Are Canadians really even foreign?

Canada has more in common with the U.S. than it has that is different (except for Quebec, which is sort-of European).

Canadians are proud of their differences, largely including socialized medicine, neurotic inclusiveness, making peace with the cold, and treasuring their abundant natural resources. Thus, many of them are insulted when Americans say that there is "really not much difference" between Americans and Canadians.

If the two countries merged, the U.S. would get the better part of the bargain (we would benefit more than they would).

But I'll be damned if I'll have a picture of the Queen on my money!

Years ago I had a neighbor and friend who was Canadian. I met quite a few of them mostly from B.C. and Winnipeg. They just seemed like Americans to me. They were fun people and holy crap could they drink!

Spent a lot of time in Canada since the early 1980's. I have much respect for Canadians. They seem like us, are friendly folk, and are much more like our past generations used to be. They are deeply about family and multiple generations really stick together and get together. They show great pride of ownership for their parks, for example, and take very good care of the resources they have. We, on the other hand, seem to trash everything. I also appreciate the way if someone gets a little carried away with alcohol, for instance, the police haul them immediately to jail, no fooling around. We can't seem to do that anymore.

Forum List

Back