Are Blacks Americans too?

When you live in a country that once had in their law books, in their original Constitution of all places, that you are or were once 3/5ths of a person and worth less then non-living products, when you live in a country that once had in their law books, that if anyone attempted to teach you to read was a crime worthy of severe punishment...you tend to have a different view of the original laws and foundation/founders of that country.

Just saying.

The only hatred between Whites and Blacks are from those who are baby-boomers. The younger generation has accepted that we are different and are not holding it against each other. They are befriending each other and having a good time together, while we boomers are still arguiing over issues that are not solving a damn thing. When are we as adults and mature people in this country going to realize that hating each other is a waste of time? Both White and Black boomers need to let go of the PAST. We are blessed to even have lived to see 2011. But are we grateful? Hell no, we just want to keep hating and being antagonistic towards each other. Truly, we are a sorry people.

Well, no, it ain't just the Baby Boomers who harbor racial hatred, casper -- though I'd agree the experience is very different for young people now. And I dun think forgetting is the way to go.

In fact, I'd argue that forgetting is 90% of the problem.

Forgetting what? That when Blacks were brought to America they were sold as slaves? Who doesn't know that? So how is it going to be forgotten? Why not start a new history? Whites and Blacks live together in harmony. I know I do and it isn't hard either!!

When you live in a country that once had in their law books, in their original Constitution of all places, that you are or were once 3/5ths of a person and worth less then non-living products, when you live in a country that once had in their law books, that if anyone attempted to teach you to read was a crime worthy of severe punishment...you tend to have a different view of the original laws and foundation/founders of that country.

Just saying.

I kinda think ONCE, is very key here. I believe that we as a Nation have done more to correct our EVILS then most other nations. But that's just me.

Forgetting what? That when Blacks were brought to America they were sold as slaves? Who doesn't know that? So how is it going to be forgotten? Why not start a new history? Whites and Blacks live together in harmony. I know I do and it isn't hard either!!

Yes, and that is applause-worthy, casper. So do I. But I still want to keep the history in mind, and that includes seeing George Washington had clay feet.

Just saying.
Are you truly saying you do not understand the reason for the 3/5ths person provision in the constitution for the votes of slaves, considering that to form the union slave states had to be included?

The reason to keep blacks in the south ignorant, as you mentioned, played right into the reason for counting slaves (not black people) as 3/5th of a citizen. A slave who was a full voting citizen would've given the south a numerical advantage in elections, and all while the votes of those slaves would've been suspect as being subjected to coercion.

Last edited:

Just saying.

If you dislike the way this country was founded, go find another one more to your liking.

Just saying.

You're as stupid as you look.

The three-fifths clause in the Constitution did not mean blacks were subhuman. It was actually designed to reduce the power of the slave-owning states in the U.S. Congress. Counting slaves as three-fifths of a person in the Census was actually a compromise position reached between northern and southern states at the 1787 Philadelphia Convention. Delegates opposed to slavery didn't want to count slaves in the Census at all, because it would inflate the representation of the slave owning states in Congress. The number of representatives in Congress was determined by the number of people being represented. Counting slaves a full persons, as the slave owning states wished to do, would only increase the political power of the slave owners. Thus, the three-fifths compromise was reached. It would have been better if the wishes of the anti-slavery people had won out, and slaves were not counted at all, and only free persons were counted. (note – free black people were counted as full persons). After all, it's not like the interests of the slaves were being represented in Congress by the slave owners. Only the slave owners interests were being represented. Counting black slaves as full persons at that time would have only increased the power of their masters. Not a desirable outcome.

History: Three-Fifths Of A Person

Why don't you research the start of the trans-atlantic slave trade and find out who sold who to whom. North America played a minor part in the slave trade, our ports sent out less than five percent of known voyages and absorbed less than four percent of all slaves carried out of Africa.

Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade

Just saying.
Are you truly saying you do not understand the reason for the 3/5ths person provision in the constitution for the votes of slaves, considering that to form the union slave states had to be included?

The reason to keep blacks in the south ignorant, as you mentioned, played right into the reason for counting slaves (not black people) as 3/5th of a citizen. A slave who was a full voting citizen would've given the south a numerical advantage in elections, and all while the votes of those slaves would've been suspect as being subjected to coercion.

Yes I believe he truly believes the bullshit he spouts. He's what ignorance looks like.

Why don't you research the start of the trans-atlantic slave trade and find out who sold who to whom. North America played a minor part in the slave trade, our ports sent out less than five percent of known voyages and absorbed less than four percent of all slaves carried out of Africa.

A "minor" atrocity is a still an atrocity.

Not for me it wasn't.

Not for me it wasn't.

Maybe you should "volunteer" to be a slave for a little while.

Mainly because empathy is not your strong suit.

The only hatred between Whites and Blacks are from those who are baby-boomers.

Clearly based on the above you are guilty of what you are accusing "Boomers" of doing.

You are declaring an entire generation (about 50,000,000 of your fellow citizens, I note) guilty by association of being racist.

Have you forgotten, or had it merely not occurred to you that it was, after all, the boomers who manned the barricades during the civil rights movement.

So based on your post, if irony could kill, kiddo, you'd already be a contender for the DARWIN AWARDS.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back