Are earmarks needed in this bailout?

A few of the earmarks stuffed in the bill:

- Film and Television Productions (Sec. 502)
- Wooden Arrows designed for use by children (Sec. 503)
- 6 page package of earmarks for litigants in the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident, Alaska (Sec. 504)

Tax earmark “extenders” in the bailout bill.
- Virgin Island and Puerto Rican Rum (Section 308)
- American Samoa (Sec. 309)
- Mine Rescue Teams (Sec. 310)
- Mine Safety Equipment (Sec. 311)
- Domestic Production Activities in Puerto Rico (Sec. 312)
- Indian Tribes (Sec. 314, 315)
- Railroads (Sec. 316)
- Auto Racing Tracks (317)
- District of Columbia (Sec. 322)
- Wool Research (Sec. 325)

hmmm I read the bailout proposal on Monday... I didn't see any of that in there... do you have a link to this legislation?

$1.416 TRILLION since January and the market lost 1.2 Trillion on Monday just by the REpublicans getting their feelings hurt by Nancy.

hmmm I read the bailout proposal on Monday... I didn't see any of that in there... do you have a link to this legislation?

$1.416 TRILLION since January and the market lost 1.2 Trillion on Monday just by the REpublicans getting their feelings hurt by Nancy.

Take off your fucking blinders if you want anyone to take you seriously.

the market got much of it back on tuesday....near 500 point gain after the 777 drop on monday....

Earmarks? what earmarks?

The Democratic ACORN bailout; Update
September 26, 2008 by Ed Morrissey
Hot Air Blog Archive The Democratic ACORN bailout; Update: Video added

House Republicans refused to support the Henry Paulson/Chris Dodd compromise bailout plan yesterday afternoon, even after the New York Times reported that Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson got down on one knee to beg Nancy Pelosi to compromise. One of the sticking points, as Senator Lindsey Graham explained later, wasn’t a lack of begging but a poison pill that would push 20% of all profits from the bailout into the Housing Trust Fund — a boondoggle that Democrats in Congress has used to fund political-action groups like ACORN and the National Council of La Raza.

The Wall Street Journal reported on the HTF/ACORN/Democratic connections in July:

The housing bill signed Wednesday by President George W. Bush will provide a stream of billions of dollars for distressed homeowners and communities and the nonprofit groups that serve them.

One of the biggest likely beneficiaries, despite Republican objections: Acorn, a housing advocacy group that also helps lead ambitious voter-registration efforts benefiting Democrats. …

Partly because of the role of Acorn and other housing advocacy groups, the White House and its allies in Congress resisted Democrats’ plans to include money for a new affordable-housing trust fund and $4 billion in grants to restore housing in devastated neighborhoods. In the end, the money stayed in the bill; the White House saw little choice.

What most riles Republicans about the bill is the symbiotic relationship between the Democratic Party and the housing advocacy groups, of which Acorn is among the biggest. Groups such as the National Council of La Raza and the National Urban League also lobby to secure government-funded services for their members and seek to move them to the voting booth. Acorn has been singled out for criticism because of its reach, its endorsements of Democrats, and past flaws in its bookkeeping and voter-registration efforts that its detractors in Congress have seized upon.

A few of the earmarks stuffed in the bill:

- Film and Television Productions (Sec. 502)
- Wooden Arrows designed for use by children (Sec. 503)
- 6 page package of earmarks for litigants in the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident, Alaska (Sec. 504)

Tax earmark “extenders” in the bailout bill.
- Virgin Island and Puerto Rican Rum (Section 308)
- American Samoa (Sec. 309)
- Mine Rescue Teams (Sec. 310)
- Mine Safety Equipment (Sec. 311)
- Domestic Production Activities in Puerto Rico (Sec. 312)
- Indian Tribes (Sec. 314, 315)
- Railroads (Sec. 316)
- Auto Racing Tracks (317)
- District of Columbia (Sec. 322)
- Wool Research (Sec. 325)

Yep, just verified it.....they are all in there...and more. Katrina relief, Mid-west disaster relief....and on and on and on. Just more reason to just say NO!

Earmarks? what earmarks?

The Democratic ACORN bailout; Update
September 26, 2008 by Ed Morrissey
Hot Air Blog Archive The Democratic ACORN bailout; Update: Video added

House Republicans refused to support the Henry Paulson/Chris Dodd compromise bailout plan yesterday afternoon, even after the New York Times reported that Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson got down on one knee to beg Nancy Pelosi to compromise. One of the sticking points, as Senator Lindsey Graham explained later, wasn’t a lack of begging but a poison pill that would push 20% of all profits from the bailout into the Housing Trust Fund — a boondoggle that Democrats in Congress has used to fund political-action groups like ACORN and the National Council of La Raza.

