are firefighters and police more important than teachers ?

They are both important. Putting your life on the line everyday is something not many people want to do. Teaching isnt on that type of level. But it is important.

There are a lot of jobs that are important, and even vital to our society functioning. Doctors, for example. People who risk their lives every day to protect the rest of us, however much the adolescents around here want to make jokes and denigrate, is a whole different level entirely.

We are all Teachers, we don't however all run against the crowd, or into burning buildings, or reach into burning cars to save lives.

Truly. Anyone who wants to rhapsodize about the pre-eminent importance of teachers should pull out a video of 9/11, with all those first responders rushing into the collapsing towers to drag people out, and then tell us all about it.

Tug those heart strings!

When did teachers sign up to run into burning buildings? People choose to do the job they want to do and recognize the risks associated with it.

They are all on the same side of the coin.

So are public employees.

Are you implying teachers can't be teachers without a union?

Maybe I'm wrong here, but the attack is on the union, not the teaching profession.

why on earth would you have a problem with collective bargaining. even with it, government has far more power than teachers.

you don't think they should have any voice because they don't give money to union busters.

They are both important. Putting your life on the line everyday is something not many people want to do. Teaching isnt on that type of level. But it is important.

There are a lot of jobs that are important, and even vital to our society functioning. Doctors, for example. People who risk their lives every day to protect the rest of us, however much the adolescents around here want to make jokes and denigrate, is a whole different level entirely.

Who has denigrated firefighters and policemen? The only people I see being denigrated are teachers.

Society needs both firefighters and teachers.

Gov. David ”I’m Mr. Koch’s whore!’ Walker is obviously cynically trying to pit firefighters and cops against teachers and public nurses, and split their support.

But like most fringe rightwingers, Gov. Walker is evidently unaware that most human beings, including most firefighters, have humility and modesty about their jobs and are not prone to viewing themselves as superior to other public workers. The chances are slim to none that the firefighters union is going to throw the teachers union under the bus, and support Walkers cynical proposal to only let firefighters and cops have collective bargaining.

Most human beings have humility and modesty about their jobs . . . except for teachers. I can't think of another job/profession in the world about which we hear a constant tirade of "Oh, my GOD, this is so important, and you selfish bastards undervalue it. Don't you understand it's FOR THE CHILDREN?!" I can't think of another job/profession that has as many award ceremonies every year as teachers. Even actors, otherwise the penultimate example of narcissistic navel-gazing, don't have that many award ceremonies.

Gov. David ”I’m Mr. Koch’s whore!’ Walker is obviously cynically trying to pit firefighters and cops against teachers and public nurses, and split their support.

But like most fringe rightwingers, Gov. Walker is evidently unaware that most human beings, including most firefighters, have humility and modesty about their jobs and are not prone to viewing themselves as superior to other public workers. The chances are slim to none that the firefighters union is going to throw the teachers union under the bus, and support Walkers cynical proposal to only let firefighters and cops have collective bargaining.

Most human beings have humility and modesty about their jobs . . . except for teachers. I can't think of another job/profession in the world about which we hear a constant tirade of "Oh, my GOD, this is so important, and you selfish bastards undervalue it. Don't you understand it's FOR THE CHILDREN?!" I can't think of another job/profession that has as many award ceremonies every year as teachers. Even actors, otherwise the penultimate example of narcissistic navel-gazing, don't have that many award ceremonies.

See? Denigration.

If teaching is such a sweet gig, why don't you get in on it?

I think your characterization of teachers only exists in the fevered rantings of rightwing websites, and the speculation and opinion on a myriad of wingnut blogs. It doesn't have any resemblance to the real life reality I'm aware of. I can't recall ever once in my life hearing a teacher brag, strut, and bellow about how awesome and superior they are to other professions.

So are public employees.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but the attack is on the union, not the teaching profession.

Yes, but you try to do something about the stranglehold civil servant unions have on the state's budget, and suddenly you've got to hear the non-stop caterwauling about "devaluing" teachers, and how they're all Mother Theresa with chalk dust on their fingers.

I think your characterization of teachers only exists in the fevered rantings of rightwing websites, and the speculation and opinion on a myriad of wingnut blogs. It doesn't have any resemblance to the real life reality I'm aware of. I can't recall ever once in my life hearing a teacher brag, strut, and bellow about how awesome and superior they are to other professions.

