Are Americans Too Image Conscious To Elect A Fat President?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Are we becoming less image-conscious as a nation?

Or are we becoming more so?

I say the latter...what say you? And why?

more image-conscious. It's because of television, magazines, internet, etc.

Now that is an interesting question...

Would you elect a "fat" president?

What if that said president had a thyroid problem and was uncontrollably fat?

William Howard Taft

How long ago was that again?

What was the state of the media?

What was the definition of beauty at the time?

Were thin women in?

Or volumptoush*cough*fat women in?

Or did you even stop to consider that before you thought to yourself "I know who...I'll show him!?"

just because newt is fat is not the reason he wont win

I didn't call any names.

Doesn't look too good for the Newster....if his own supporters consider him to be a fatso.

Newt has other problems besides being fat that will keep him from being nominated, let alone elected.

Have to agree with you on that. Way back in our past we elected some very Ugly and very over weight Presidents. I think one could win today, but it certainly would be an issue.

William Howard Taft

Were thin women in?

Or did you even stop to consider that before you thought to yourself "I know who...I'll show him!?"

I think the main issue would be a health one, and if we are willing to Elect a Smoker I don't see why we would not Elect a fat person.

On a side note. I would be willing to bet they would lose weight in the job :)

Have to agree with you on that. Way back in our past we elected some very Ugly and very over weight Presidents. I think one could win today, but it certainly would be an issue.

Then shouldn't you guys be carefully considering the folks you put up against your political opponent(s)?

Let's face it...you can't be fat and ugly.

Usually fat and ugly goes hand in hand.

Nixon was the last one that was even slightly fat. Carter was nice and trim, Reagan...same thing, Bush I, same thing, Clinton...same thing, Bush II, fits. Obama...fit to even thin/skinny.

Anyone who thinks a FATSO can make it in such a high profile position needs to have their head examined.

And I'm including ALL the names that's been bandied about...as good as they may appeal to the bases and/or their local/statewide constituents.

Fatsoes are a no-go in the big times folks. Cold, hard truth of the 21st Century.

:cool:

Then shouldn't you guys be carefully considering the folks you put up against your political opponent(s)?

Nixon was the last one that was even slightly fat. Carter was nice and trim, Reagan...same thing, Bush I, same thing, Clinton...same thing, Bush II, fitsame. Obama...fit to even thin.

Anyone who thinks a FATSO can make it in such a high profile position needs to have their head examined.

And I'm including ALL the names that's been bandied about...as good as they may appeal to the bases and/or their local/statewide constituents.

Fatsoes are a no-go in the big times folks. Cold, hard truth of the 21st Century.

the republicans haven't and won't nominate Gingrich.

William Howard Taft

Were thin women in?

I think the main issue would be a health one, and if we are willing to Elect a Smoker I don't see why we would not Elect a fat person.

On a side note. I would be willing to bet they would lose weight in the job :)
I'd be willing to bet that the American people won't be willing to gamble and see if a fatso would lose weight on the job. They'd have to see him/her lose it BEFORE he started.

Also note, Obama had to damn near convince the public that he quit smoking.

It wasn't until his 1.5 years in that it came out that he snuck some puffs in hear and there.

This image-thing isn't a game folks.

America has created this monster and now has to deal with it.

Nixon was the last one that was even slightly fat. Carter was nice and trim, Reagan...same thing, Bush I, same thing, Clinton...same thing, Bush II, fitsame. Obama...fit to even thin.

the republicans haven't and won't nominate Gingrich.

There's more than 1 or 2 fatsoes that's been bandied about thus far...one already's out, there's at least 2 more left, outside of The Newster that is.

Smokers? Everyone smoked in the White House until when, the Clintons? Second hand smoke from presidents and staffers was common and then Bubba Bill had a better idea. Why not spread second hand DNA around?

Forum List

Back