Are Christians "persecuted" in the U.S.? If so, how should they respond?

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
First, I see a lot of rhetoric about Christian persecution; but when you actually look at said "persecution," it hardly qualifies as such. In your opinion, are Christians actively being persecuted in the United States, and how?

Secondly, what do you believe is the Biblical response to persecution?

Just curious.

(thread inspired by this post: http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...il-on-xmas-in-santa-monica-3.html#post4539908)

(thumbs up to Avatar)

Last edited:
No, they are not persecuted, but they have definitely been forced to retreat somewhat from the public sphere in order to appease a small minority of people who don't share their beliefs.

Most of the so called persecution is just people standing up to them and not letting them force their views on others

Christians aren't being rounded up and executed YET. They are being forced underground. They can't do anything about it. The momentum is toward eliminating Christianity from the nation. So far, they can still attend Church and keep holy days (as long as they aren't too public about it). Enjoy it while you got it because even this isn't going to last forever.

Katz, that is just too stupid for words. No, Christians are not being persecuted. And most of what is being billed as persecution is backlash from the hateful 'Christians' that try to force their beliefs on the rest of us.

Christians aren't being rounded up and executed YET. They are being forced underground. They can't do anything about it. The momentum is toward eliminating Christianity from the nation. So far, they can still attend Church and keep holy days (as long as they aren't too public about it). Enjoy it while you got it because even this isn't going to last forever.

Would you happen to have some egregious examples?

Forced underground?!?! Are they going to be competing with the Hare Krishnas in the subway? :lol:

I wonder if Christians also thought they were being persecuted when they weren't allowed to burn anyone at the stake anymore. Life can be so unfair sometimes...

First, I see a lot of rhetoric about Christian persecution; but when you actually look at said "persecution," it hardly qualifies as such. In your opinion, are Christians actively being persecuted in the United States, and how?

Secondly, what do you believe is the Biblical response to persecution?

Just curious.

(thread inspired by this post: http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...il-on-xmas-in-santa-monica-3.html#post4539908)

(thumbs up to Avatar)
Nope. They are not persecuted at all.

But, it's clear there are a lot of folks who clearly don't like them simply because they have the Christian faith, and only the Christian faith.

(Those who don't like the faithful in general, I can understand a tad bit more.)

Whenever I see bigotry I usually wonder how the bigots got so damaged. That's as close as I get to pity for bigots, though.

Last edited:
Christians in the US are not persecuted, quite the opposite. They enjoy enormous political power and influence.

I doubt any man or woman could be elected as POTUS without being a Christian.

IMO, being the majority, some of them think they deserve preference or privelege. That rankles some of us. They think they should never hear a negative word about their religion.

It's not realistic.

Generally, I prefer religious Jews to religious Christians. Jews aren't trying to get me to convert.

Last edited:
:coffee: In the U.S.? :shock: I think not. The country got along fine for @ 200 yrs until the Red Scare opened the door to gov't endorsed Christianity of some form.
Why does the US president always end his speech with "God bless America"? - Quora
- The adoption of "In God We Trust" as the official state motto in 1956.
- The use of "In God We Trust" on banknotes soon theirafter, starting 1957.
- The modification of the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954.
Before 1954:"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,and to the republic for which it stands; one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."
Starting from 1954 until today:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God,indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

and Nixon (R) was the Pres who started adding "god bless America" at the end of one of his speeches. Having said all that, if you're a strict constructionist you should have a problem w/ the above modern trends.

Christians in the US are not persecuted, quite the opposite. They enjoy enormous political power and influence.

IMO, being the majority, some of them think they deserve preference or privelege. That rankles some of us. They think they should never hear a negative word about their religion.

It's not realistic.

Generally, I prefer religious Jews to religious Christians. Jews aren't trying to get me to convert.

Neither are christians. Seriously. :cuckoo:

It's not realistic.

This is quite a sad modern development that contravenes the Constitution too:
Article Six of the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

It's not realistic.

You must have missed Marie last thread. The pray away the gay one dedicated to me personally. Plenty of Christian posters here are trying to do just that.

Katz, that is just too stupid for words. No, Christians are not being persecuted. And most of what is being billed as persecution is backlash from the hateful 'Christians' that try to force their beliefs on the rest of us.

I seriously can't wait until 'gay marriage' is legalized, that's the last claim of 'forcing' anything down anyone's throat that can be claimed is due to 'christians'. Otherwise, you have no leg to stand on with that argument. And while you're at it, let the polygamists have that 'right' too, or anyone that wants to marry their cat, dog, goat, etc... I'm all for it. When it comes to social/personal affairs, anything should be allowed, no restrictions. Why draw any lines, we wouldn't want to force any one person's morals onto another.

It's not realistic.

You must have missed Marie last thread. The pray away the gay one dedicated to me personally. Plenty of Christian posters here are trying to do just that.

'Plenty'? All I've seen Marie do is be nice to you, not 'convert' you. But, then again, you see someone wearing a cross around their neck as trying to 'convert' you. So, you really can't be taken seriously on the topic.