they are.

But only if you are a criminal , which include corrupt politicians and other bureaucrats.

.:eek:

10. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

This seems like a rationalization to me...if you have ever thought "I would take a life with this weapon if I had to." it makes little difference whether the weapon was design solely for that purpose or not.