Arab family denied right to rent home

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Arab family denied right to rent home - The National Newspaper

Nevatim, Israel // The Zakai and Tarabin families should be a picture of happy coexistence across the ethnic divide, a model for others to emulate in Israel.

But Natalie and Weisman Zakai say the past three years – since the Jewish couple offered to rent their home to Bedouin friends, Ahmed and Khalas Tarabin – have been a living hell.

“I have always loved Israel,” said Mrs Zakai, 43. “But to see the depth of the racism of our neighbours has made me question why we live in this country.”

Three of the couple’s six dogs have been mysteriously poisoned; Mrs Zakai’s car has been sprayed with the words ”Arab lover” and the windows smashed; her three children in school are regularly taunted and bullied by other pupils; and a collection of vintage cars in the family’s yard has been set on fire in what police say was an arson attack.

To add to these indignities, the Zakais have spent three years and thousands of dollars battling through the courts against the elected officials of their community of Nevatim, in Israel’s southern Negev desert, who have said they are determined to keep the Tarabins from moving in.

Last week the Zakais’ legal struggle looked like it had run out of steam. The supreme court told the two families the Tarabins should submit to a vetting committee of local officials to assess their suitability – a requirement that has never been made before by the Negev community in the case of a family seeking to rent a home.

Chances for Jews and Arabs to live together – outside of a handful of cities – are all but impossible because Israel’s rural communities are strictly segregated, said Alaa Mahajneh, a lawyer representing the Zakais.

Israel has nationalised 93 per cent of the country’s territory, confining most of its 1.3 million Arab citizens, one-fifth of the population, to 120 or so communities that existed at the time of the state’s creation in 1948.

Meanwhile, more than 700 rural communities, including Nevatim, have remained exclusively Jewish by requiring that anyone who wants to buy a home applies to local vetting committees, which have been used to weed out Arab applicants.

But Mr Mahajneh, from the Adalah legal centre for the Arab minority, noted that legal sanction for such segregation was supposed to have ended a decade ago, when the supreme court backed an Arab couple, the Kaadans, who had been barred by a committee from the community of Katzir in northern Israel.

Although the Kaadans were eventually allowed to move into Katzir, the case has had little wider effect.

In fact, Mr Mahajneh said, the decision in the Zakais’ case suggests “we’re going backwards”. The Kaadans won the right to buy a home in a Jewish community, whereas the Tarabin family were seeking only a short-term rental of the Zakais’s home.

Mrs Zakai said: “If Jews were being denied the right to live somewhere, it would be a scandal, but because our friends are Arabs no one cares.”

“Every family that wants to buy or rent a property must first go through the committee.” Fearful of the implications of the Kaadan ruling, Jewish communities in the Galilee unveiled a new approach to barring Arab applicants last year. They introduced bylaws amounting to loyalty oaths that require applicants to pledge to support “Zionism, Jewish heritage and settlement of the land”.

:disbelief: :eusa_eh:

Ahh the freedom of Israel.
And we support em.

Of course many in the USA support the racism.

Strange considering Jews and Arabs are both semetic people.
It would be like Christians doing the same thing to Jews over here I guess.

Last edited:
notice the silence from the local zionists..

BUT, i'm sure xeno is trying to figure out which muslim nation to blame in order to redirect criticism as I type this.

notice the silence from the local zionists..

BUT, i'm sure xeno is trying to figure out which muslim nation to blame in order to redirect criticism as I type this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZGWQauQOAQ]YouTube - Sound Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel (live sound)[/ame]

I'm not sure if it's Israel's racism or the family's obsequiousness that displeases me more.

We have "the right to rent", never heard of that one.

I imagine that these people will be okay, after all, Sunnis look after their own, after stating that why do Arabs have to seek a place to rent from Jews? I guess Sunnis have forgotten the law of their own culture.

Yes, this reflects problems in the Arab world when the Arabs must seek shelter from Jews.

Why are the Arabs in Israel not offered homes in UAE or Saudi Arabia, these two countries alone have so much wealth they are literally throwing away money. Is the problem greed or some other agenda of the Arabs.

Sad when Arabs are rejected by Arabs and must beg for a home from Jews.

I imagine that these people will be okay, after all, Sunnis look after their own, after stating that why do Arabs have to seek a place to rent from Jews? I guess Sunnis have forgotten the law of their own culture.

Yes, this reflects problems in the Arab world when the Arabs must seek shelter from Jews.

