Are Brits really this Stupid ?

Yes.They're morons.
The words "Her Majesty" are all you need to know to answer that question.

Who are morons? The British people, or the left wing authorities who implement the stupid laws. I only ask, as I want to determine whether you are a moron yourself.

Well, the left-wingers got there somehow right? If your countrymen allowed them to have power, then you all get the tarnish from having allowed it to happen. You got bought in with the soft soap, and now you get the heavy hand of tyranny. You should have seen, and voted against the soft soap and the tyranny.

I don't know if there is really much hope for the UK at this point. We're on the brink ourselves. (We just bought a shit pot full of soft soap).

I suspect it was legislators reacting to public alarm about gun-related crime in the only way they know, to legislate. But they stuffed up. They made it a strict liability offence. That's like speeding, no defence is available to the defendant. If the facts are found proven then that's that. Where firearms are controlled it's usual for there to be a "reasonable excuse" clause in the legislation which allows a defendant to show that there was no nefarious intent or a lawful purpose or however it might be phrased.

I'd like to read the statute to see how it's constructed, might have to have a look and report back if I can find/understand it.

Yes.They're morons.

Who are morons? The British people, or the left wing authorities who implement the stupid laws. I only ask, as I want to determine whether you are a moron yourself.

Well, the left-wingers got there somehow right? If your countrymen allowed them to have power, then you all get the tarnish from having allowed it to happen. You got bought in with the soft soap, and now you get the heavy hand of tyranny. You should have seen, and voted against the soft soap and the tyranny.

I don't know if there is really much hope for the UK at this point. We're on the brink ourselves. (We just bought a shit pot full of soft soap).

There is hope. It's called the General Election.

Yes.They're morons.

Hey, Colin. Have any of the national press picked this up? Looks like only the local Surrey rag at present. I'd have thought that this was manna from heaven for the likes of the Mail and Sun at very least, but probably the broadsheets too. Is this story even on the radar?

Not a dicky bird, Tiger.

Yes.They're morons.

We don't attack each other for the sins of government, Tech. We blame the organ grinder. You guys should try it some time.

I suspect it was legislators reacting to public alarm about gun-related crime in the only way they know, to legislate. But they stuffed up. They made it a strict liability offence. That's like speeding, no defence is available to the defendant. If the facts are found proven then that's that. Where firearms are controlled it's usual for there to be a "reasonable excuse" clause in the legislation which allows a defendant to show that there was no nefarious intent or a lawful purpose or however it might be phrased.

I'd like to read the statute to see how it's constructed, might have to have a look and report back if I can find/understand it.

Terrifying!

Yet another reason to never allow this to happen to us. Either situation you describe is a shocking abuse of liberty.

We don't attack each other for the sins of government, Tech. We blame the organ grinder. You guys should try it some time.

So we can get where you are?

Thanks, no.

who are morons? The british people, or the left wing authorities who implement the stupid laws. I only ask, as i want to determine whether you are a moron yourself.

well, the left-wingers got there somehow right? If your countrymen allowed them to have power, then you all get the tarnish from having allowed it to happen. You got bought in with the soft soap, and now you get the heavy hand of tyranny. You should have seen, and voted against the soft soap and the tyranny.

I don't know if there is really much hope for the uk at this point. We're on the brink ourselves. (we just bought a shit pot full of soft soap).

there is hope. It's called the general election.

amen

Thanks, no.

I don't think you really have any idea about where we really are Tech. You should quit worrying about us and concentrate on your own situation.

Thanks, no.

I don't think you really have any idea about where we really are Tech. You should quit worrying about us and concentrate on your own situation.

I think I do on the first (or well enough with a sister in law living in London for the last 8 years), but I do agree that I need to focus on our situation before it turns into your situation. I would be too had this thread not diverted my attention, however slightly, to the plight of your country.

I'm thankful to my forebears for having the foresight to flee Scotland when they did. "Serve in the English Army my arse".....is what they said (or words to that effect). The Clearances doncha know. But, we Scots don't hold grudges for very long, as I'm sure you know. :lol:

well, the left-wingers got there somehow right? If your countrymen allowed them to have power, then you all get the tarnish from having allowed it to happen. You got bought in with the soft soap, and now you get the heavy hand of tyranny. You should have seen, and voted against the soft soap and the tyranny.

I don't know if there is really much hope for the uk at this point. We're on the brink ourselves. (we just bought a shit pot full of soft soap).

there is hope. It's called the general election.

amen

I thought you didn't want to get where we are? :lol:

Thanks, no.

