Apple or IBM. Which is the best computer? I need you all to vote.

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I am thinking about buying a computer. I have narrowed it down to two. IBM or Apple
I need USMB, computer geeks to vote. Then I will make my decision based on your vote tally.

Thank you all,

52ndStreet.

I like my apple computer because it has been flawless for 2 years now. However, I do need to buy a cheap windows computer to run some engineering programs on. Or I can just put windows onto my macbook and have both OS's using bootcamp.

I am thinking about buying a computer. I have narrowed it down to two. IBM or Apple
I need USMB, computer geeks to vote. Then I will make my decision based on your vote tally.

Thank you all,

52ndStreet.

I've had good luck with HP. Is this like the difference between a Ford and a Chevy? The components all come from the same places.

If you want a car payment ... get a Dell.

Home build with Ubuntu (Linux). Don't really like Windows any more and I've never tried a Apple.
Get an AMD mobo and chipset.
You can put together a $2000 + computer for around $550 to $600.

Last edited:
It depends on what you want to do. At one time, Apple had more than 98% of the market but they kept such a tight rein on their technology, that the makers of the 8086 and 8088 decided to license the technology rather than try to compete with Apple. Everybody started building computers. Money rolled in. The 8088 became the 286, then the 386sx, then the 386 then the 486 then the Pentium then duel core and now quad core and beyond. Apple dropped to about 2% of the market, but now I think they are about 4 or 5% of the market (I think).

With so few users, there just isn't that much software out there. So if you know EXACTLY what you want to do and the software exists, then the Apple is fine.

What Apple demonstrates is a company that never learned to compete, only to fill a niche.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on what you want to do. At one time, Apple had more than 98% of the market but they kept such a tight rein on their technology, that the makers of the 8086 and 8088 decided to license the technology rather than try to compete with Apple. Everybody started building computers. Money rolled in. The 8088 became the 286, then the 386sx, then the 386 then the 486 then the Pentium then duel core and now quad core and beyond. Apple dropped to about 2% of the market, but now I think they are about 4 or 5% of the market (I think).

With so few users, there just isn't that much software out there. So if you know EXACTLY what you want to do and the software exists, then the Apple is fine.

What Apple demonstrates is a company that never learned to compete, only to fill a niche.

You are too much of an idiot to respond, seriously. The only surprise is that you didn't pull out the bullshit line about how Apple is best for graphics.

Last edited:

You are too much of an idiot to respond, seriously. The only surprise is that you didn't pull out the bullshit line about how Apple is best for graphics.

I can't believe I'm doing this but the only reason I am defending rdean here is he did not make this political and in fact his numbers are correct. Another interesting factoid, the vast majority of graphics people I know (and I know quite a few) use Apple products, those that don't generally can't afford them or build their own. Uuuummmmm........

Last edited:
I know that Apple used to be best for audio and video production. ProTools was initially developed as an Apple based application.

But I'm pretty sure that they're about equal now in that regard.

I have a lenovo. It is in the shop again. For the third time.

I have two apples. One was in the shop because it got something spilled on the keyboard.

Apples are well designed, function without problems and just are cool.

Wintells are perpetual wells of grief.
But windows boxes are cheap. And Macs are way expensive. And sometimes, when you buy cheap, you end up paying three times as much in the end.

Apples are more expensive for the same thing.
Right now you can get a basic Dell laptop at Verizon for a very good price, I would look into that if you don't need all the extras.

I can't believe I'm doing this but the only reason I am defending rdean here is he did not make this political and in fact his numbers are correct. Another interesting factoid, the vast majority of graphics people I know (and I know quite a few) use Apple products, those that don't generally can't afford them or build their own. Uuuummmmm........

His last line is what was so pathetic about his post. Apple isn't trying to compete with cheap junk that runs Windows, never been what they have wanted. If they wanted to do that they would sell their OS to any ass wipe company that wants to throw together a computer that will work for a day. To compare the Apple market share with all the other computers companies' market share together is just stupid. Apple not only design and produce the hardware, they design the Operating System to run on their hardware......... everyone else produces hardware to run Windows, nobody else does what Apple does, there is no comparison.

Right now you can get a basic Dell laptop at Verizon for a very good price, I would look into that if you don't need all the extras.

Yea, you can use anything to play solitaire on. Why not by a computer from a cell phone shop?

His last line is what was so pathetic about his post. Apple isn't trying to compete with cheap junk that runs Windows, never been what they have wanted. If they wanted to do that they would sell their OS to any ass wipe company that wants to throw together a computer that will work for a day. To compare the Apple market share with all the other computers companies' market share together is just stupid. Apple not only design and produce the hardware, they design the Operating System to run on their hardware......... everyone else produces hardware to run Windows, nobody else does what Apple does, there is no comparison.

That's whats called a 'niche'.

Started out with PCs. Won't ever go back from the Mac. Apple rules and is cheaper in the long run.

I have two Dells and I can get you more for relatively low cost if you don't mind non-upgradeable junk. Or for a few hundred more you can get a real computer built with what you want on it for less than half the cost of retail and it's fully upgradeable, again cutting your outlay in the future. Why anyone wants to buy OEMs these days is beyond me.

That's whats called a 'niche'.

I know what a niche is and rdick's use of it was meant to demean Apple as a company. Apples are used for the same things any other computer is used for, their users are just a lot more happy with their equipment. Apple is one of the most successful companies in the world producing computers that others can only copy. The other manufacturers are a joke, they don't even try to hide how they plagiarize Apple's work. The copies of the iMac, the iPhone, the Operating System.......... it's truly pathetic. Market share is an even bigger joke, who gives a shit about market share when you have billions in working capital.

Porsche has a smaller market share than all other cars combined, they couldn't give a shit either. They will just keep putting out one of the finest vehicles ever designed, no compromises, no apologies. If you don't have the money for excellence, buy a Chevy.

Apple sucks and you'll regret buying one. Don't listen to the Justin Long's on this thread. If you want compatibility then go with a pc. If you want three page wizards and a bloated sense of smarmy, trust fund baby entitlement then go with a mac. Not only will you pay more for features that cost less in a pc but you'll be stuck with literally the betamax of personal computing and the stellar fractional market share that comes with it.

oh.. and go ahead and treat yourself with Windows 7.

I would post a link that shows how win7 has neutered the latest mac OS but.... far be it for me to get Justin Long all whipped up into emo mode.

Apple sucks and you'll regret buying one. Don't listen to the Justin Long's on this thread. If you want compatibility then go with a pc. If you want three page wizards and a bloated sense of smarmy, trust fund baby entitlement then go with a mac. Not only will you pay more for features that cost less in a pc but you'll be stuck with literally the betamax of personal computing and the stellar fractional market share that comes with it.

oh.. and go ahead and treat yourself with Windows 7.

I would post a link that shows how win7 has neutered the latest mac OS but.... far be it for me to get Justin Long all whipped up into emo mode.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: John Hodgman speaks.:razz:

New Topics

Forum List

Back