Are Baby Boomers to Blame for the Debt Crisis?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Sunshine, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Are baby boomers to blame for debt crisis? - CNN.com

So ARE baby boomers to blame for the debt crisis. I remember the years mentioned and life WAS good! What will our old age be if not dismal?

2. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,520
    Baby Boomers are to blame for just about every problem we have. They are the most self-centered, selfish generation this country has ever seen, completely opposite from their parents.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Really? What about their children, Generation X?

4. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    Here is a very interesting book by Landon Jones:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Great-Expectations-America-Baby-Generation/dp/0698110498]Amazon.com: Great Expectations: America and the Baby Boom Generation (9780698110496): Landon Y. Jones: Books[/ame]

A very interesting book about us that says we did not find life to be as wonderful as we were led to believe it would be. Due to the large number of us the competition for anything was fierce.

Being on the front end of the boomer generation I can tell you that if we WERE selfish and self centered it was because we were taught to be that way. Our parents had won the war to end all wars, and it was time to live to the fullest. But as Great Expectations explains that didn't always pan out. We did have some good things, though.

I think if you compare the social conscience of the boomers with our parents, you will find that we are not lacking. Boomers did step out and confront issues of the day like racism, poverty, child abuse, and many more. We may not have nuked anyone, but we did some very good work with our lives.

While one person will see us as self serving and selfish, another will see us as wanting to fix the world.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    All the things that the Boomer generation did that was good, turns out to be pro liberal causes. All the things that they did that was so horrible and have everyone blaming them for our current situation turns out to be pro conservative causes. Now that would be a good study to look at. Boomer greed knows no bounds, and they're refusal to accept responsibility for anything is unprecidented.

6. alexa

alexa VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Well I was in the UK not the US but I think some people have no idea of the advantages which were worked for for them and which they now take for granted.

Noticing 'Don't Taz Me Bro. what I remember is being brought up with 'After all we did for you. We fought a war for you' and of course we were not impressed. I have often said to my daughter how good her granddad would feel if he were here now. He, like the rest of them, always wanted the reverence they are now being given.

Maybe we'll just need to wait for the next generation ;)

7. Sunshine

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    :link:

So our generation would have been better if we had nuked someone?

Let's see:

Here is how far technology has come with the boomers:

Babyboomers And Technology

We brought you space travel, microwaves, cell phones, personal computers, anti lock brakes, cardiac pacemakers, organ transplants, joint replacements, immunizations and cures for deadly diseases, to name a few things.

What are YOU going to do for the next generation?

l

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Try to keep America together after the boomers do their best to destroy it with their greed, and self centeredness. I have to say that not all Boomers are like this, to avoid the "sweeping generalization" lable.

If you look at our government it has been run by Boomers for years now. So if the politicians are boomers and we can't trust politicians, can we trust boomers? It is Boomer policies that have got us where we are today. Can'y deny that.

Boomers have done good and bad, it is a question of the bad out weighing the good. Sorry to say but it does. The worst thing they did was the value system they passed down to their children. That will take generations to undo the damage they have done.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,432
    to blame? i guess to the extent they exist in large numbers...

reality check though... no intentionally cutting our revenue while running two wars of choice = no debt "crisis".

raise our revenue... poof! it all gets better.

something i know the right can't abide.

10. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,118
    Generation X is at least 60% of the problem. Boomers the remaining 40%.
    I am just barely a boomer...so I can claim not to be a gen X (thank God)

The 80's was the "me" generation...90's the "not me" generation.
    One wants the world to revolve around them - the other blames the world for their problems.
    The 00's - I would tag the "dependent" generation. Those that expect something for the shear fact that they breathe.

In the end - it took all of the above.
    If you want to know if you are personally responsible...if you answer yes to any of the following you are that much responsible...the more yes's - the more you are at fault.

1) The amount you borrowed on your first home is greater than one years household income.
    2) Your mortgage was an A.R.M. and you provided little to no down payment.
    3) Your debt/income ratio is greater than 50% of your NET income.
    4) Your treat your savings account like something that just comes with a checking account.
    5) You borrowed from your 401k to buy something you absolutely didn't need.
    6) You have had credit card debt greater than one months wages.
    7) You haven't voted in years.
    8) You voted for Bush not because you couldn't have stomached Kerry...but because you believed he was a good President.
    9) You voted for Obama for President and would do it again.
    10) You shop at WalMart regularly.
    11) Whether something is made in America or not is secondary to saving a few bucks on a cheaper option.

I could go on.