Archaelogy and the Bible

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
Why? I believe the Bible, but why on earth are we wasting so much time citing archaelogy as though that somehow proves everything the Bible true?

How on earth can archaelogy prove the reality of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ? Yet, always I hear "Archaelogy proves the Bible". No it doesn't. Is it any wonder athiests don't take you seriously when you try to claim that?

The best argument for the resurrection is the witness of the Apostles who saw Christ and the Holy Spirit. It's our own personal witnesses. Why waste our time trying to prove the Spiritual with physical evidence?

It's a misdirection. That's all it is. The adversary is trying to distract you into arguing useless information so that you neglect what's really important.

I wanted to rant, thanks for listening.

One wonders how one can insist there's no proof that the bible is true, that it's a collection of fairy tales...while at the same time whining that we depend too much upon science when the stories are backed up?

???

One wonders how one can insist there's no proof that the bible is true, that it's a collection of fairy tales...while at the same time whining that we depend too much upon science when the stories are backed up?

???

Not sure what it has to do with my rant, but interesting question.

???

Not sure what it has to do with my rant, but interesting question.

Here's the thing, people who look to prove the book is true by altering or reading more into archeology are those with weak faith, they need the proof for it as much as atheists need the proof against it. In reality archeology can not really prove or disprove any story, anthropology however can prove some, but then that's based on other stories which are also written by the same type of people. The only things that are truth based on archeology is whether a city existed in a place they say it is, which however proves little about that city and why it's not there anymore, thus the story itself is still not proven. There are some instances in which natural events can be misconstrued to match myth and legend very easily, because the causes of these events requires more study from other areas of science to understand fully, so they can be made to match the myths by ignoring research done by other fields.

A great example comes from the myth of the great serpent in ancient Egyptian, where the serpent was able to heal any damage done to it. There was a treasure in which the serpent selfishly guarded, one that held many answers to life and death. The pharoah at the time sent in his greatest warrior but all were caught and consumed by the serpent, none were able to draw near the chest. Then one man who was not a great warrior said he could get it, as long as he could take from the chest what he wanted first. The pharoah agreed to this doubting the man could get any closer. The man then forged armor with blades sprouting from every angle, every joint. He went in and every time the serpent tried to wrap or swallow the man the armor tore the serpent asunder ... of course he got the chest, and took from it the one great book of truth as he was promised, leaving only gold and gems for the pharoah, of which the pharoah had no use for. the morale was to think before acting. The river bed in which the tale takes place is there, there is also a "serpent pit" in the spot where the chest was suppose to be, and the city where the ancient pharoah mentioned does exist, as does the tomb for that same pharoah. Everything is there, so according to those who rationalize it, it is fact. But in reality we know it is just a story to teach a lesson. Oh, and they found the armor to.

Well.......if a person was to watch something other than American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, you might learn a thing or two.......

Lots of people have said that there is no "real" archaeological proof of Jesus. Well, there was a coin discovered a couple of years ago when they were expanding a prison, they found an old church with Christian symbols. Inside the church, they found a coin with the likeness and name of Yeshua on it.

Back in those days, they didn't put your likeness on coins unless you were famous or an emperor, so, proof 1.

Last week I was watching the Naked Archaeologist, and he showed where they had discovered (recently in the past year or so), the Pool of Salome, which is where Yeshua healed people. Proof 2.

Interestingly enough, ever since the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, there have been many things that have been found again, which are slowly proving the Bible.

Ok so I walk up to you and say your invisible god is false. BUT my invisible god is the true god. So the question is who's invisible god is the real one NOT that either one is invisible..Right?

Why is it that seemingly intelligent people think like this. Astoundingly mind numbing.

my favorite piece of "evidence" is how some dogma junkies insist that the great flood carved out the grand canyon.

Ok so I walk up to you and say your invisible god is false. BUT my invisible god is the true god. So the question is who's invisible god is the real one NOT that either one is invisible..Right?

Why is it that seemingly intelligent people think like this. Astoundingly mind numbing.

What makes you think your invisible God and my invisible God aren't the same God?

my favorite piece of "evidence" is how some dogma junkies insist that the great flood carved out the grand canyon.

Well see.......there's your problem.........they don't understand geology, science, or anything that is outside the Bible, so therefore, they make shit up.

But, at the same time, I firmly believe what Einstein said...........

"Theology without science is crippled, and science without theology is blind".

We should use BOTH sources and see where they meet, and expand from there.

The Viking believed in Oden who could throw lightening bolts.

I've seen lightening ergo everything the Vikings believed MUST BE TRUE.

What makes you think your invisible God and my invisible God aren't the same God?

While it wasn't you specifically, many people have offered that argument to the christians and muslims as a token of peace, and they were yelled at instead. I have always had the belief that whatever is in charge won't care how you worship, what names you use, etc. only to be called satanic or blasphemous for stating such things. It would be nice if more people thought the way you did, at least it would calm a lot of wars.

Well.......if a person was to watch something other than American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, you might learn a thing or two.......

Lots of people have said that there is no "real" archaeological proof of Jesus. Well, there was a coin discovered a couple of years ago when they were expanding a prison, they found an old church with Christian symbols. Inside the church, they found a coin with the likeness and name of Yeshua on it.

Back in those days, they didn't put your likeness on coins unless you were famous or an emperor, so, proof 1.

Last week I was watching the Naked Archaeologist, and he showed where they had discovered (recently in the past year or so), the Pool of Salome, which is where Yeshua healed people. Proof 2.

Interestingly enough, ever since the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, there have been many things that have been found again, which are slowly proving the Bible.

