Are bible belt whites inherently stupider?

The Rightwing Position (their logic as articulated on other threads): Standardized testing ACT scores consistently show lower test scores in bible belt and southern states. Even bible belt states with mostly WHITE populations (Kentucky, Oklahoma, West Virginia) score below national averages.

Rightwing Conclusion: Bible belt WHITES are inherently stupider than whites in most northern and coastal liberal states. Standardized testing PROVES it.

My Position: Standardized tests do NOT measure inherent intelligence; they reflect the environment students grow up in, the educational system they have access to, the participation rates, and biases in test methods and procedures.

My conclusion: Bible belt whites are NOT inherently stupider. Its not genetic inbreeding, their southern heritage, or anything in the water down there that makes their test scores suck.

expand or contribute

ACT National and State Scores for 2008: Average ACT Scores by State
There must be a way to blame this on black people...could it be their silly droopy drawers fashion statement has cause white bible thumpers to lose brain cells? Or maybe it is because Hispanics have a lot of children...:eusa_eh:

Thanks. Now run along and make some more troll posts about blacks being inherently intellectually inferior to whites and Asians.

:lol: I didn't start this trolling thread. Take it up with Red Dawn.

you don't like the mirror he held up for you?

bummer.

but keep on posting racist things and you'll keep being made to look silly.

:lol: I always get a kick out of what closeted racists say. :lol:

Thanks. Now run along and make some more troll posts about blacks being inherently intellectually inferior to whites and Asians.

:lol: I didn't start this trolling thread. Take it up with Red Dawn.

you don't like the mirror he held up for you?

bummer.

but keep on posting racist things and you'll keep being made to look silly.

*yawn*

Work hard on that response did you?

The results weren't broken down by race. Since the Bible Belt States have the greatest overall percentage of blacks, one could say that blacks are the cause.

Black or African-American Population for the United States by Region, 2002 — Infoplease.com

only if one draws a false correlation... particularly given that white single mothers in red states are the largetst recipient as a group of welfare.

Reality: the POOREST states are bible belt states are are the ones with the worst performance educationally. Poverty and education are a bad combination.

The wealthiest (and poorest) places in the United States - Aug. 28, 2007

Another Captain Obvious winner!

But to correct your 'Captain Obvious' post a bit, black single mothers in red states are the largest recipients of welfare PER CAPITA. Yes, there are more white single mothers on welfare (actually, it's nearly even statistically), but there are also 5 times as many whites than blacks.

you fail to explain why most bible belt whites score lower on standardized tests than their liberal coastal and northern counterparts. Is is geneitic southern inbreeding, and southern heritage? Surely, this must be what you think, since you've invested so much time proclaiming that standardized tests prove blacks are dumber.

Right?

If you're going to say that standardized tests prove stupidity in blacks, but doesn't prove it in another subgroup of americans (which, curiously, share your skin tone) then your entire position on stardardized tests is racist. You're not fooling anyone.

when the OP stops typing "stupider", he can ask the question.

Last edited:
only if one draws a false correlation... particularly given that white single mothers in red states are the largetst recipient as a group of welfare.

Reality: the POOREST states are bible belt states are are the ones with the worst performance educationally. Poverty and education are a bad combination.

The wealthiest (and poorest) places in the United States - Aug. 28, 2007

Another Captain Obvious winner!

But to correct your 'Captain Obvious' post a bit, black single mothers in red states are the largest recipients of welfare PER CAPITA. Yes, there are more white single mothers on welfare (actually, it's nearly even statistically), but there are also 5 times as many whites than blacks.

you fail to explain why most bible belt whites score lower on standardized tests than their liberal coastal and northern counterparts. Is is geneitic southern inbreeding, and southern heritage? Surely, this must be what you think, since you've invested so much time proclaiming that standardized tests prove blacks are dumber.

Right?

If you're going to say that standardized tests prove stupidity in blacks, but doesn't prove it in another subgroup of americans (which, curiously, share your skin tone) then your entire position on stardardized tests is racist. You're not fooling anyone.

I'll take a stab at it.

Religious institutions dumb down thier followers intentionally to make them more compliant. I contend that the influence peddled by them and the media controlled by the militery industrial complex is every bit as influential to the ability of some people in that segment of society to discern truth and fact. How else to prepare the children that will be sent to fight the wars for the captains of industry.

Dictionary.com
stupider definition | Dictionary.com

stu•pid (stōō'pĭd, styōō'-) Pronunciation Key
adj. stu•pid•er, stu•pid•est

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
n. A stupid or foolish person.

I can see why you felt a need to divert, rather than address the topic at hand.

Weren't you one of the wingnuts who claimed that standardized testing proved blacks are inherently dumber, but you won't apply that same stardard of logic to whites?

Dictionary.com

3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.

Weren't you one of the wingnuts who claimed that standardized testing proved blacks are inherently dumber, but you won't apply that same stardard of logic to whites?

No. I never said any such thing. Kudos on "stupider"

Dictionary.com

Good! My bad, I look forward to seeing you slam posters who proclaim that blacks are inherently intellectually inferior, because standardized test scores prove it.

Maybe you already have been slamming them! I'll be sure to look for those posts! :clap2:

Dictionary.com

Good! My bad, I look forward to seeing you slam posters who proclaim that blacks are inherently intellectually inferior, because standardized test scores prove it.

Maybe you already have been slamming them! I'll be sure to look for those posts! :clap2:
I'll look for them.