The Wall Street Journal reported on the HTF/ACORN/Democratic connections in July:

The housing bill signed Wednesday by President George W. Bush will provide a stream of billions of dollars for distressed homeowners and communities and the nonprofit groups that serve them.

One of the biggest likely beneficiaries, despite Republican objections: Acorn, a housing advocacy group that also helps lead ambitious voter-registration efforts benefiting Democrats. …

Partly because of the role of Acorn and other housing advocacy groups, the White House and its allies in Congress resisted Democrats’ plans to include money for a new affordable-housing trust fund and $4 billion in grants to restore housing in devastated neighborhoods. In the end, the money stayed in the bill; the White House saw little choice.

What most riles Republicans about the bill is the symbiotic relationship between the Democratic Party and the housing advocacy groups, of which Acorn is among the biggest. Groups such as the National Council of La Raza and the National Urban League also lobby to secure government-funded services for their members and seek to move them to the voting booth. Acorn has been singled out for criticism because of its reach, its endorsements of Democrats, and past flaws in its bookkeeping and voter-registration efforts that its detractors in Congress have seized upon.

just another falsehood from pubs....alpha, partisan rhetoric....acorn wasn't in the bill...

The Truth About the Housing Trust Fund

September 30, 2008

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 30, 2008

Contact: Sheila Crowley 202-662-1530 x.225 or 540-907-2993 [email protected]

The Truth About the National Housing Trust Fund

The National Housing Trust Fund campaign wants to correct misinformation that is circulating in the media about the National Housing Trust Fund. This misinformation appears to be the result of an alert issued by House of Representatives Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) on Saturday, September 27, 2008 in regard to the financial rescue bill that Congress is considering.

Mr. Boehner characterized a provision in an early draft of the bill that would direct a portion of profits from the sale of the assets acquired under the proposed rescue plan into the new Housing Trust Fund as a “left-wing giveaway Democrats are pushing to force taxpayers to bankroll a slush fund for a discredited ally of the Democratic Party.” This is a false statement.

Here is the truth.

The Housing Trust Fund was established on July 30 when President Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008. It is a new federal housing program that will provide funds to state governments for the purpose of building and rehabilitating homes for the very lowest income people in the United States. These are the people who work in the low wage work force, as well as seniors and people with disabilities and people who are homeless. The states are to make grants to housing developers with demonstrated capacity and experience who will build and operate these homes.

These developers can include local branches and affiliates of Catholic Charities USA, Volunteers of America, Lutheran Services in America, Mercy Housing, Corporation for Supportive Housing, Enterprise Community Partners, Local Initiatives Support Corporation, National Church Residences, and many other local non-profit and public housing organizations.

The Housing Trust Fund is the first new federal housing production program since 1974 that is specifically for extremely low income renter households. The need for this new program is acute. Today in the United States, there are 9 million extremely low income renter households and only 6.2 million homes with rents these families can afford. Consequently, 71% of extremely low income renters spend more than half of their income for housing, leaving them without enough money for other essentials and at high risk of losing their homes and joining the ranks of the homeless. This is a housing crisis of major and longstanding proportions that the federal government must address.

Funding for the Housing Trust Fund is to come from dedicated sources of revenue that are not subject to annual appropriations. The bill enacted this summer directs Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to make annual contributions to the Housing Trust Fund. It also says Congress may direct other transfers, credits, or appropriations to the Housing Trust Fund in the future.

In an attempt to make the financial rescue bill more responsive to the housing needs of local communities, i.e., Main Street, Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd (D-CT) included a provision in his draft that would have directed 20% of the profits made from the sale of the assets that the Federal government would acquire in the proposed financial rescue program into the Housing Trust Fund and an allied program called the Capital Magnet Fund. This provision was dropped from the bill on which the House voted primarily due to objections from House Republicans.

The Housing Trust Fund legislation specifically prohibits the use of any of the funds for “political activities, lobbying, counseling, traveling and administrative expenses, or endorsements of a particular candidate or party.”

The National Housing Trust Fund campaign calls upon Mr. Boehner to rescind his September 27 alert and for members of the media who based their reporting on Mr. Boehner’s assertions to correct the record.

The National Housing Trust Fund campaign, composed of over 5,700 national, state and local organizations and others, seeks to establish a National Housing Trust Fund with dedicated sources of revenue that will produce, preserve, or rehabilitate 1,500,000 homes in 10 years.

