Are Baby Boomers to Blame for the Debt Crisis?

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Washington (CNN) -- Baby boomers -- those born between 1946 and 1964 -- have been described as "the pig in the python" and the "sandwich generation."

They lived well, grew up in relative abundance and, some say, expected their Social Security, health care and government support to be there as they grew old.

Now, as the future of the country's economy is up in the air, is this group of 80 million aging Americans -- many of whom are sprinting toward retirement age -- the ones to blame for the nation's shaky economic system?

The answer is not so simple.

Baby boomers grew up during relative prosperity, from the economic boom of the post-World War II '50s to the "Me" generation of the '60s through the lucrative uptick in the Reagan '80s. And then there were the budget surpluses they enjoyed during the Clinton '90s.

As a result, many were able to buy second homes, take out loans at low interest rates, buy cheap gas and pump money back into the economy.

Life was good, many say, until September 2008.

Are baby boomers to blame for debt crisis? - CNN.com

So ARE baby boomers to blame for the debt crisis. I remember the years mentioned and life WAS good! What will our old age be if not dismal?

Baby Boomers are to blame for just about every problem we have. They are the most self-centered, selfish generation this country has ever seen, completely opposite from their parents.

Baby Boomers are to blame for just about every problem we have. They are the most self-centered, selfish generation this country has ever seen, completely opposite from their parents.

Really? What about their children, Generation X?

Here is a very interesting book by Landon Jones:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Great-Expectations-America-Baby-Generation/dp/0698110498]Amazon.com: Great Expectations: America and the Baby Boom Generation (9780698110496): Landon Y. Jones: Books[/ame]

A very interesting book about us that says we did not find life to be as wonderful as we were led to believe it would be. Due to the large number of us the competition for anything was fierce.

Being on the front end of the boomer generation I can tell you that if we WERE selfish and self centered it was because we were taught to be that way. Our parents had won the war to end all wars, and it was time to live to the fullest. But as Great Expectations explains that didn't always pan out. We did have some good things, though.

I think if you compare the social conscience of the boomers with our parents, you will find that we are not lacking. Boomers did step out and confront issues of the day like racism, poverty, child abuse, and many more. We may not have nuked anyone, but we did some very good work with our lives.

While one person will see us as self serving and selfish, another will see us as wanting to fix the world.

Last edited:

Amazon.com: Great Expectations: America and the Baby Boom Generation (9780698110496): Landon Y. Jones: Books

A very interesting book about us that says we did not find life to be as wonderful as we were led to believe it would be. Due to the large number of us the competition for anything was fierce.

Being on the front end of the boomer generation I can tell you that if we WERE selfish and self centered it was because we were taught to be that way. Our parents had won the war to end all wars, and it was time to live to the fullest. But as Great Expectations explains that didn't always pan out. We did have some good things, though.

I think if you compare the social conscience of the boomers with our parents, you will find that we are not lacking. Boomers did step out and confront issues of the day like racism, poverty, child abuse, and many more. We may not have nuked anyone, but we did some very good work with our lives.

While one person will see us as self serving and selfish, another will see us as wanting to fix the world.

All the things that the Boomer generation did that was good, turns out to be pro liberal causes. All the things that they did that was so horrible and have everyone blaming them for our current situation turns out to be pro conservative causes. Now that would be a good study to look at. Boomer greed knows no bounds, and they're refusal to accept responsibility for anything is unprecidented.

Amazon.com: Great Expectations: America and the Baby Boom Generation (9780698110496): Landon Y. Jones: Books

Well I was in the UK not the US but I think some people have no idea of the advantages which were worked for for them and which they now take for granted.

Noticing 'Don't Taz Me Bro. what I remember is being brought up with 'After all we did for you. We fought a war for you' and of course we were not impressed. I have often said to my daughter how good her granddad would feel if he were here now. He, like the rest of them, always wanted the reverence they are now being given.

Maybe we'll just need to wait for the next generation ;)

All the things that the Boomer generation did that was good, turns out to be pro liberal causes. All the things that they did that was so horrible and have everyone blaming them for our current situation turns out to be pro conservative causes. Now that would be a good study to look at. Boomer greed knows no bounds, and they're refusal to accept responsibility for anything is unprecidented.

:link:

So our generation would have been better if we had nuked someone?

Let's see:

Here is how far technology has come with the boomers:

Babyboomers And Technology

We brought you space travel, microwaves, cell phones, personal computers, anti lock brakes, cardiac pacemakers, organ transplants, joint replacements, immunizations and cures for deadly diseases, to name a few things.

What are YOU going to do for the next generation?

l

Let's see:

We brought you space travel, microwaves, cell phones, personal computers, anti lock brakes, cardiac pacemakers, organ transplants, joint replacements, immunizations and cures for deadly diseases, to name a few things.

l

Try to keep America together after the boomers do their best to destroy it with their greed, and self centeredness. I have to say that not all Boomers are like this, to avoid the "sweeping generalization" lable.

If you look at our government it has been run by Boomers for years now. So if the politicians are boomers and we can't trust politicians, can we trust boomers? It is Boomer policies that have got us where we are today. Can'y deny that.

