April 4, 1968

Dr. Martin Luther King, Civil Rights Leader famous for his No-Violent Approach To Achieiving Civil Right For African-americans Steps Out Of His Room At The Lorraine Motel (Now The Site of The National Civil Rights Museum) In Memphis, Tennessee And Is Shot and Killed. James Earl Ray at first confesses to the murder, but will later recant that confession and will to the day he dies deny he had any part in the murder of Dr. King.

Dr. King was in Memphis to show his support for and his solidarity with Black Sanitation Workers who had gone on strike. The Workers went out on strike after several of their Black Co-Workers, after being denied the shelter of an office ("******* Ain't Allowed In The Office") were killed after seeking shelter in an used Sanitation Truck during a Thunder Storm In Memphis.

Among the many rights the Sanitations Workers were on Strike for were,

The Right To Collective Bargining.

What happened in Memphis, with the needless deaths of the Black Sanitation Workers is hardly the first time Men and Women have died to achieve the Right To Collective Bargining.

Henry Ford was famous for his use of "Ford Company Police" to break up demonstrations by workers protesting their right to Unionize Ford Motor Company.

Dr. King was in Memphis to support the Rights of Workers and the Right To Collective Bargining.

Something not often remembered, or refered to on this day.

This year it is important to remember what Dr. King Stood For.

He Stood With The Workers. He Stood For Collective Bargining.

i was nine watching tv, i broke the news to my family in the kitchen. a day of tribute, for sure. it's like it was yesterday.

perhaps the greatest speaker of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in 10th grade. My Mother had gone to pick my Dad at work in Pleasanton, at the Camp Parks Job Corps Center.

They had not turned on radio and when they came in the house, they heard what was on the T.V. Dad broke down and cried.

Bobby Kennedy would die just two months later.

My Mom died two months after Senator Kennedy.

And it's a fight we need to carry on. There is so much disinformation going around that is designed to do one thing. Roll back the rights of ALL workers and destroy years of progress.

Forum List

Back