Are bible belt whites inherently stupider?

Dang, I'm a Methodist. I better switch to the Episcopalian Church if I want to get my daughter in a better college!

Where in this testing does it say that these scores are white scores only? I am honestly curious because I don't see that information listed.

By the way did anyone notice the percentages of kids actually taking these tests? In New Hampshire, which scored 23s near across the board, only 15 percent even took this test. Can we say the AP and Honor students? Where as when you had closer to a 50 percent or higher group the scores dropped significantly. This doesn't prove much of anything other than the fact that people need to help at their local schools and study with their children.

Ahhh! So when certain subgroups perform poorly (curiously, in this case whites) there are statistical, environmental, social and methodological explanations!!! But, for another subgroup (oddly enough, blacks) these tests DO measure inherent intellectual inferiority!

For the posters who are still focused on blaming bible belt scores on blacks, I've yet to hear a credible explanation for why bible belt states with very low black populations score below national averages; like west virginia.

Or, why southern white evangelical christian groups perform extremely poorly on standardized IQ tests, as shown below.

I think the tests don't meausre inherent intelligence. But, some posters seem to think these tests are a measure of genetic and social inferiorty. I'm assuming those posters can use that logic to explain these graphs....are southern, white evangelicals inherently dumber because of southern genetic inbreeding, and heritage? I personally don't think so, but it would be fascinating to hear the explanation from those who proclaim that stardadized tests "prove" inherent intellectual inferiority.

Univ. of Chicago General Social Survey for Whites:

Gene Expression: Biblical literalism or low IQ: which came first?

Univ. of Chicago General Social Survey for Whites:

Mean IQ of whites from General Social Survey by religious affiliation

Episcopalian 109.9
Lutheran 107.4
Mormon 105.7
Presbyterian 102.3
United Methodist 101.8
Southern Baptist 98.0
Assembly of God 94.5
Pentecostal 92.2

Gene Expression: Pentecostals are stupid? Unitarians are smart?

Your list is crap. You christians are all ignorant believers in fairy tales. Tell yourself you are smart all you want. Deceiving yourself is your stock in trade.

My Position[/b]: Standardized tests do NOT measure inherent intelligence; they reflect the environment students grow up in, the educational system they have access to, the participation rates, and biases in test methods and procedures.

My conclusion: Bible belt whites are NOT inherently stupider. Its not genetic inbreeding, their southern heritage, or anything in the water down there that makes their test scores suck.

ACT National and State Scores for 2008: Average ACT Scores by State

You are IMHO at least half right here, some of the testing differences are probably related to the different school systems. However, the tests do measure intelligence, that is their purpose. If you were to take different school systems into consideration you would expect to see black scores improve, but you don't, blacks score the same in Rhode Island as they do in Kentucky.

Blacks consistently score below whites and Asians in EVERY state. Why is that???????

I looked at both sights mentioned and interrestingly enough on the 2007 college bound senior scores for Kentucky and Rhode Island the southern scores are better for whites overall and better for blacks in math.

Kentucky
READING white: 573 black: 496
MATH white: 568 black: 479

Rhode Island
READING white: 514 black: 516
MAT white:410 black: 411

Your sight

KENTUCKY
ENGLISH white: 20.9 black: 16.4 asian: 21.7
MATH white: 20.4 black: 17.1 asian: 23.2

RHODE ISLAND
ENGLISH white: 22.6 black: 16.0 asian: 22.6
MATH white: 22.1 black 17.4 asian 24.4

NATIONAL
ENGLISH white 21.7 black 16.1 asian 22.1

Blacks score the almost same in both states. Again if your reasoning were correct, and the differences were only due to environment and schools you should see an improvement in black scores depending on the state. You just don't. What you do see are Asians scoring highest and blacks scoring lowest no matter what state you pick.

You can argue bias, schools and environment, but the facts don't support you.

My Position[/b]: Standardized tests do NOT measure inherent intelligence; they reflect the environment students grow up in, the educational system they have access to, the participation rates, and biases in test methods and procedures.

My conclusion: Bible belt whites are NOT inherently stupider. Its not genetic inbreeding, their southern heritage, or anything in the water down there that makes their test scores suck.

You are IMHO at least half right here, some of the testing differences are probably related to the different school systems. However, the tests do measure intelligence, that is their purpose. If you were to take different school systems into consideration you would expect to see black scores improve, but you don't, blacks score the same in Rhode Island as they do in Kentucky.

Blacks consistently score below whites and Asians in EVERY state. Why is that???????

I looked at both sights mentioned and interrestingly enough on the 2007 college bound senior scores for Kentucky and Rhode Island the southern scores are better for whites overall and better for blacks in math.

Kentucky

Rhode Island

Your sight

KENTUCKY

RHODE ISLAND

NATIONAL

Blacks score the almost same in both states. Again if your reasoning were correct, and the differences were only due to environment and schools you should see an improvement in black scores depending on the state. You just don't. What you do see are Asians scoring highest and blacks scoring lowest no matter what state you pick.