I think YOU ought to grasp your ears and pull until you hear the popping sound, which will indicate your head leaving your rectum. If you haven't noticed the teachers, their pom-pom girls, and the constant whining from all of them about how every teacher in the country is a candidate for canonization, then your powers of observation are even worse than your ability to make a valid point.

So are public employees.

Yes, but you try to do something about the stranglehold civil servant unions have on the state's budget, and suddenly you've got to hear the non-stop caterwauling about "devaluing" teachers, and how they're all Mother Theresa with chalk dust on their fingers.

If you want to bust the unions, fine. At least be consistent about it.

Why were cops and firefighters exempted? Is this a principled stand or a political one?

david gregory just asked gov walker on meat the press, about some exemptions for police and fire, while still encouraging them to engage in collective bargaining.

""are you saying that sand police are more important than teachers who spend six hours a day in a class room?"

and i say... yes, yes they are. they are more important to our society.

They are if your house is on fire.

What Walker was hoping to do was divide and conquer the union working class.

Apparently the WI cops aren't quite so stupid as he'd hoped they'd be.

Illinois State Lodge President Ted Street said in a prepared statement that the Western Springs-based Illinois FOP is ready to stand with all Illinois labor organizations in support of those states that are being unfairly attacked through this sort of legislation and hopes that "we can all unite to ensure this situation does not continue to spread."

source

So are public employees.

yes, i am "implying" just that, the unions seek collective agreements, for the mass body of teachers, which has always surprised me because teachers are smart and can speak for themselves.
i am also implying that the heart and liver are both replaceable.

Last edited:
People can argue about Unions all they want, but the Federal, State and Local governments don't have the money anymore. It's that simple.

The public unions in Wisconsin have already conceded to pay cuts, furlough, and increased contributions to their pensions and health care benefits. A 135 million dollar deficit, or whatever Walker claims it is, really isn't that huge. The concessions the unions already offered combined with minimal debt restructuring would solve the problem. So the only thing holding up an agreement is Walkers emotional and ideological hatred of union collective bargaining rights.

Question: if the budget deficit was really that dire, why did Walker immediately ram through tax cuts for rich people who hardly need more tax cuts, when he took office? Are rich people suffering that badly?

So are public employees.

yes, i am "implying" just that, the unions seek collective agreements, for the mass body of teachers, which has always surprised me because teachers are smart and can speak for themselves.

So you are pro-union as long as the unions support an organization you think is important?

I think it would really suck if our police and fire fighters were illiterate.

I suppose in the future, if you have your way, you could get ticketed for "running the big red octagon".

i am also implying that the heart and liver are both replaceable.

What about the brain? There could be hope for you, yet.

People can argue about Unions all they want, but the Federal, State and Local governments don't have the money anymore. It's that simple.

The public unions in Wisconsin have already conceded to pay cuts, furlough, and increased contributions to their pensions and health care benefits. A 135 million dollar deficit, or whatever Walker claims it is, really isn't that huge. The concessions the unions already offered combined with minimal debt restructuring would solve the problem. So the only thing holding up an agreement is Walkers emotional and ideological hatred of union collective bargaining rights.

Question: if the budget deficit was really that dire, why did Walker immediately ram through tax cuts for rich people who hardly need more tax cuts, when he took office? Are rich people suffering that badly?

The question du joir.

Also, can someone tell me how eliminating collective bargaining offers any sort of immediate fix to the state's budget problems?

The question du joir.

Also, can someone tell me how eliminating collective bargaining offers any sort of immediate fix to the state's budget problems?

teachers need to come to grips about the duds they are carrying and protecting involuntarily. police your own group. i have nothing against teachers, i was one. in school, i had some good ones. it's real simple, raise the bar and you can have whatever you want.

Last edited:
teachers need to come to grips about the duds they are carrying and protecting involuntarily. police your own group. i have nothing against teachers, i was one. in school, i had some good ones. it's real simple, raise the bar and you can have whatever you want.

And that is different from any other profession how?

What about the police? Are you going to tell me that their are no bad cops or cops that can't run 50 meters without getting winded?

Forum List

Back