Archaeologist digging for clues to Camp Security

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The dirt: While uncovering interesting artifacts is always exciting, Warfel said his primary focus will be the dirt itself.

Warfel hopes to find evidence of the stockade — the fence surrounding the camp — by uncovering and researching variances and disturbances in the soil.

"There should be a very specific footprint for this stockade," Warfel said. "I'm looking for a soil stain," the result of a post from the stockade buried about a foot deep into the ground.

The subsoil is distinctly lighter than the top layer, Warfel said, pointing to darker spots at the bottom of the foot-deep trench, all of which will be photographed and recorded.

"I suspect these are from a tractor," he said, adding that rodents and roots could also cause change in soil color. "We won't know for sure until we expose and excavate the stained area."

A stain in the soil from the stockaded would provide a firm basis for the claims that the camp was in fact there, Warfel said.

"Once we get onto that we can follow it and really dig in, so to speak," he said.
Archaeologist digging for clues to Camp Security - York Dispatch

This is pretty cool too. I would kill to be able to recognize artifacts within a 22 month period.

Forum List

Back