archaeology

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terry, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    So I know ZIP about this but I was wondering how far one would probably have to dig to find things around the 1600's? Would you have to dig 1,2, 3 or 12 feet? How do you go about finding a spot etc.

Why you ask? Well I found that this lady that lives less then a mile from me her farm has been excavated and found a possible location to Chief Powhatan actual place he lived.

I figured why not look while I'm out doing some of my yard work. I mean my house is in a primo spot if I was an Indian and required a place for safety, food, and water.Then again, probably I should just leave it alone but I often wondered about my land.
    :lol:

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    depends on the land you are on, ask your local museum curator, they can give you tips on how NOT to ruin what you are looking for in trying to find it too.

3. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    I guess I could contact the lady that found items on her land. I went to her website she has and it shows a few pictures. She was actually just doing some planting of some flowers and she came upon some clay broken pots. She knew enough and started to carefully sift through it then she contacted agency's. A big FIND.

Before I call anyone and look like a complete nut, I figured I would look like a complete nut here. lol

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    It all depends. Different soils, different geological activity, flooding, disruption in the earth. People find artifacts just laying on the surface sometimes. Sometimes they find them in creeks.

Couple of things...if you find artifacts, they won't belong to you...tribal authorities will come in and take them. Also, they can see to it that you aren't allowed to do anything with your land...i.e., no building, no digging, nothing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,855
    My brother found a British cannonball in our back yard in the Bronx less than one foot under the surface.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    Well damn! Soils is Clay, The agency's that came to the ladies house stated they had to get permission to even dig to investigate further on her land. I think if I were to find things worth of great value or importance then I guess I would be facing that stuff, Allie.

I just want to investigate my land a little and was hoping someone knew a few little things I could do in my yard to check it out.

7. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    Oh cool, what happened to it after he dug it up?

8. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072
    Just be careful that you don't disturb any Indian bones.:eek:

9. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,855
    It's at my parents house in a case. It's a genuine Revolutionary War cannonball from when the British marched from Throgs Neck.

We should have dug more put my Dad wanted to pour concrete for the base for the above ground pool

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I was raised not to far from where you live - Being raised in Suffolk right beside the Great Dismal Swamp, it was a primo place to search for arrowheads. After a rain I would walk the fields around my house and on the farm I was living on I would find a great many arrowheads, bits of pottery and the like. Now and then I would even find a mini-ball from the Civil War. It was great fun to hunt for arrowheads. When I joined the Navy, I had a cigar box full of really nice arrowheads. Seems like my mother gave them all away to a cousin of mine after I left home and I never saw them again. If you say your neighbor found a site that was used by Chief Powhatan, then it might be likey there will be some sort of artifacts on your property. I would suspect arrowheads from hunting parties or the like. Happy hunting. A good place to start, if there is one on your property would be beside of a creek or old creek bed.