Appropriate Choir Song in Public School?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "A Colorado high school student quit the school choir after an Islamic song containing the lyric "there is no other truth except Allah" found its way into the chorus.

2. James Harper, a senior at Grand Junction High School in Grand Junction, put his objection to singing "Zikr," a song written by Indian composer A.R. Rahman, in an email to Mesa County School District 51 officials.

3. ...I really don’t feel it is appropriate for students in a public high school to be singing an Islamic worship song,” Harper told KREX-TV. "This is worshipping another God, and even worshipping another prophet ... I think there would be a lot of outrage if we made a Muslim choir say Jesus Christ is the only truth."

4. But district spokesman Jeff Kirtland defended the decision to include the Islamic song:
"Choral music is often devoted to religious themes. ... This is not a case where the school is endorsing or promoting any particular religion or other non-educational agenda.

5. ... the choir "is a voluntary, after-school activity." "Students are not required to participate, and receive no academic credit for doing so," he said."
‘There Is No Truth Except Allah’: Colorado Student Quits High School Choir Over Islamic Song - Yahoo! News

6. The song includes the following in Urdu:
The breeze from the Friend has spread wounds like flowers
With blood is watered the rose-garden of the Ahlul Bayt!
The houris themselves bedeck the brides of martyrdom
Like a handsome groom today every youth of the Ahlul Bayt
The blood from the swords served as a sighting of the Eid moon
Thus do they break their fasts today, those fasting from the Ahlul Bayt!
It is Friday and with their lives they are firmly resolved
To lay down their lives, these Princes of the Ahlul Bayt
What joyous bliss is this they experience, from the water o’ the Friend’s sword
Amidst the blood and dust, the thirsty of the Ahlul Bayt?
Heads of the martyrs of love are raised atop lances, spears
God has elevated even higher the status of the Ahlul Bayt!
Translation of "Zikr e Shahadat"by Mawlana Hassan Raza Khan. - Masabih Islamic Forum

786MAWJ, AR Rahman Zikr-e-Allahu

Only songs that say god should be allowed?

So when kids sing Jimmy cracked corn are we to believe they truely dont care?

Or are they signing a song the way its written?

Why the hell are they singing this shit anyway?

What's wrong with just doing "For The Longest Time" in acapella?

Were's the ACLU?

They're busy making sure that church folks can't meet in NYC schools on Sunday.

They don't seem to have a problem with muslim foot baths in public universities either:confused:

The American Civil Liberties Union says the foot bath issue is complex.

"Our policy is to object whenever public funds are spent on any brick-and-mortar component of religion," said Kary Moss, director of the Michigan Civil Liberties Union. "What makes this different, though, is that the foot baths themselves can be used by anyone, don't have any symbolic value and are not stylized in a religious way. They're in a regular restroom, and could be just as useful to a janitor filling up buckets, or someone coming off the basketball court, as to Muslim students."

Then, too, Moss said, the health and safety component is not normally part of religious accommodation cases.

"This came from the maintenance staff, which was worried about the wet floors," she said. "We were also aware that if the university said students could not wash their feet in the sink anymore, that could present a different civil liberties problem, interfering with Muslim students' ability to practice their religion."

Some Muslim students seem bothered by the controversy, saying they might not have considered foot baths worth fighting for.

"I think this was the school's way to try to draw more Muslims, by showing that they were welcoming," said Zahraa Aljebori, a sophomore at Dearborn, who said she never washed her feet in the sink.

Some U.S. universities install foot baths for Muslim students - The New York Times

Just need to be clear that you feel that the value of diversity is served by this particular
song, which includes images hardly of serenity....

spread wounds like flowers
With blood is watered
The blood from the swords
Amidst the blood and dust,

No objections?
You sure?

We sang Hallelujah Chorus in High School...many moons ago..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqaAUr4Zee4]The Hallelujah Chorus- Lyrics- Handel's Messiah - YouTube[/ame]

Shocking, I know.

Though there are no references to blood, wounds, or anything like that....

Funny, kids who even joke about shooting or slicing each other in GRADE SCHOOL (2nd grade) get sent home, there's no tolerance for THAT. I know because my son almost got tossed from his after school program on the school grounds because he pretended to shoot at someone with a tiny lego thing. Less than an inch in size. I was told they had zero tolerance for that sort of thing, and if it happened again he'd have to go.

We sang Hallelujah Chorus in High School...many moons ago..

The Hallelujah Chorus- Lyrics- Handel's Messiah - YouTube

Shocking, I know.

Though there are no references to blood, wounds, or anything like that....

Funny, kids who even joke about shooting or slicing each other in GRADE SCHOOL (2nd grade) get sent home, there's no tolerance for THAT. I know because my son almost got tossed from his after school program on the school grounds because he pretended to shoot at someone with a tiny lego thing. Less than an inch in size. I was told they had zero tolerance for that sort of thing, and if it happened again he'd have to go.

Second Grade Student Suspended for Drawing Stick Figure Firing Gun

Read more: Second Grade Student Suspended for Drawing Stick Figure Firing Gun | Fox News

1. "A Colorado high school student quit the school choir after an Islamic song containing the lyric "there is no other truth except Allah" found its way into the chorus.

2. James Harper, a senior at Grand Junction High School in Grand Junction, put his objection to singing "Zikr," a song written by Indian composer A.R. Rahman, in an email to Mesa County School District 51 officials.

3. ...I really don’t feel it is appropriate for students in a public high school to be singing an Islamic worship song,” Harper told KREX-TV. "This is worshipping another God, and even worshipping another prophet ... I think there would be a lot of outrage if we made a Muslim choir say Jesus Christ is the only truth."

4. But district spokesman Jeff Kirtland defended the decision to include the Islamic song:
"Choral music is often devoted to religious themes. ... This is not a case where the school is endorsing or promoting any particular religion or other non-educational agenda.

5. ... the choir "is a voluntary, after-school activity." "Students are not required to participate, and receive no academic credit for doing so," he said."
‘There Is No Truth Except Allah’: Colorado Student Quits High School Choir Over Islamic Song - Yahoo! News

6. The song includes the following in Urdu:
The breeze from the Friend has spread wounds like flowers
With blood is watered the rose-garden of the Ahlul Bayt!
Like a handsome groom today every youth of the Ahlul Bayt
The blood from the swords served as a sighting of the Eid moon
Thus do they break their fasts today, those fasting from the Ahlul Bayt!
It is Friday and with their lives they are firmly resolved
To lay down their lives, these Princes of the Ahlul Bayt
Amidst the blood and dust, the thirsty of the Ahlul Bayt?
God has elevated even higher the status of the Ahlul Bayt!
Translation of "Zikr e Shahadat"by Mawlana Hassan Raza Khan. - Masabih Islamic Forum

786MAWJ, AR Rahman Zikr-e-Allahu

Those aren't the lyrics to the song in question.

These are:
A. R. Rahman Zikr Lyrics

Just need to be clear that you feel that the value of diversity is served by this particular

With blood is watered

No objections?
You sure?

You're confusing two different songs.

"District spokesman" - overpaid, underworked, tenured for life, guaranteed benefits and retirement.
What the fuck would he care?

Whshy-washy school admin. Typical.

Nevermind the objections of a mere student. Sweep the little bitch under the rug and save face.

With blood is watered

No objections?
You sure?

You're confusing two different songs.

I would be more than happy to respond to some of your interesting posts as soon as you change the disgusting avatar.

Forum List

Back