Apple IPAD

I am leaning toward purchasing it.

Any other thoughts about the device?

I can't imagine a single reason why this device is needed.

Much of our economy is based on unneeded products.

That argument goes far beyond just tech gadgets, and could probably be used throughout our history.

What is "needed" is of course subjective.

Btw Cmike, nice avatar. That wasn't the exact image on a discover card I had a long time ago, or anything :rolleyes:

Come on, put the israeli flag up. You know you want to.

You should get the IPAD. You probably need a Fresh IPAD.

Hell I still use my cell phone as simply that, a phone despite all the bells and whistles on it. Why do I want something it takes a 10 year old to show me how it works?
Besides, despite my techie deficiencies, I still have issues in other areas.

trouble-with-fractions_320x260.jpg

I bought it. It looks like a really cool toy.

Oh boy. Hope you enjoy it.

This is sums up why I won't be buying on anytime soon:

Wal-Martization of the software channel
And let's look at the iStore. For a company whose CEO professes a hatred of DRM, Apple sure has made DRM its alpha and omega. Having gotten into business with the two industries that most believe that you shouldn't be able to modify your hardware, load your own software on it, write software for it, override instructions given to it by the mothership (the entertainment industry and the phone companies), Apple has defined its business around these principles. It uses DRM to control what can run on your devices, which means that Apple's customers can't take their "iContent" with them to competing devices, and Apple developers can't sell on their own terms.

The iStore lock-in doesn't make life better for Apple's customers or Apple's developers. As an adult, I want to be able to choose whose stuff I buy and whom I trust to evaluate that stuff. I don't want my universe of apps constrained to the stuff that the Cupertino Politburo decides to allow for its platform. And as a copyright holder and creator, I don't want a single, Wal-Mart-like channel that controls access to my audience and dictates what is and is not acceptable material for me to create. The last time I posted about this, we got a string of apologies for Apple's abusive contractual terms for developers, but the best one was, "Did you think that access to a platform where you can make a fortune would come without strings attached?" I read it in Don Corleone's voice and it sounded just right. Of course I believe in a market where competition can take place without bending my knee to a company that has erected a drawbridge between me and my customers!

Why I won't buy an iPad (and think you shouldn't, either) - Boing Boing

If the ipad ran on OSX and I could get apps from places other than itunes, I'd be interested. But as it is captive device, I'll opt out for now.

Yup.

You are such a douche bag.

This is a thread about a technological subject, however, just about anything brings you skinheads out.

Yup.

You are such a douche bag.

This is a thead about a technological subject, however, just about anything brings you skinheads out.

Yeah..

White pride world wide...and stuff...:rolleyes:

Oh boy. Hope you enjoy it.

This is sums up why I won't be buying on anytime soon:

Wal-Martization of the software channel
And let's look at the iStore. For a company whose CEO professes a hatred of DRM, Apple sure has made DRM its alpha and omega. Having gotten into business with the two industries that most believe that you shouldn't be able to modify your hardware, load your own software on it, write software for it, override instructions given to it by the mothership (the entertainment industry and the phone companies), Apple has defined its business around these principles. It uses DRM to control what can run on your devices, which means that Apple's customers can't take their "iContent" with them to competing devices, and Apple developers can't sell on their own terms.

The iStore lock-in doesn't make life better for Apple's customers or Apple's developers. As an adult, I want to be able to choose whose stuff I buy and whom I trust to evaluate that stuff. I don't want my universe of apps constrained to the stuff that the Cupertino Politburo decides to allow for its platform. And as a copyright holder and creator, I don't want a single, Wal-Mart-like channel that controls access to my audience and dictates what is and is not acceptable material for me to create. The last time I posted about this, we got a string of apologies for Apple's abusive contractual terms for developers, but the best one was, "Did you think that access to a platform where you can make a fortune would come without strings attached?" I read it in Don Corleone's voice and it sounded just right. Of course I believe in a market where competition can take place without bending my knee to a company that has erected a drawbridge between me and my customers!

Why I won't buy an iPad (and think you shouldn't, either) - Boing Boing

If the ipad ran on OSX and I could get apps from places other than itunes, I'd be interested. But as it is captive device, I'll opt out for now.

Actually you can. Most of the downloads are from 3rd parties.

Apple - Downloads

Can you download apps from anywhere other than an Apple site?

New Topics

Forum List

Back