The National Low Income Housing Coalition is a membership organization dedicated solely to ending America’s affordable housing crisis. NLIHC educates, organize and advocates to ensure decent, affordable housing within healthy neighborhoods for everyone.

Why is everything partisan with you? Earmarks are earmarks does it matter who requests them????

That's one of the many differences between liberals and conservatives...Conservatives take on everyone including their own party... liberals don't believe anyone in their party has ever done anything wrong.

The text of the was at this location

http://banking.senate.gov/public/_files/latestversionAYO08C32_xml.pdf

but something is wrong with the file... all you have to do is google senate bailout text if you really want to see it...

just another falsehood from pubs....alpha, partisan rhetoric....acorn wasn't in the bill...

Care you might take a look at this. It took a little bit of unraveling and it was clear that ACORN didn't want the info out, but by using Google cache I was able to get to the smoking gun. Follow me now.

The National Housing Trust Fund is really a part of the National Low Income Housing Coalition. If you Google it, you will find that the NLIHC does a lot of joint operations with ACORN.

But when the National Housing Trust Fund was created who was there? This from a secret part of ACORN's web site:

Acknowledging the dire shortage of housing for the country’s poorest families and the effectiveness of housing construction as economic stimulus, members of the House of Representatives will introduce legislation on Wednesday, March 5, to establish a National Housing Trust Fund.

Modeled after the more than 270 state and local housing trust funds, the National Housing Trust Fund will provide communities with funds to build, rehabilitate, and preserve 1.5 million homes over the next 10 years, primarily for households with serious housing affordability problems.

Representatives Bernard Sanders (I-VT), Robert Simmons (R-CT) and Barbara Lee (D-CA) will host a press conference from 9:15 am to 10 am on March 5 in room HC-9 of the U.S. Capitol to announce the bill’s introduction. Details, including a list of speakers, will be announced. Out-of-town media should contact David Swanson at ACORN at 202-547-2500 or cell 202-329-7847 or Kim Schaffer at National Low Income Housing Coalition at 202-662-1530.

And, how is the trust fund funded? Why by Fannie and Freddie contributions of course. So, naturally, we would want this to continue to be funded through the bail out. Why? Because the Administrator at Fannie and Freddie now that they are in Gov't control has the power to suspend payment to the NHTF.

From the National Alliance to End Homelessness Web site:
National Housing Trust Fund
The Housing and Economic Recovery Act would establish a National Housing Trust Fund using
resources from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The Trust Fund would primarily develop rental housing
affordable to extremely low income households (below 30 percent of area median income).
Resources for the Trust Fund are dedicated and would not require annual appropriations like other
housing programs. Funding for the Trust Fund will phase in over three years. If the Trust Fund had
been fully in effect in 2008, it would have provided approximately $300 million for affordable
housing.

Yes the Republicans bitched and they took it out. This is nothing but a sham for the NLIHC who at the very minimum is in bed with ACORN. I can't prove it yet, but I'm betting that the NLIHC includes ACORN.

Why is everything partisan with you? Earmarks are earmarks does it matter who requests them????

That's one of the many differences between liberals and conservatives...Conservatives take on everyone including their own party... liberals don't believe anyone in their party has ever done anything wrong.

The text of the was at this location

http://banking.senate.gov/public/_files/latestversionAYO08C32_xml.pdf

but something is wrong with the file... all you have to do is google senate bailout text if you really want to see it...

You can go to c-span.org. There is a link on the front page.

Yep, just verified it.....they are all in there...and more. Katrina relief, Mid-west disaster relief....and on and on and on. Just more reason to just say NO!

As far as the Senate goes, they are adding earmarks and tax extenders to get the House Republicans on board.

As far as the Senate goes, they are adding earmarks and tax extenders to get the House Republicans on board.

So only republicans want Hurricane Katrina relief extended? Only republicans want mid-west disaster relief? Only Repubs want funding for rural schools? Only Repubs want Parity in Mental Health and substance abuse disorder benefits? Only Repubs want railroads to be maintained? Only repubs are for Accelerated Depreciation of Indian business assets? (That would be tantamount to saying repubs were helping a minority --- are you sure you want to say that???) Only repubs want to help Puerto Rico? Really? WTF?? Only Repubs want to help American Samoa? Only Repubs want to allow deduction of tuition? And, deductions for Teachers? (I didn't realize the Pubs were so tight with the NEA).

I could go on but I think I've proven my point. You're full of shit. Partisan!

Forum List

Back