Are any of you ready for this

It is not just food prices that are on the rise but gas as well. Hyper Inflation is rearing its ugly head and before long we will see it in our rear view mirrors.

OMG. Reading this thread makes me wonder! Riding home yesterday from a nice Jersey shore visit, we stopped at an Acme market, and if any American shares the depressing and crazy thoughts above they need to see a shrink. I have never seen so much food. I worked stocking shelfs as a kid in a corner store, and if anything we have too much. We have become a spoiled, self-centered nation of whiners. If we need anything, we need reality, compassion, empathy and we need to stop being babies. America where is your great spirit? Billions live on less than two dollars a day and Americans whine over food prices rising. Get a life. OMG sad.

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

"To serve contentment, there were and are three basic requirements. One is the need to defend the general limitation on government as regards the economy; there must be a doctrine that offers a feasible presumption against government intervention...The second, more specific need is to find social justification for the untrammeled, uninhibited pursuit and possession of wealth....There is need for demonstration that the pursuit of wealth or even less spectacular well-being serves a serious, even grave social purpose....The third need is to justify a reduced sense of public responsibility for the poor. Those so situated, the members of the functional and socially immobilised underclass, must, in some very real way, be seen as the architects of their own fate. If not, they could be, however marginally, on the conscience of the comfortable." John Kenneth Galbraith, The Culture of Contentment

Every still sane America should read these three books. If you don't know if you are sane read them anyway.

'Ill Fares the Land' by Tony Judt
'The Culture of Contentment' by John Kenneth Galbraith
'The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy' by Albert O. Hirschman

"He argues that a triplet of 'rhetorical' criticisms--perversity, futility, and jeopardy--'has been unfailingly leveled' by 'reactionaries' at each major progressive reform of the past 300 years--those T. H. Marshall identified with the advancement of civil, political and social rights of citizenship...Charmingly written, this book can benefit a diverse readership." Harvard University Press

OMG. Reading this thread makes me wonder! Riding home yesterday from a nice Jersey shore visit, we stopped at an Acme market, and if any American shares the depressing and crazy thoughts above they need to see a shrink. I have never seen so much food. I worked stocking shelfs as a kid in a corner store, and if anything we have too much. We have become a spoiled, self-centered nation of whiners. If we need anything, we need reality, compassion, empathy and we need to stop being babies. America where is your great spirit? Billions live on less than two dollars a day and Americans whine over food prices rising. Get a life. OMG sad.

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

"To serve contentment, there were and are three basic requirements. One is the need to defend the general limitation on government as regards the economy; there must be a doctrine that offers a feasible presumption against government intervention...The second, more specific need is to find social justification for the untrammeled, uninhibited pursuit and possession of wealth....There is need for demonstration that the pursuit of wealth or even less spectacular well-being serves a serious, even grave social purpose....The third need is to justify a reduced sense of public responsibility for the poor. Those so situated, the members of the functional and socially immobilised underclass, must, in some very real way, be seen as the architects of their own fate. If not, they could be, however marginally, on the conscience of the comfortable." John Kenneth Galbraith, The Culture of Contentment

Every still sane America should read these three books. If you don't know if you are sane read them anyway.

'Ill Fares the Land' by Tony Judt
'The Culture of Contentment' by John Kenneth Galbraith
'The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy' by Albert O. Hirschman

"He argues that a triplet of 'rhetorical' criticisms--perversity, futility, and jeopardy--'has been unfailingly leveled' by 'reactionaries' at each major progressive reform of the past 300 years--those T. H. Marshall identified with the advancement of civil, political and social rights of citizenship...Charmingly written, this book can benefit a diverse readership." Harvard University Press

The above is the words of an government offical^^^^^^^^^^^^^ of course the government will try to hide any bad news they would not want to cause a panic, because it would be very hard to control a population that is in a panic state of mind.
Sorry midcan hate to waste your everythings rosey government message, but this isn't a blame obama thread, this has been coming for a long time. Food shotages are starting to be the norm. But what the heck if you say there isn't a problem live that life stay the way you are.