Why are the Arabs in Israel not offered homes in UAE or Saudi Arabia, these two countries alone have so much wealth they are literally throwing away money. Is the problem greed or some other agenda of the Arabs.

It is not that the Native Palestinians are incompetent to build houses. It is that Israel will rarely issue building permits.

It is not that the Native Palestinians are incompetent to build houses. It is that Israel will rarely issue building permits.

Oh, dont mind me if I see the Big Picture, that being within the Arab world the Arabs from Palestine are used as pawns by fellow Arab governments. The only problem in Israel is Arab governments and our appeasement of said governments.

Why is Saudi Arabia not offering the Arabs of Palestine a home, why is not Jordan offering homes to the Arabs in Palestine?

Oh, dont mind me if I see the Big Picture, that being within the Arab world the Arabs from Palestine are used as pawns by fellow Arab governments. The only problem in Israel is Arab governments and our appeasement of said governments.

Why is Saudi Arabia not offering the Arabs of Palestine a home, why is not Jordan offering homes to the Arabs in Palestine?

Why should other countries be involved? Palestinians want to live in Palestine.

You cannot speak for the Arabs.

Why would an Arab not want to move out of Israel, poverty, crime, terrorism, and if I take your word they are also subject to segregation and second class citizenship from the Jews.

No young one, Arabs do not want to live with life sucks, give the people a chance and they would move away from the war and extremism of the Middle East.

Israel is a postage stamp geographically speaking, in California I drive further to get to work than the area occupied by the Arabs in Israel.

To suggest that Arabs would not want to move to a safer, richer, country that offered prosperity is ignorant at best.

Side note, where are atwith providing the source for your population figures of Israel.

You cannot speak for the Arabs.

Why would an Arab not want to move out of Israel, poverty, crime, terrorism, and if I take your word they are also subject to segregation and second class citizenship from the Jews.

No young one, Arabs do not want to live with life sucks, give the people a chance and they would move away from the war and extremism of the Middle East.

Israel is a postage stamp geographically speaking, in California I drive further to get to work than the area occupied by the Arabs in Israel.

To suggest that Arabs would not want to move to a safer, richer, country that offered prosperity is ignorant at best.

Side note, where are atwith providing the source for your population figures of Israel.

Perhaps the Palestinians just want to live in their homeland.

Jews are safer living in places such as Palestine or Iran than in Israel. Should they move?

oh, you mean the big picture where we have housing regulation in the US because white landlords didn't like renting to a bunch of *******? Which, apparently, becomes validated if a ****** doesn't want to rent to another ******. somehow.

but, back to the ole "hey, look over there!" routine instead of admitting that anyone acting this very same way toward a jew would be INSTANTLY denoted as an evil racist bastard..

oh, you mean the big picture where we have housing regulation in the US because white landlords didn't like renting to a bunch of *******? Which, apparently, becomes validated if a ****** doesn't want to rent to another ******. somehow.

but, back to the ole "hey, look over there!" routine instead of admitting that anyone acting this very same way toward a jew would be INSTANTLY denoted as an evil racist bastard..

No I mean the big picture where you are not giving directly to people you refer to as *******, of course my wife falls into that category, if you read enough of my posts you would see our picture together, I will have to add that pic to my public profile because a lot of assholes on these boards call me racist such as you just did.

Too bad we could not speak man to man like in the same room, just the two of us, I am sure we would be great friends.

Anyhow I see your rant as nothing but hatred, your idea as to why blacks had to use public housing where Barack Obama was a state senator has more to say about Obama and the Democrats than me.

Take a look at Detroit, pure Democrat, pure Liberal, and totally destroyed.

To state I am a racist and that I refer to my own children as ******* is about as low as one can go.

What a piece of shit you are. What will I tell my kids about people like you, that your ignorant, that your stupid, should I tell them some people are just bigots. What the fuck do I tell my kids, how do I educate them to deal with a person such as yourself.

I guess I will tell them no matter how old or how weak the other person is its best not to turn your back on them, I will tell them when people are this hateful you cannot trust them, that these type of people will do anything to hurt others. I will have to tell my children that people such as Shogun are a physical danger to their lives so its okay to beat the shit out of them.

Maybe Shogun has a better idea for me, I am at my wits end, how do I raise my kids when people are so quick to say such nasty things about me and my family.

Maybe I misunderstood Shoguns point but I see this type of hatred no different than the hatred that murders blacks.

Forum List

Back