Are Catholics Christian Part Deux.

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Kagom, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm curious for everyone's input on this issue. It's one that I used to come across a lot back when I was a Catholic Apologist. Of course, I always defended Catholocism as a Christian denomination and I believe it still is. But how many of you feel differently or the same, etc.?

Now, I want to be very straight-forward: this is about the validity of Catholocism as a denomination in Christianity, nothing more. No talk about molestations, no bashing others here, and above all, stay on topic. We've seen the disaster that was the original thread. Let's try again, shall we?

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I'm not very religious, anymore, although would still say yes. Now I know there are many who will argue and I know why. It matters not, cause I won't change my mind. Most sensible Catholics don't idolize saints anymore anyway, just the Italians and the tipsy Irish. :laugh:

3. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Idolization of the Saints was something that the ignorant masses did back then. They weren't taught well and thought it was apart of their faith. They've learned now to venerate, not idolize.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I never knew idolization. As far as I was taught, they were models for living 'Christ like.' Same as George Washington used Cincinnatus.

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    When is back then?

In any case, that's debatable in these parts. There's still some old school preists around and some do take saint worship a little to far, today.

6. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    It was something that caused a few problems in the Middle Ages/Renaissance. I could be misinformed myself on the whole idolization part, but I do know it's an argument used. I know, based on my studies of the faith, that the Church has never changed its position on the saints and that it's always been about veneration and not idolization. BUt yes, you are right. They are models for living like Christ.

7. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Medieval/Renaissance is the time period I was addressing.

Are you're referring to the Sedeavacantists, or those who follow the old Latin mass and don't wish to follow the Novus Ordo? They may seem to take it "too far", but they're going on what they were taught in the Seminary.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Anyone that encourages worship, rather than praise for their example, is a heretic. I was taught that, way back in the 60's. Same with Mary, she is a model, not a god, always was.

9. 1549

1549 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I am a confirmed catholic. It seems as though American catholics are more laid back than protestants. Catholics put in their hour a week, maybe say the rosary now and then, wear a cross, and other than that mind their business. Meanwhile, Protestants love to bring up religion whenever they have a chance. All in all, I would generalize that protestants take religion far too seriously.

Obviously, there are plenty of exceptions to my experiences.

10. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Exactly. If I recall correctly, worshipping of saints is excommunicatable, right?