There is no food shortage.

There is a ongoing monetary crime that is destroying our governments, and the quality of life in this nation.

Think about it.

One day there's plenty, the next day there's shortages and the prices rise beyond the working class's ability to buy stuff?

That's not real, that's contrived

There is a ongoing monetary crime that is destroying our governments, and the quality of life in this nation.

Think about it.

One day there's plenty, the next day there's shortages and the prices rise beyond the working class's ability to buy stuff?

Really there is no food shortages no where in the woirld? America is not an island unto itself, I have been told what happens elsewere will happen here.

Think about it.

Really there is no food shortages no where in the woirld? America is not an island unto itself, I have been told what happens elsewere will happen here.

Oh please... don't put words in my mouth. It's intellectually dishonest

Is there a shortage of food in the USA?

No, there is not.

But nevertheless the cost of food raises or falls based more on MONETARY manipulation than on the supply or demand curves.

Think about it.

No, there is not.

But nevertheless the cost of food raises or falls based more on MONETARY manipulation than on the supply or demand curves.

I take it you did not look at the source, you like some others just looked at the title and made a comment. This is just about America. So ed I didn't put words in your mouth. You in fact made it more specific, which is why I said what happens in the world sooner or laters will find it's way here.

Is there a food shortage in America? Well lets just say you do not get as much as you use to and the sheleves at the market aren't quite as full as they use to be.

In soviet union there were always "reasons" like floods and stuff every year why the economy was so bad.

I think these are the same kind of "reasons". Floods happen every year, and it just gets more attention because food prices are up. But like I said before in terms of gold price there is just a bit of variance.

Some of course maybe speculating with the food, which may lead to empty shelves and bubbling / faster price increases. I think the core issue is the monetary inflation here, and that is going on almost all over the world... save certain places like australia, new zeland, swizerland that didn't get hit by the flood... of money.

Anyway of course there is going to be some variances, and inflation can lead to bubbling which may make it even worse. But since prices are up so much, I do think that the output would soon follow as people will be farming cause the price is up so much... though US sure has some regulations which make that harder.

Last edited:

Think about it.

If it happens, there will be famine. The weak and ill will die. The population will decrease.

Then there will be enough food.

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

No, there is not.

I take it you did not look at the source, you like some others just looked at the title and made a comment. This is just about America. So ed I didn't put words in your mouth. You in fact made it more specific, which is why I said what happens in the world sooner or laters will find it's way here.

Is there a food shortage in America? Well lets just say you do not get as much as you use to and the sheleves at the market aren't quite as full as they use to be.

Shelves are not as full as they used to be?
that is because of the snow slowing down deliveries :)
And stores not keeping a much stock to maximize profits.

No, there is not.

Shelves are not as full as they used to be?
that is because of the snow slowing down deliveries :)
And stores not keeping a much stock to maximize profits.

Enjoy life Live laugh and love. Peace be unto you good citizen.

Think about it.

If it happens, there will be famine. The weak and ill will die. The population will decrease.

According to the gerogia guidestones five hundred million is as large a population we are supposed to have that is world wide.

According to the gerogia guidestones five hundred million is as large a population we are supposed to have that is world wide.

We have always had people starving somewhere in the world and likely always will.
And so far it has been a matter of them being too poor to buy food from others not that there is not enough food.

Do you really think those poor people in Somalia would have been starving had their pockets been full of gold?

Last edited:

We have always had people starving somewhere in the world and likely always will.
And so far it has been a matter of them being too poor to buy food from others not that there is not enough food.

Do you really think those poor people in Somalia would have been starving had their pockets been full of gold?
You can take my information that I give or youcan disregaud it. I am not going to argue about it. You say everything is ok thats fine.
Live laugh and love. enjoy life.

