Archbishop of Canterbury admits: This makes me doubt the existence of God

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Archbishop of Canterbury admits: This makes me doubt the existence of God

The Asian tsunami disaster should make all Christians question the existence of God, Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, writes in The Telegraph today.
This is clearly a sign of the "great falling away or the apostasy of the church" as prophesied in the Bible. There is no way a man of "faith" can say this if he is a TRUE believer. He is nothing but a charlatan!

I think that many of us come to crisis points in our lives when we doubt the existence of God, or our continued faith in Him. But for an Anglican archbishop to publicly state his doubt about God's existence is enough to cause me to lose faith (no pun intended) in his leadership abilities. He does, however, state that Christians should engage with the world about our faith.

gop_jeff said:
I think that many of us come to crisis points in our lives when we doubt the existence of God, or our continued faith in Him. But for an Anglican archbishop to publicly state his doubt about God's existence is enough to cause me to lose faith (no pun intended) in his leadership abilities. He does, however, state that Christians should engage with the world about our faith.

True, but his statement tells me he has NO FAITH. So why should anybody listen to him?

dilloduck said:
Because he's a human who falls short like the rest of us?

We are not talking about an everyday priest. We are talking about the Archbishop. His comments were way out of line in my opinion. The Bible speaks of many judgements, trials and tribulations so if he truly knows Christ and truly knows the Bible as he should as an Archbishop, then there is no way he could say these things. This IJMHO, but it is also what I strongly believe.

Furthermore, it is times like this when the leadership of the Church needs to be strong.

This comment is totally out of whack. He should be reassuring Christians to maintain their faith, not encouraging them to question it.
The Asian tsunami disaster should make all Christians question the existence of God
No it shouldn't.

Free, I agree that we should hold our leaders to a higher standard. If I were an Anglican, I would be church shopping right now. I don't agree, though, that every leader should be 100% flawless.

gop_jeff said:
Free, I agree that we should hold our leaders to a higher standard. If I were an Anglican, I would be church shopping right now. I don't agree, though, that every leader should be 100% flawless.

Again, this guy is the ARCHBISHOP and not the local Parish Priest. That is all I am getting at. That would be like the Pope coming out and openly questioning the existence of G-d. Again, JMHO.

gop_jeff said:
You guys are tough--maybe he was simply trying to describe how terribly the disaster hit him personally.

I tend to agree with Free..however,
Dr Williams concludes that, faced with such a terrible challenge to their faith, Christians must focus on "passionate engagement with the lives that are left".
maybe he's just a realist. I don't think that changes his faith.
But I didn't hear the Archbishop speak..this is an news article.

Mr. P said:
I tend to agree with Free..however,

maybe he's just a realist. I don't think that changes his faith.
But I didn't hear the Archbishop speak..this is an news article.

I could understand if he said, "it is understandable if...." but he said, "Christians should...." that is what I have an issue with.

freeandfun1 said:
I could understand if he said, "it is understandable if...." but he said, "Christians should...." that is what I have an issue with.
I understand...I won't defend the guy.
It may have just been a poor choice of words, or maybe he believes what he said, if so, he's in the wrong position.
And that's from someone that is not a practicing Catholic.

Mr. P said:
I understand...I won't defend the guy.
It may have just been a poor choice of words, or maybe he believes what he said, if so, he's in the wrong position.
And that's from someone that is not a practicing Catholic.

I just took it sorta like Christians should feel ok doing a "gut check" at times like these. Questioning the depth and nature of one's faith doesn't seem like such a bad idea from time to time anyway. JMHO too

I think it just is a perfect example of protestant clerics in Western Europe.

When I had my confirmation they taught stuff like that there is no devil
and the bible is just an example for things. It sounded close enough
to Atheism to me. True faith like in most of the US is surly on a decline
in Europe. Secularism has eroded the believe in God and christian values
are defined via humanism.

So I am not surprised by this statement.

dilloduck said:
I just took it sorta like Christians should feel ok doing a "gut check" at times like these. Questioning the depth and nature of one's faith doesn't seem like such a bad idea from time to time anyway. JMHO too

I might accept your reasoning if someone other that this particular person had made the statement. Fact is that the Archbishop is a fruitloop. During a conference with Colin Powell, he accused us of going into Iraq to gain territory. That's when Powell told this ass that we could have seized territory in Europe after WWII. But the only territory we have ever requested was just enough to bury our dead. That pretty well shut the old bird up.

He didn't say it gave him personal doubts. He said it as a directive to other christians "This SHOULD ...". He is clearly not a true man of faith. This is sad.

Forum List

Back