Are Americans actually so fat?

It's disgusting, that's for sure.
What is ???

What do you mean "what is?" I think it's pretty obvious. Follow the conversation.
Well, excuse me

You people should excuse yourselves. This isn't the flamer zone. It's the healthcare section. Isn't there enough of this kind of talk for you people elsewhere?
OK. point taken. Sorry.

Sorry. I'm just a little bitchy today. :D It's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong.

What is ???

What do you mean "what is?" I think it's pretty obvious. Follow the conversation.
Well, excuse me

You people should excuse yourselves. This isn't the flamer zone. It's the healthcare section. Isn't there enough of this kind of talk for you people elsewhere?
OK. point taken. Sorry.

Sorry. I'm just a little bitchy today. :D It's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong.
No problem. It's fine.

Well, excuse me

OK. point taken. Sorry.

No problem. It's fine.

Still, it would be nice to have conversations that don't involve sex, penises and swallowing and such things sometimes. :D

Well, excuse me

OK. point taken. Sorry.

No problem. It's fine.

Still, it would be nice to have conversations that don't involve sex, penises and swallowing and such things sometimes. :D
You're correct. I agree.

Personally I don't like this stereotype.
Have you ever compare us with other nations? IS it really true?
One idea of mine: Poorer people have to buy cheaper food. Cheap food tends to be more fattening and unhealthy than more expensive alternatives.
In a society in which time and money are king, it's no surprise that fast food is also king.
May we blame fast food as usual?

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg
Damn ........ I promised her that no one would see that picture but me ............... how did you get your hands on it? ............ she's going to swear that I broke my word and passed it around on the internet ........... oh shit .. I just remembered ........... I sold that computer without erasing the hard drive first .............. Willis, did you post that picture on the internet? ................ damn you ... now I'm in deep do-do ............... I'll get even with you Willis, if it's the last thing I do ........... Bunny is going to fry me over that picture ... ..... man, I thought we were tight bro ... we was friends ........... now look what you've gone and done to me ....... shit man ........... damn bro ................
sonny bottom line....did she swallow?....
YES !!!!!!! .... definitely.

I'm 6 foot, 185 lbs but I've been as fat as 234. When you stop eating sugar and deep fried anything, the weight comes off pretty easy. The shocking part is how ADDICTIVE certain foods can be! I went through a weeks worth of headaches detoxing from all that garbage.

When I was in school there were maybe one or two fat kids. Now it seems AT LEAST 50% of the kids are obese and many are just plain chunky.

I'm 6 foot and 168 pounds. (I gained 2 pounds this weekend after company came over. :( ) I was at 199 on New Year's. I've lost weight by slashing my bad carbs by 80%-90%, stopping snacking during the middle of the day, reducing my portions a bit, and doubling my exercise.

Bad carbs are bad. They are killers. I <3 potato chips and french fries, but I rarely eat them any more.

It's not a conspiracy. If people in poor neighborhoods bought whole foods someone would be selling whole foods.
You have no clue how the food bidness works do you? :lol:
I am completely aware of how perpetual victims blame their environment for their shortcomings. But you have no clue on how capitalism works.

I'm a big fan of capitalism, but it certainly has its faults.

Go into a Denny's, an IHOP, or any chain for that matter. Open the menus, and you're likely to see selections that jump out to you from the page. That's because big restaurant companies spend - literally - billions of dollars on marketing and understanding how you as a human being react unconciously to food. They market to you to create a physiological reaction to want a meal based on taste. Humans have deep, unconscious, physiological reactions companies spend a lot of money to compel you to buy, even if they kill you in the long wrong.

Are Americans actually so fat?

Leave your house lately?

Ever notice what waddles into places like Costco, Walmart, or fast food restaurants? It's not cheaper food that puts weight on people, it's OVER consumption of food and drinks. The old adage, "a moment on the lips, forever on the hips" is very valid. Calories taken in versus energy expenditure is not a difficult equation.

It's not a conspiracy. If people in poor neighborhoods bought whole foods someone would be selling whole foods.
I am completely aware of how perpetual victims blame their environment for their shortcomings. But you have no clue on how capitalism works.

Go into a Denny's, an IHOP, or any chain for that matter. Open the menus, and you're likely to see selections that jump out to you from the page. That's because big restaurant companies spend - literally - billions of dollars on marketing and understanding how you as a human being react unconciously to food. They market to you to create a physiological reaction to want a meal based on taste. Humans have deep, unconscious, physiological reactions companies spend a lot of money to compel you to buy, even if they kill you in the long wrong.
Interesting theory. I live in the same world and watch what I eat and have never been fat. Blaming capitalism is sheer stupidity. I guess sexy ads drive you to hookers.

Interesting theory. I live in the same world and watch what I eat and have never been fat. Blaming capitalism is sheer stupidity. I guess sexy ads drive you to hookers.

It's not a theory. It's called neuromarketing.

That you are not susceptible to it does not mean it does not apply to the population at large.

That you are not susceptible to it does not mean it does not apply to the population at large.
I am not a super being, hard to believe, I know. Your theory rests on the belief that people have no will power through no fault of their own. You eat junk food because you want to, not because you've been tricked into it year after year.

I am not a super being, hard to believe, I know. Your theory rests on the belief that people have no will power through no fault of their own. You eat junk food because you want to, not because you've been tricked into it year after year.

No, it's not a theory, nor is it a premise for anything. Stimuli is used to evoke a biological response by triggering responses in the brain. It's not a trick. It's neurological science.

That doesn't absolve people of responsibility for using the product. But it does recognize that those who have an economic interest in putting out a product that will eventually kill you have at least some responsibility for doing so. It's not an either/or situation.

No, it's not a theory, nor is it a premise for anything. Stimuli is used to evoke a biological response by triggering responses in the brain. It's not a trick. It's neurological science.

That doesn't absolve people of responsibility for using the product. But it does recognize that those who have an economic interest in putting out a product that will eventually kill you have at least some responsibility for doing so. It's not an either/or situation.
...and waving a red flag in front of you causes you to charge. We get it. The companies have a responsibility to their shareholders, not your waist line. That's up to you.

How many people understand nutrition? Schools aren't teaching it. I know a lot of low income families who eat nothing but processed foods because they're cheaper. I know a lot of middle income families who eat fast foods because they're busy and it's easier than cooking when you have three kids with different activities.

There is an assumption that companies wouldn't sell it if it's bad for you and that if you buy it at a grocery store it's healthy.

...and waving a red flag in front of you causes you to charge. We get it. The companies have a responsibility to their shareholders, not your waist line. That's up to you.

And they should continue to do so. But because those narrow interest are contributing to an obesity epidemic, laws can be passed which help consumers make better choices and are beneficial to society as a whole.

Forum List

Back