NC the high level of processing and packaging in the US and other developed countries mutes the increasing prices of food here but margins at grocery stores are getting squeezed. One development that is quite recent here in FL are chefs opening pick-up catering of relatively high end meals. Since my wife is on a restricted diet we've been using the local service but only for about a month and prices have still gone up nearly 12%. I like to make homemade calzone the cost of whole grain dough, pepperoni, cheese and veggies has just about doubled over the past year. 15 bean soup bags have gone up more than 50%.

Starvation in the US is unlikely in the extreme but the percentage of household budgets going to groceries is going to keep climbing, package sizes for food are likely to continue to decline and spending less than $20 for bake it yourself catering rather than going to restaurants for $40 with tip for a comparable meal is going to become more common. Caloric intake per capita is increasing worldwide and economic starvation has just about disappeared but there is a reason why there is a dollar menu at fastfood places and "The Economist" keeps a Big Mac index to keep track of world food prices. Decent quality food is in short supply worldwide and in particular meat and animal byproduct intake is really taking off in places like China and India. A key problem is that a pound of eggs or milk costs less than half as much as a pound of chicken or beef which cost @ 10 lbs of feed with chicken growing to optimal size faster than a steer. So meat of any sort is going to increase in cost drastically over the course of the next decade. But starvation in the big breadbasket ain't going to happen.

NC the high level of processing and packaging in the US and other developed countries mutes the increasing prices of food here but margins at grocery stores are getting squeezed. One development that is quite recent here in FL are chefs opening pick-up catering of relatively high end meals. Since my wife is on a restricted diet we've been using the local service but only for about a month and prices have still gone up nearly 12%. I like to make homemade calzone the cost of whole grain dough, pepperoni, cheese and veggies has just about doubled over the past year. 15 bean soup bags have gone up more than 50%.

Starvation in the US is unlikely in the extreme but the percentage of household budgets going to groceries is going to keep climbing, package sizes for food are likely to continue to decline and spending less than $20 for bake it yourself catering rather than going to restaurants for $40 with tip for a comparable meal is going to become more common. Caloric intake per capita is increasing worldwide and economic starvation has just about disappeared but there is a reason why there is a dollar menu at fastfood places and "The Economist" keeps a Big Mac index to keep track of world food prices. Decent quality food is in short supply worldwide and in particular meat and animal byproduct intake is really taking off in places like China and India. A key problem is that a pound of eggs or milk costs less than half as much as a pound of chicken or beef which cost @ 10 lbs of feed with chicken growing to optimal size faster than a steer. So meat of any sort is going to increase in cost drastically over the course of the next decade. But starvation in the big breadbasket ain't going to happen.

Fine America will not have empty sheleves food will be plentful.

Expensive, lower quality foods sold in smaller packages but yeah.

Expensive, lower quality foods sold in smaller packages but yeah.

ok sounds good to me.

Food prices are on the raise due to shortages.

2011 has just begun and yet we are already seeing significant price shocks and serious food shortages in many areas of the globe. In fact, violent economic riots are now being reported in Algeria, in Chile and in Mozambique. Food shortages and price increases are also causing political unrest in other nations such as India, Bangladesh and Indonesia.

Price Shocks, Food Shortages And Global Economic Riots In 2011?

The OP brings to mind a far larger danger, not that food prices would begin to rise...but that food would not be available at all!

On January 7, 2011, Hillsdale’s Kirby Center sponsored a lecture by Brian Kennedy, President of Claremont Institute, and Ballistic Missile Defense Project Director. It was carried on C-Span. During the lecture, Kennedy discussed the dangers of an electomagnetic pulse bomb exploded over the US by one of our several enemies...

