Arctic ice thins dramatically

Think of ice cubes in a full class of water. If you do not drink any water and the ice melts, does the glass overflow?

If the entire ice mass were under water and melted their would be a change in th water level , but as we agree , part of the ice mass is above the water level.
the % of change in density.

The excess volume is the part that floats.

Wow ... just wow ... your naiveness in science is only made more astounding by the fact that you can't even understand the simplified version I posted.

The excess "volume" isn't the part that "floats". Reread what I explained to you, then again, buy a chemistry book, hell, even an elementary level book explains it now.

If the entire ice mass were under water and melted their would be a change in th water level , but as we agree , part of the ice mass is above the water level.
the % of change in density.

No, another good example is arctic sailors have a saying, "if you see the tip of an iceberg above the water, you are already on it."

Im sorry I give up ,perhaps you can gain some insight here.
Ice caps melting = water rising? Text - Physics Forums Library
God be with you kitten.

Holy shit! I know chemistry, was the only class in school I enjoyed besides electronics (which I got kicked out of for hacking the teachers computer). I explained it to you, and now you post something no more credible than Wicrapedia? Shit, you are just as dense as your evil twin (Chris).

Though I know you won't understand all this: Ice Physics

I recommend the series "How Things Work" for you though, it's more your level of understanding.

Neither one of those links helps your case, Nothing can.
Ice is 9% less dense than water, when it melts the atoms get closer and the volume decreases 9%

Here is one from next weeks summer camp dont miss it.
Melting Icebergs Global Warming Polar Ice Caps Sea Level Science Experiment of the Week 215

IThis Week's Experiment - #215 Melting Icebergs

This week's experiment comes from a report I recently heard on National Public Radio. Unfortunately, I was driving and could not write down the fellow's name, so I could give him proper credit. He was talking about the facts and fictions of global warming. One point that he mentioned was one that I had heard many times and had never thought all the way through. What would happen if the global temperature rose enough for much of the polar ice caps to melt? All of that extra water would cause worldwide flooding, right? Lets investigate. You will need:
a glass
water
ice cubes

Try to get a large lump of several ice cubes frozen together. You can place several ice cubes into a bowl and leave it in the freezer over night and they should freeze together. Place the ice cubes into a glass or bowl. Add enough water to fill the glass to the top. Add as much water as you can, until the glass will not hold any more without overflowing.

Now, look carefully at the glass, water and ice. There is quite a bit of ice sticking up above the glass. What will happen when the ice melts? Now that you have formed a hypothesis (a scientific guess), watch to see what happens. Be sure that the glass is not bumped or disturbed. As the ice melts, does the water overflow?

No, it does not. Even when all of the ice has melted, the glass is just as full as it was when you started. As water freezes, it expands. It still weighs the same, but it takes up more space. This means that it will float when you put it into water. As it floats, the part of the ice that is underwater takes up exactly as much space as the water that it formed from took up. When it melts, it will take up that amount of space again, and so the glass does not overflow.

Back to what would happen if the polar ice caps melted, there is a big difference between the two polar ice caps. The North polar ice is all ice, floating in water. If you could selectively melt just the northern ice cap, sea level would stay the same.

The southern polar ice cap is not floating. Instead, it sits on the continent of Antarctica. If it melted, then the sea level would rise. The fellow that was giving the information said that most of the figures for global flooding overstated the rise in sea level because they failed to take into account that the northern ice would not change sea level. I have not been able to verify that, but I will keep my ears open. And of course, global warming would also melt a lot of ice in other parts of the world, not just the ice caps. Still, it does make a nice experiment of the week.

Sure, but that wont change you believing something that isn't true.
Do the above experiment .
It works every time.
I promise.

It works every time.
I promise.

I know more about chemistry than you seem to understand. We did the "experiment" you posted in class using many variations. I won't bore others with the long list of results, but needless to say, I still have no idea what your point is. Mine was simple, melting ice = no reason for concern.

God be with you kitten.

Holy shit! I know chemistry, was the only class in school I enjoyed besides electronics (which I got kicked out of for hacking the teachers computer). I explained it to you, and now you post something no more credible than Wicrapedia? Shit, you are just as dense as your evil twin (Chris).

I recommend the series "How Things Work" for you though, it's more your level of understanding.

I recommend you read the following MIT article....

Climate change odds much worse than thought - MIT News Office

God be with you kitten.

*yawn* Read it along with the hundreds of others that contradict it, unlike you, I like to know the whole picture and I don't like monopolies.

*yawn* Read it along with the hundreds of others that contradict it, unlike you, I like to know the whole picture and I don't like monopolies.

There is nothing so closed as a closed mind.

It works every time.
I promise.

I know more about chemistry than you seem to understand. We did the "experiment" you posted in class using many variations. I won't bore others with the long list of results, but needless to say, I still have no idea what your point is. Mine was simple, melting ice = no reason for concern.

Actually, not really, but I won't offer Chris the real answers normally. Just think of it this way, the world has to balance itself out everytime something goes "unbalanced" ... nature has developed checks and balances that do this. If all the arctic ice melts the water table would also drop drastically. So ... to keep the water table at the right level more water from someplace else has to go into the ocean to raise it, since Ice takes up more space than water.
I contend the floating ice would not cause any rise in the water level when it melts. Ice is 9% less dense than water.9 % of the ice protrudes above the water level when the ice melts it reduces in density 9% no change in water level.
Run off from grounded ice melt would cause water levels to rise.

Last edited:
It works every time.
I promise.

Actually, not really, but I won't offer Chris the real answers normally. Just think of it this way, the world has to balance itself out everytime something goes "unbalanced" ... nature has developed checks and balances that do this. If all the arctic ice melts the water table would also drop drastically. So ... to keep the water table at the right level more water from someplace else has to go into the ocean to raise it, since Ice takes up more space than water.
I contend the floating ice would not cause any rise in the water level when it melts. Ice is 9% less dense than water.9 % of the ice protrudes above the water level when the ice melts it reduces in density 9% no change in water level.
Run off from grounded ice melt would cause water levels to rise.

There are a lot more factors involved, one of the reasons Chris can't see reason. A 9% change in oceanic levels would be a "lot" actually, keeping in mind the vast area they cover and how small we are. As I said, I am a "big picture" person, I don't like ignoring most of science just to make a point. ;)

There is no change Kitten .Not 9 % not .009 just what ever solids ( dust and debris ) trapped in the ice that are released and sink to the bottom of the ocean as sediment . Im sorry .

Forum List

Back