Are blacks actually victimized by affirmative action?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I originally posted this in This Thread, but I think it speaks to a broader issue worth discussing beyond just the firefighter case.

Update:

24 out of 29 (83%) of respondents believe that the black firefighters didn't study as hard as the white firefighters. And I agree with them. Assuming we are correct, the next question for those 29 respondents is why didn't they study as hard? Is it because they are naturally lazy? I don't think so. I think it has more to do with them being conditioned to believe that a certain number of spots (a quota if you will) has already been set aside for blacks and therefore they're only competing against other blacks and not everybody.

Discuss

Are black people actually victimized (i.e. held back) by affirmative action because over time it has conditioned them to believe they don't really have to compete with whites in the workplace? :eusa_think:

I originally posted this in This Thread, but I think it speaks to a broader issue worth discussing beyond just the firefighter case.

Update:

24 out of 29 (83%) of respondents believe that the black firefighters didn't study as hard as the white firefighters. And I agree with them. Assuming we are correct, the next question for those 29 respondents is why didn't they study as hard? Is it because they are naturally lazy? I don't think so. I think it has more to do with them being conditioned to believe that a certain number of spots (a quota if you will) has already been set aside for blacks and therefore they're only competing against other blacks and not everybody.

Discuss

Are black people actually victimized (i.e. held back) by affirmative action because over time it has conditioned them to believe they don't really have to compete with whites in the workplace? :eusa_think:

Of course they are. If I did everything for my kids, they would never learn anything and become spoiled brats.

One thing I've noticed in Little Rock is that there are so few black fathers present with their kids. Where are they? I once heard that they aren't needed because the government has taken their place. Hmmmm.

• Banned

Update:

Discuss

Of course they are. If I did everything for my kids, they would never learn anything and become spoiled brats.

One thing I've noticed in Little Rock is that there are so few black fathers present with their kids. Where are they? I once heard that they aren't needed because the government has taken their place. Hmmmm.

Haven't you heard? It takes a village. Get with the program shitstain! :evil:

• Banned
I wouldn't doubt you heard that...in your head or from Rush Limbaugh.

Actually it was NPR. They were discussing a book allegedly written by your hero Hillary Clinton. It really surprises me that you don't own a gold embossed, autographed copy of it.

Haven't you heard? It takes a village. Get with the program shitstain! :evil:

Here 'ya go:

it-takes-section-logo.jpg

Update:

Discuss

It does if you look at it this way.
Take college education as an example. If a minority (in your OP example a black student) is granted admission to a college because he gets ---oh let's say 10 extra points-- on his college application just because he is a minority, then guess what he is competing against? He is competing against other students that have better academic records than he has. That is hard to compete with at the college level. Chances are he will not perform as well as his peers. Studies have shown that the minority drop out rate in colleges that give extra points just for being a minority is higher than colleges that don't do that. That is because the competition is too stiff. They would be better off going to a lower tier school where they can succeed based upon their academic merits and actually graduate than they would be dropping out of an upper tier school.
In this example, affirmative action harmed the recipient.

Update:

Discuss

yes they are with home mortgage crisis being one example. Notice the highest numbers of foreclosed houses are in areas with high minority rates.
This is why I don't believe in affirmative action.

Probably, but the bigger victims are white.

And the actual biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action are Hispanic.

Meanwhile, the actual biggest victims are Asian.

Forum List

Back