1. Existential threats from abroad include Iran, whose beliefs include the necessity of destroying the infidel. They have developed advanced missiles that could destroy an American city, or if it could deliver the warhead as an electromagnetic pulse weapon, it could destroy the electronic infrastructure of the United States, causing hundreds of millions of United States deaths.

a. The pulse would destroy transformers, so that your lights won’t work, your refrigerator nor would the pumps that bring water to your home. Without transportation, food stores could not be restocked. The Electromagnetic Pulse Commission has estimated that after such an attack, the United States could support life for about 30 million people. The report makes for interesting reading: http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

b. Such an attack requires that a warhead be exploded in the high atmosphere, rather than reentering as in a missile attack. The Iranians have twice practiced such an attack in the Caspian Sea, exploding a dummy warhead in the high atmosphere to simulate a pulse bomb. How difficult would it be for them to position a ship off our coast?

The average home has food for about 3-5 days. Grocery stocks would be exhausted in a bit over a week. We have 300 million citizens; the country could lose over 200 million due to starvation and disease.

c. We do not currently have a missile defense to counter these weapons. The American people should be informed of this.

Did that make your day?

Probably the best defense is to buy some acreage out in the country to grow food on and become self sufficient. Just make sure your family has a shotgun or two for protection in case somebody tries to take it from you. This precaution is not only good for electromagnetic pulse detonation but also 2) Giant meteor impact 3) Worldwide economic collapse 4) Global Warming 5) Global cooling 6) Massive solar storm 7) Declaration of marshal law 8) Global pandemic 9) Nuclear terror attack 10) Severe interruption to oil supply to name just a few. The key to survival in these situations, as always, is adaptability.

Food prices are on the raise due to shortages.

2011 has just begun and yet we are already seeing significant price shocks and serious food shortages in many areas of the globe. In fact, violent economic riots are now being reported in Algeria, in Chile and in Mozambique. Food shortages and price increases are also causing political unrest in other nations such as India, Bangladesh and Indonesia.

Price Shocks, Food Shortages And Global Economic Riots In 2011?

The OP brings to mind a far larger danger, not that food prices would begin to rise...but that food would not be available at all!

On January 7, 2011, Hillsdale’s Kirby Center sponsored a lecture by Brian Kennedy, President of Claremont Institute, and Ballistic Missile Defense Project Director. It was carried on C-Span. During the lecture, Kennedy discussed the dangers of an electomagnetic pulse bomb exploded over the US by one of our several enemies...

1. Existential threats from abroad include Iran, whose beliefs include the necessity of destroying the infidel. They have developed advanced missiles that could destroy an American city, or if it could deliver the warhead as an electromagnetic pulse weapon, it could destroy the electronic infrastructure of the United States, causing hundreds of millions of United States deaths.

a. The pulse would destroy transformers, so that your lights won’t work, your refrigerator nor would the pumps that bring water to your home. Without transportation, food stores could not be restocked. The Electromagnetic Pulse Commission has estimated that after such an attack, the United States could support life for about 30 million people. The report makes for interesting reading: http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

b. Such an attack requires that a warhead be exploded in the high atmosphere, rather than reentering as in a missile attack. The Iranians have twice practiced such an attack in the Caspian Sea, exploding a dummy warhead in the high atmosphere to simulate a pulse bomb. How difficult would it be for them to position a ship off our coast?

The average home has food for about 3-5 days. Grocery stocks would be exhausted in a bit over a week. We have 300 million citizens; the country could lose over 200 million due to starvation and disease.

c. We do not currently have a missile defense to counter these weapons. The American people should be informed of this.

Did that make your day?

Probably the best defense is to buy some acreage out in the country to grow food on and become self sufficient. Just make sure your family has a shotgun or two for protection in case somebody tries to take it from you. This precaution is not only good for electromagnetic pulse detonation but also 2) Giant meteor impact 3) Worldwide economic collapse 4) Global Warming 5) Global cooling 6) Massive solar storm 7) Declaration of marshal law 8) Global pandemic 9) Nuclear terror attack 10) Severe interruption to oil supply to name just a few. The key to survival in these situations, as always, is adaptability.

Have you seen the new EPA law? voted in last year? What you suggest would be impossible.

Forum List

Back