Applebee's Owner: The Truth About $15 Minimum Wage

Matt recently brought you up to date on how liberals’ minimum wage demands have done severe damage to Seattle's and New York’s businesses. He highlighted a New York Post report revealing that, in the wake of the increased rate to $15 an hour, New York lost a staggering 1,000 restaurants.

Applebee's was one of the businesses that has been especially hard pressed by the minimum wage hike. Zane Tankel, the CEO of Applebee’s New York franchise, explained that his restaurants were forced to fire at least 1,000 employees so far thanks to the liberal policy. He shared the unfortunate news with Fox Business's Stuart Varney on Monday.

Instead of typical servers, the CEO explained that they will soon be replaced by concierges, who merely check on customers from time to time to make them feel "warm and comfortable."

"The model now that we're heading towards where we had one server for three or four tables, we're moving towards one server for ten tables, eliminating about two-thirds of our labor ultimately. But it's because of Cuomo, De Blasio, the liberal agenda."

If Applebee's completely follows through with its concierge service, nearly 2,000 employees will be heading for the exit, Newsbusters explains.

Tankel discussed this same issue with Varney in January, back when he had *only* fired 500 employees.

“We can’t raise prices anymore,” he said at the time, rather candidly, so they had to take drastic measures.

The lost workers, he explained, could be replaced with tablets that are placed on customers’ tables.

"Increasing minimum wage is technology's best friend," Tankel concluded.
We raise the minimum wage, as if that cures poverty. I see these street side beggars . Twenty years ago? Not an issue., I see the HUGE increase in illegal aliens as well , coincidence? Why are we so eager to excuse illegal migrants and then ignore poor needy folks that need jobs? Why the disconnect?

Since minimum wage is $15.00/hr below where it should be (23.50hr), yes. The problem is the 65 to 75 year old's. The peace, live, and rock and roll crowd that for the most part had everything handed to them. They've become the 'I've got mine, so fuck everyone else' crowd.
Ridiculous.

Are you running out of people to blame for your own shortcomings?

Or did I get it right?
No, you didn't get it right ... in fact, you displayed your ignorance for all to see.

We raise the minimum wage, as if that cures poverty. I see these street side beggars . Twenty years ago? Not an issue., I see the HUGE increase in illegal aliens as well , coincidence? Why are we so eager to excuse illegal migrants and then ignore poor needy folks that need jobs? Why the disconnect?

Since minimum wage is $15.00/hr below where it should be (23.50hr), yes. The problem is the 65 to 75 year old's. The peace, live, and rock and roll crowd that for the most part had everything handed to them. They've become the 'I've got mine, so fuck everyone else' crowd.

Since minimum wage is $15.00/hr below where it should be (23.50hr),

You've never provided proof for this claim.
Provide your starting date and Index (CPI, GDP deflator, etc) you're using and I'll show you your error.

Let's use 1970 to today.

I use actual numbers. Purchased a car lately? How about a house? How about a restaurant steak? A pair of Levi 501's? Rent?

Here's an article I posted for you before. I see you didn't read it.....

The Major Problem With CPI And How It Hurts The Economy

Let's use 1970 to today.

I use actual numbers. Purchased a car lately? How about a house? How about a restaurant steak? A pair of Levi 501's? Rent?

Thanks.
Where is the Index that uses only cars, houses, steaks and 501s?
The cars and houses would need to be equivalent, for a more accurate measurement.

Here's an article I posted for you before. I see you didn't read it.....

I read it. And many others like it.
It doesn't help prove your claim, but thanks nonetheless.

I used items that people actually buy.

Why doesn't the article not prove my claim?

I used items that people actually buy.

So does CPI. So does the GDP deflator.
So does PCE.

So which index proves your claim?
Or do we have to base it all on your recollection of 501 jeans?

Why doesn't the article not prove my claim?

To prove your claim, it would have to show prices (economy wide) increased from 1970 such that the MW would have to be $23.50 to maintain your buying power.

Forum List

Back