Really ... is that all you have? Seriously? I hate pop culture completely and watch TV for entertainment only, if you watch it for fact of any sort then you are the fool, no matter what you watch. I use books, you know, those things which are more likely to contain facts and highly detailed explanations. First, the likeness you speak of was not fact, it was taken FROM the coin not the other way around. It was an ancient artists rendition of the face. The Dead Sea scrolls don't even mention much about the bible. Sensationalism, that's all it is, that's all any TV program is. Nature had one really entertaining show once, it was what if dragons were real, quite entertaining, but all sensationalism like all TV.

Really ... is that all you have? Seriously? I hate pop culture completely and watch TV for entertainment only, if you watch it for fact of any sort then you are the fool, no matter what you watch. I use books, you know, those things which are more likely to contain facts and highly detailed explanations. First, the likeness you speak of was not fact, it was taken FROM the coin not the other way around. It was an ancient artists rendition of the face. The Dead Sea scrolls don't even mention much about the bible. Sensationalism, that's all it is, that's all any TV program is. Nature had one really entertaining show once, it was what if dragons were real, quite entertaining, but all sensationalism like all TV.

You've been watching the wrong shows. I loved the discovery channel and the history channel and such before I canceled our Dish Network. Lots of interesting, informative documentary.

You've been watching the wrong shows. I loved the discovery channel and the history channel and such before I canceled our Dish Network. Lots of interesting, informative documentary.

If you read the information their shows were based on you'd understand much more about why it's just sensationalism.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, Avatar.

Archeology does not prove the Bible, but certain archeological finds can certainly be evidence of the accuracy of the Bible. For instance, the finding of certain manuscripts that predate a certain event might prove the truth of the Bible. While such finds do not prove the Bible, they can help to shed light on parts of the Bible.

All in all, one must accept the Word of God in its entirety on faith, but having concrete evidence can't hurt.

Darwin's Theory of Evolution wasn't developed by him saying something like, "I think that species evolve into different species so that has to be what happened". Darwin saw evidence in the structures of differing species and surmised based on that evidence that the laws of nature must provide for species to change in order to survive.

Archeological discoveries don't make the Bible true. They can, however, answer questions about the accuracy of the Bible just as they can prove any other historical facts.

Immie

THAT'S not the freakin!!!!! POINT!!!! I don't believe in invisible freakin gods or any other of your stupid made up bull shyte.

BUT your avatar is great. I laughed out loud when I saw it. It is priceless. See that's what troubles me the most. You obviously have a mind. Why give up on yourself and waste your precious ONE CHANCE.. one life.. on this bullshit.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, Avatar.

Archeology does not prove the Bible, but certain archeological finds can certainly be evidence of the accuracy of the Bible. For instance, the finding of certain manuscripts that predate a certain event might prove the truth of the Bible. While such finds do not prove the Bible, they can help to shed light on parts of the Bible.

All in all, one must accept the Word of God in its entirety on faith, but having concrete evidence can't hurt.

Darwin's Theory of Evolution wasn't developed by him saying something like, "I think that species evolve into different species so that has to be what happened". Darwin saw evidence in the structures of differing species and surmised based on that evidence that the laws of nature must provide for species to change in order to survive.

Archeological discoveries don't make the Bible true. They can, however, answer questions about the accuracy of the Bible just as they can prove any other historical facts.

Immie

My point is simple. Im tired of people saying the Bible is proven true because of archaelogy. Simply because scientists find cities that correspond with the text and find earlier texts are similiar to what we have doesnt mean the message is accurate. It doesnt prove the miracles. It certainly doesnt prove the reality of the resurrection. It's not even really great evidence because we would expect an ancient text to reference existing cities and peoples at the time.

Im not saying all this stuff doesnt provide good context for what we find in the Bible. Im all for seeking knowledge for knowledge sake. But these arguments arent going to convince non-believers. The only way they can learn is by learning it the same way Peter did. It has to be revealed to them by the Father.

It's like we tie our biggest piece of evidence, the Holy Spirit, behind our back and try to prove things to people on their terms rather than bringing them to know the things of God on His terms.

Im just sick of this "The Bible is true because of archaelogy" argument. Or this false expectation that archaelogy should prove it true or false. Paul didn't go around telling people to believe in Christ because of archaelogy. He went and told them that He saw the living Christ and taught them with the power of the Holy Ghost.

We need to let go of the flesh and trust the Spirit.

That's my point.

THAT'S not the freakin!!!!! POINT!!!! I don't believe in invisible freakin gods or any other of your stupid made up bull shyte.

BUT your avatar is great. I laughed out loud when I saw it. It is priceless. See that's what troubles me the most. You obviously have a mind. Why give up on yourself and waste your precious ONE CHANCE.. one life.. on this bullshit.

What exactly are we (Christians) "giving up". I have a great life and as a Christian don't feel I give up anything. As I have said before, If I am right, I spend eternity with God and if I am wrong, I have lost absolutely nothing!

Christians aren't going to convert many non-believers through pseudo-scientific archaeological coincidences or the supposed power of the holy spirit. I'll convert to Christianity the second a Christian offers a valid and accurate logical proof demonstrating that God is anthropomorphic, that Jesus is God's son, and that the Bible is the word of God. You have my word.

What exactly are we (Christians) "giving up". I have a great life and as a Christian don't feel I give up anything. As I have said before, If I am right, I spend eternity with God and if I am wrong, I have lost absolutely nothing!

Ahh ... but what if you are worshiping the wrong way? Then you do lose something.

Forum List

Back