Boomers have done good and bad, it is a question of the bad out weighing the good. Sorry to say but it does. The worst thing they did was the value system they passed down to their children. That will take generations to undo the damage they have done.

Washington (CNN) -- Baby boomers -- those born between 1946 and 1964 -- have been described as "the pig in the python" and the "sandwich generation."

They lived well, grew up in relative abundance and, some say, expected their Social Security, health care and government support to be there as they grew old.

Now, as the future of the country's economy is up in the air, is this group of 80 million aging Americans -- many of whom are sprinting toward retirement age -- the ones to blame for the nation's shaky economic system?

The answer is not so simple.

Baby boomers grew up during relative prosperity, from the economic boom of the post-World War II '50s to the "Me" generation of the '60s through the lucrative uptick in the Reagan '80s. And then there were the budget surpluses they enjoyed during the Clinton '90s.

As a result, many were able to buy second homes, take out loans at low interest rates, buy cheap gas and pump money back into the economy.

Life was good, many say, until September 2008.

Are baby boomers to blame for debt crisis? - CNN.com

So ARE baby boomers to blame for the debt crisis. I remember the years mentioned and life WAS good! What will our old age be if not dismal?

to blame? i guess to the extent they exist in large numbers...

reality check though... no intentionally cutting our revenue while running two wars of choice = no debt "crisis".

raise our revenue... poof! it all gets better.

something i know the right can't abide.

Generation X is at least 60% of the problem. Boomers the remaining 40%.
I am just barely a boomer...so I can claim not to be a gen X (thank God)

The 80's was the "me" generation...90's the "not me" generation.
One wants the world to revolve around them - the other blames the world for their problems.
The 00's - I would tag the "dependent" generation. Those that expect something for the shear fact that they breathe.

In the end - it took all of the above.
If you want to know if you are personally responsible...if you answer yes to any of the following you are that much responsible...the more yes's - the more you are at fault.

1) The amount you borrowed on your first home is greater than one years household income.
2) Your mortgage was an A.R.M. and you provided little to no down payment.
3) Your debt/income ratio is greater than 50% of your NET income.
4) Your treat your savings account like something that just comes with a checking account.
5) You borrowed from your 401k to buy something you absolutely didn't need.
6) You have had credit card debt greater than one months wages.
7) You haven't voted in years.
8) You voted for Bush not because you couldn't have stomached Kerry...but because you believed he was a good President.
9) You voted for Obama for President and would do it again.
10) You shop at WalMart regularly.
11) Whether something is made in America or not is secondary to saving a few bucks on a cheaper option.

I could go on.

Let's see:

l

Stem cell research, sustainable energy, genetic engineering, unprecedented access to education and information, telecommuting on a massive scale, and hopefully a much more functional and affordable social safety net than your generation has left us (to pay for also).

Tell ya what. Mail a letter ( if you can write) to Bill Gates, Ian Murdock, Steve Jobs, Vinad Khosla,Charles Geschke, John Warnock and tell them how bad they fucked up your life.
You'll have your response in 15 days ( if your mommy allows you to walk to the mailboxz)

In the process of following in their parents footsteps. Their parents, however, have been and are still the generation in control of this country.

The GOP's next tactic to divide this great country that they hate and destroy it from within; "Turn one generation against the other."

The GOP's next tactic to divide this great country that they hate and destroy it from within; "Turn one generation against the other."

It has nothing to do with Republican or Democrat; it's simply the natural course of events. When the X'ers and the Millennials have to pay taxes out the ass to fund all the entitlements the Boomers think they deserve, despite the fact they fucked our country up, that's what will cause the generational rift.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Elr5K2Vuo]‪"I Learned It By Watching You" Anti-Drug PSA‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]​

This is a non issue all the way around as I can see it. So some of you are angry because the current people running things are boomers? The only reason for that is that us boomers are currently the biggest work force. To blame us for the current mess is not right at all.

Should we blame the entire last generation for the atomic bomb?

Boomers are an issue when it comes time for retirement, because 3x times as many of us were born during a 20 yr. period. The last generation pays into the S.S. fund for the next gen., so it is going to be hard to pay the S.S. checks to so many of us. However, the boomer generations(3x times as many folks)have been paying into the fund. So, theoretically there should be more than enough in the fund for the next gen..

Problem is that the Government has borrowed it's way through this fund since it's very beginning.

It has nothing to do with Republican or Democrat; it's simply the natural course of events. When the X'ers and the Millennials have to pay taxes out the ass to fund all the entitlements the Boomers think they deserve, despite the fact they fucked our country up, that's what will cause the generational rift.

Are you a gen boom or a gen x? You sound young to me. I have heard blaming republicans, democrats, libs, etc...but to blame a generation is stupid. I was born the last yr. of the baby boomers, 1964. There are 3x as many boomers as any other generation, that means boomers have paid in 3x as much taxes as any other generation. Now let me tell you that since I have been paying into the S.S. fund since I was 16, if I were to get disabled I would expect to draw a check. Why? Because it's my damn money.

Forum List

Back