The results weren't broken down by race. Since the Bible Belt States have the greatest overall percentage of blacks, one could say that blacks are the cause.

Black or African-American Population for the United States by Region, 2002 — Infoplease.com

STILL trying to blame black people? :lol:

Please explain how a bible belt state like west virginia, which hardly has any blacks, and is almost all white, scores well below national averages on ACT standardized tests.

I'm assuming that because you feel standardized tests refelect genetic or racial stupidity, that all the the white bible belt inbreeding in w. virginia causes it?

You know, speaking as someone who has lived in the South (Memphis TN, Jacksonville FL, Meridian MS, and Norfolk VA), I think that I may be able to shed some light on this........

It's their churches.

Most of the people in those areas are VERY religious, and, as a result of wanting to believe the Bible over anything else (even to the exclusion of science and math), they tend to ignore things if they can't put it into a Biblical context.

Same thing with islam and the madrassas also. All islam does is make their followers memorize the koran, and they never have time to learn about things like science and technology, so therefore, compared to others, they are "more stupid".

But then again.......that's one reason I never trust religious fanatics.

You know, speaking as someone who has lived in the South (Memphis TN, Jacksonville FL, Meridian MS, and Norfolk VA), I think that I may be able to shed some light on this........

It's their churches.

Most of the people in those areas are VERY religious, and, as a result of wanting to believe the Bible over anything else (even to the exclusion of science and math), they tend to ignore things if they can't put it into a Biblical context.

Same thing with islam and the madrassas also. All islam does is make their followers memorize the koran, and they never have time to learn about things like science and technology, so therefore, compared to others, they are "more stupid".

But then again.......that's one reason I never trust religious fanatics.

now that makes a hell of a lot more sense, than Xsited's stupid ass theories on inherent racial inferiority.

I agree, and said so earlier. Its environment, access to quality education, and a host of other factors that determine test scores. Those tests are not a measure of inherent intelligence.

Additionally, there are plenty of people who know lots of obscure things, but, even though they have the knowledge, if they are unable to put it together well, they're still stupid.

You see that kind of behavior in scholars and some college professors. They know a lot about just one subject, but when it comes to anything else, they are lost.

The Navy has the same kind of people incidentally, they're called "nukes". They are the guys that run the nuclear reactor. Ask 'em anything about math or physics, and they can tell you off the top of their head.

But they wear slip-on boots..........they're too stupid to tie their shoes.

The Rightwing Position (their logic as articulated on other threads): Standardized testing ACT scores consistently show lower test scores in bible belt and southern states. Even bible belt states with mostly WHITE populations (Kentucky, Oklahoma, West Virginia) score below national averages.

Rightwing Conclusion: Bible belt WHITES are inherently stupider than whites in most northern and coastal liberal states. Standardized testing PROVES it.

My Position: Standardized tests do NOT measure inherent intelligence; they reflect the environment students grow up in, the educational system they have access to, the participation rates, and biases in test methods and procedures.

My conclusion: Bible belt whites are NOT inherently stupider. Its not genetic inbreeding, their southern heritage, or anything in the water down there that makes their test scores suck.

expand or contribute

ACT National and State Scores for 2008: Average ACT Scores by State

Are we being politically correct? Or is this just another excuse to make shit up about Conservatives? Why no mention of Bible Belt Blacks?

Where in this testing does it say that these scores are white scores only? I am honestly curious because I don't see that information listed.

By the way did anyone notice the percentages of kids actually taking these tests? In New Hampshire, which scored 23s near across the board, only 15 percent even took this test. Can we say the AP and Honor students? Where as when you had closer to a 50 percent or higher group the scores dropped significantly. This doesn't prove much of anything other than the fact that people need to help at their local schools and study with their children.

Where in this testing does it say that these scores are white scores only? I am honestly curious because I don't see that information listed.

By the way did anyone notice the percentages of kids actually taking these tests? In New Hampshire, which scored 23s near across the board, only 15 percent even took this test. Can we say the AP and Honor students? Where as when you had closer to a 50 percent or higher group the scores dropped significantly. This doesn't prove much of anything other than the fact that people need to help at their local schools and study with their children.

Ahhh! So when certain subgroups perform poorly (curiously, in this case whites) there are statistical, environmental, social and methodological explanations!!! But, for another subgroup (oddly enough, blacks) these tests DO measure inherent intellectual inferiority!

For the posters who are still focused on blaming bible belt scores on blacks, I've yet to hear a credible explanation for why bible belt states with very low black populations score below national averages; like west virginia.

Or, why southern white evangelical christian groups perform extremely poorly on standardized IQ tests, as shown below.

I think the tests don't meausre inherent intelligence. But, some posters seem to think these tests are a measure of genetic and social inferiorty. I'm assuming those posters can use that logic to explain these graphs....are southern, white evangelicals inherently dumber because of southern genetic inbreeding, and heritage? I personally don't think so, but it would be fascinating to hear the explanation from those who proclaim that stardadized tests "prove" inherent intellectual inferiority.

Univ. of Chicago General Social Survey for Whites:

Gene Expression: Biblical literalism or low IQ: which came first?

Univ. of Chicago General Social Survey for Whites:

Mean IQ of whites from General Social Survey by religious affiliation

Episcopalian 109.9
Lutheran 107.4
Mormon 105.7
Presbyterian 102.3
United Methodist 101.8
Southern Baptist 98.0
Assembly of God 94.5
Pentecostal 92.2

Gene Expression: Pentecostals are stupid? Unitarians are smart?

Forum List

Back