Mission Accomplished!

I've managed to draw out numerous closet racial supremicists :lol:

So your contention is that asians are inherently genetically superior to whites. And whites are genetically superior to blacks?

I'm think I'm safe in assuming you usually vote republican, along with other closet racial supremicists like xsited, dildoduck, and willowtree?

Do you think you'd be comfortable telling Condi Rice, Michael Steele, and Colin Powell your theories on racial supremacy? Or, is it something you're only comfortable discussing from behind the safety of an anonymous screen name?

The Rightwing Position (their logic as articulated on other threads): Standardized testing ACT scores consistently show lower test scores in bible belt and southern states. Even bible belt states with mostly WHITE populations (Kentucky, Oklahoma, West Virginia) score below national averages.

Rightwing Conclusion: Bible belt WHITES are inherently stupider than whites in most northern and coastal liberal states. Standardized testing PROVES it.

My Position: Standardized tests do NOT measure inherent intelligence; they reflect the environment students grow up in, the educational system they have access to, the participation rates, and biases in test methods and procedures.

expand or contribute

I'm down here in one of these "stupid bible belt" states and thought I'd have a look see at this here study. I'm seeing that alot of them states that have them higher scores have a whole lot less percentage of their people a takin' these here tests. Ya think mebbe only the smart uns are hunkering down to take them tests? Places like Callyfornya only have about 17% of their kids even takin' the tests? If'n only the smart uns are a takin' the tests, shouldn't their states have higher scores?

The Rightwing Position (their logic as articulated on other threads): Standardized testing ACT scores consistently show lower test scores in bible belt and southern states. Even bible belt states with mostly WHITE populations (Kentucky, Oklahoma, West Virginia) score below national averages.

Rightwing Conclusion: Bible belt WHITES are inherently stupider than whites in most northern and coastal liberal states. Standardized testing PROVES it.

My Position: Standardized tests do NOT measure inherent intelligence; they reflect the environment students grow up in, the educational system they have access to, the participation rates, and biases in test methods and procedures.

expand or contribute

I'm down here in one of these "stupid bible belt" states and thought I'd have a look see at this here study. I'm seeing that alot of them states that have them higher scores have a whole lot less percentage of their people a takin' these here tests. Ya think mebbe only the smart uns are hunkering down to take them tests? Places like Callyfornya only have about 17% of their kids even takin' the tests? If'n only the smart uns are a takin' the tests, shouldn't their states have higher scores?

Hey doofus!

I'm on your side. My position is that these tests don't measure inherent intelligence. Test results are prone to methodology, sample size, and educational and environmental conditions.

You might want to go yell at your conservative brethren, who have consistently asserted that standardized tests prove intelletual inferiorty of subgroups of americans. By their logic, you southern white boys are genetically dumb as rocks. Go yell at them, not me.

expand or contribute

Hey doofus!

I'm on your side. My position is that these tests don't measure inherent intelligence. Test results are prone to methodology, sample size, and educational and environmental conditions.

You might want to go yell at your conservative brethren, who have consistently asserted that standardized tests prove intelletual inferiorty of subgroups of americans. By their logic, you southern white boys are genetically dumb as rocks. Go yell at them, not me.

Sorry.. I couldn't resist. It is SO obvious when you look at the chart WHY some of these other states test higher. When you take sample size into the equation, methodology, education and environment don't mean squat. And truthfully, the people I usually find making derogatory statements about the intelligence of southern white boys are usually transplanted liberal yankees.

Kentucky

Rhode Island

Your sight

KENTUCKY

RHODE ISLAND

NATIONAL

Mission Accomplished!

I've managed to draw out numerous closet racial supremicists :lol:

So your contention is that asians are inherently genetically superior to whites. And whites are genetically superior to blacks?

I'm think I'm safe in assuming you usually vote republican, along with other closet racial supremicists like xsited, dildoduck, and willowtree?

Do you think you'd be comfortable telling Condi Rice, Michael Steele, and Colin Powell your theories on racial supremacy? Or, is it something you're only comfortable discussing from behind the safety of an anonymous screen name?

My conclusion is, Asians (as a group) score higher on intelligence tests than whites (as a group) and blacks (as a group) score lowest. I said nothing about genetic superiority, just intelligence.

I love that stating the facts is now racist. It isn't racism that makes blacks score lower than anyone else no matter the state and Asians score the highest. Sorry to burst you bubble.

I suspect that Rice and Powell have already seen these studies. I'd love to talk to either of them, they are brillient people. Would have loved for Powell to run for pres. in fact.

Are bible belt whites inherently stupider?

That has always been my experience.

Of course I cannot entirely discount the possibility that my view may be somewhat jaded, too.

Forum List

Back