Arctic ice thins dramatically

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
PASADENA, Calif. – Arctic sea ice thinned dramatically between the winters of 2004 and 2008, with thin seasonal ice replacing thick older ice as the dominant type for the first time on record.

The new results, based on data from a NASA Earth-orbiting spacecraft, provide further evidence for the rapid, ongoing transformation of the Arctic’s ice cover.

Scientists from NASA and the University of Washington in Seattle conducted the most comprehensive survey to date using observations from NASA’s Ice, Cloud and land Elevation Satellite, known as ICESat, to make the first basin-wide estimate of the thickness and volume of the Arctic Ocean’s ice cover.

Ron Kwok of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., led the research team, which published its findings July 7 in the Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans.

The Arctic ice cap grows each winter as the sun sets for several months and intense cold ensues. In the summer, wind and ocean currents cause some of the ice naturally to flow out of the Arctic, while much of it melts in place. But not all of the Arctic ice melts each summer; the thicker, older ice is more likely to survive. Seasonal sea ice usually reaches about 2 meters (6 feet) in thickness, while multi-year ice averages 3 meters (9 feet).

Using ICESat measurements, scientists found that overall Arctic sea ice thinned about 0.17 meters (7 inches) a year, for a total of 0.68 meters (2.2 feet) over four winters. The total area covered by the thicker, older “multi-year” ice that has survived one or more summers shrank by 42 percent.

Arctic ice thinned dramatically between 2004 and 2008 | VANCOUVERITE

326199main_2003winter_full.jpg

I'm in the process of building an arc at this very moment because I am certain that the extra water from the melting ice is going to raise the sea level and we'll all be fucked. Get a life... Environmental wackos are out tonight... Beware.

I'm in the process of building an arc at this very moment because I am certain that the extra water from the melting ice is going to raise the sea level and we'll all be fucked. Get a life... Environmental wackos are out tonight... Beware.

The melting arctic ice won't raise the sea level.

The ice in Greenland and Antarctica will.

The melting arctic ice won't raise the sea level.

The ice in Greenland and Antarctica will.

:lol: Still pitching for more taxes and forced product and service sales I see. You love supporting monopolies, just admit it, you only want two rich people to run the world.

We had better stop those volcanoes under the arctic ice.

Grasping at straws?

They must be causing the land based glaciers to melt as well.

:lol::lol::lol:

No, that is caused by the big round fire thing in the sky.

Actually, not really, but I won't offer Chris the real answers normally. Just think of it this way, the world has to balance itself out everytime something goes "unbalanced" ... nature has developed checks and balances that do this. If all the arctic ice melts the water table would also drop drastically. So ... to keep the water table at the right level more water from someplace else has to go into the ocean to raise it, since Ice takes up more space than water.

The ice in the water doesn't change the level at all, The ice floats because it displaces a volume of water which weights as much as the ice.
When the ice melts, it turns into water, that will occupy the same volume.
As for balance the south pole ice caps are growing.
Dont tell Chris.

The ice in the water doesn't change the level at all, The ice floats because it displaces a volume of water which weights as much as the ice.
When the ice melts, it turns into water, that will occupy the same volume.
As for balance the south pole ice caps are growing.
Dont tell Chris.

Actually, it doesn't float on top of water, 75-90% of all ice on water is below the surface, displacing that much of it. So yeah, when it melts the water level should go down, on a global scale it's actually quite a bit, so land mass temps rise a little to melt the ice on there thus keeping the oceanic levels the same. My point though is that Chris is ignoring most of the science and findings just to cherry pick what he wants so he can help force all competition out of business. He's probably on Gore's payroll.

The Ice mass is less dense then an equal volume of water, when the ice melt it returns to the original state .
Density of Ice

Um .... did you take science in school at all? Density isn't volume. Ice has an increased volume, thus why it's less dense and floats near the surface. Volume is what displaces water, density only determines the "order" the matter lies.

Yes I did ,Im not the one who is claiming the water level changes as the ice melts.
A volume of water when it freezes get less dense , the water displaces the excess volume of the ice. When the ice thaws, it return to the more dense state the level remain the same.

Yes I did ,Im not the one who is claiming the water level changes as the ice melts.
A volume of water when it freezes get less dense , the water displaces the excess volume of the ice. When the ice thaws, it return to the more dense state the level remain the same.

Just wow ... rule one of physics, matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. Density is the measure or weight when compared to the measure of volume. So, for an equal amount of liquid to become less dense the volume must increase. That's the highschool explanation, the chemistry explanation is the polarization of the molecules creates empty pockets of space when freezing the H2O. This polarization creates a crystalline formation of the molecules. When in liquid form the molecules are able to "overlap" and fill in space, when in frozen state they go into a specific pattern, increasing the size of the mass.

Volume displaces the water by the difference when ice forms in liquid H2O because of this effect. Okay, science lesson over, if you want to actually learn about it I recommend more than Google can offer, there are chemistry books in your local bookstore, I recommend you buy one and read it.

Forum List

Back