I think I do on the first (or well enough with a sister in law living in London for the last 8 years), but I do agree that I need to focus on our situation before it turns into your situation. I would be too had this thread not diverted my attention, however slightly, to the plight of your country.

I'm thankful to my forebears for having the foresight to flee Scotland when they did. "Serve in the English Army my arse".....is what they said (or words to that effect). The Clearances doncha know. But, we Scots don't hold grudges for very long, as I'm sure you know. :lol:

I'm not sure that you do. There's always so much that you can only truly understand by experiencing it personally.

For example, several posters are making generalizations about England based on this story. In England, according to Colin, it appears to have had little coverage, and I've been able to find nothing from any sources other than the ones I mentioned earlier. So, why it is it such a big deal on this board but not in the country where it is actually happening? The answer is probably either...

1. England is so far down the road to madness that this sort of story is commonplace and therefore doesn't really merit being covered by the national media.

...or...

2. There's more (or maybe less) to this story than the local newspaper report would have us believe.

I know what I think, and I lived in Britain until last year. But I don't live there any more, and therefore I probably have a less well-rounded view than Colin, even though I too have a huge number of friends and relatives living there.

I'm not sure that you do. There's always so much that you can only truly understand by experiencing it personally.

For example, several posters are making generalizations about England based on this story. In England, according to Colin, it appears to have had little coverage, and I've been able to find nothing from any sources other than the ones I mentioned earlier. So, why it is it such a big deal on this board but not in the country where it is actually happening? The answer is probably either...

1. England is so far down the road to madness that this sort of story is commonplace and therefore doesn't really merit being covered by the national media.

...or...

2. There's more (or maybe less) to this story than the local newspaper report would have us believe.

I know what I think, and I lived in Britain until last year. But I don't live there any more, and therefore I probably have a less well-rounded view than Colin, even though I too have a huge number of friends and relatives living there.

I wasn't basing my comments on just this story, but also the thread on plastic glasses in pubs. The one on the move to ban pointy knives. The constant video monitoring. The people that come to your door after the birth of your child and decide whether you are a competent parent. I could go on, but you probably get the point.

...or...

I wasn't basing my comments on just this story, but also the thread on plastic glasses in pubs. The one on the move to ban pointy knives. The constant video monitoring. The people that come to your door after the birth of your child and decide whether you are a competent parent. I could go on, but you probably get the point.

I'm not saying that some barking mad politically correct policies haven't surfaced over recent years - they have - but the ones that tend to get linked here are the sensationalized ones. The ones where a policy is proposed by, for example, a left-wing pressure group and that would never become law in a million years, but that the conservative press then jumps on and hypes to make it appear even more extreme, as if it wasn't stupid enough already.

Used to happen about the US when I lived in England. A story originating from, for example, Fox or MSNBC would be widely reported. There was a grain of truth behind it, but quite often it had been hyped up. Some British people, without the benefit of observation or experience, would then believe it.

Nobody I know has ever had someone come to their door after the birth of a chid to determine whether they are competent or not. Does that observation make your point above wrong? No. Does my personal experience mean I have good reason to have a degree of suspicion about how true it is? Yes.

Terrifying!

Yet another reason to never allow this to happen to us. Either situation you describe is a shocking abuse of liberty.

Not really, but then that's because we all have different views on what "liberty" means and we're all correct because how we define it comes from our cultural value system. That's what makes discussion here interesting.

I'm quite happy with our system and our laws. But if that Brit law (I must look it up) is couched in those terms where there is strict liability then that's simply bad legislation.

...or...

Well, I guess you can't help being gullible. :lol: You need to differentiate between fact and fantasy, rather than blindly believe everything you see reported. As I said, best not to comment on things that you really know nothing about. You only end up half-cocked.

Requirement of firearm certificate

(1)
Subject to any exemption under this Act, it is an offence for a person—

(a)
to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, a firearm to which this section applies without holding a firearm certificate in force at the time, or otherwise than as authorised by such a certificate;

(b)
to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, any ammunition to which this section applies without holding a firearm certificate in force at the time, or otherwise than as authorised by such a certificate, or in quantities in excess of those so authorised.

(2)
It is an offence for a person to fail to comply with a condition subject to which a firearm certificate is held by him.

The only exculpatory part I can find is certain exemptions under the Act.

Firearms Act 1968 (c. 27)

Forum List

Back