Apparently our social safety net is working just fine

hey bones,

I don't know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but employees don't pay into unemployment, only employers. ;)

I believe the employer picks up the first 26 weeks. After that its the taxpayers of America.

Its oh so very easy to spend someone elses money.

I know a guy in his early twenties who recently got fired from his job managing a fastfood establishment. I'm not sure about the particulars of the firing. But what I do know is that he's now collecting $380/wk in unemployment, his health insurance is being picked up by the state, and they're also going to pay for him to go back to school.

What a country! :woohoo:

He sounds like a bum if you ask me.

He's actually not a bum at all. And if I'm to believe his account of the firing, the justification was indeed quite dubious. In fact, his boss was adamantly opposed to him getting let go, and even wrote him a letter of recommendation. But he was overruled by the corporate lackey who paid a surprise visit to the store and found a worker who wasn't putting his chopped onions back in the cooler.

What gets me is that left to fend for himself, he would probably already have a new job by now. But now he has no incentive to. I certainly can't blame him for opting to collect the dole and go back to school at no cost to him.

I know a guy in his early twenties who recently got fired from his job managing a fastfood establishment. I'm not sure about the particulars of the firing. But what I do know is that he's now collecting $380/wk in unemployment, his health insurance is being picked up by the state, and they're also going to pay for him to go back to school.

He sounds like a bum if you ask me.

Bum = Obama supporter.

Wow, you live in an awful generous state. You should take up your concerns with state elected officials who determine Medicaid and training program eligibility.

Choosing to go to school sans student loan debt = slacker? Color me surprised!

Nothing was said about about a student loan or a debt. It was stated his education would be FREE. But keep building your strawmen!

Getting an education these days is against the republican agenda. Go ahead and ask me what legislation has done in my state for those who want to go to school.

Getting an education these days is against the republican agenda. Go ahead and ask me what legislation has done in my state for those who want to go to school.

Dear Mr. Photonic;

What legislation has been passed in your state to advance secondary education?

Sincerely;

Boop

Dear Mr. Photonic;

What legislation has been passed in your state to advance secondary education?

Sincerely;

Boop

They cut 900 million dollars from the education system of California. Rates for universities have triples, thousands of teachers are losing their jobs, classes deemed "unnecessary" have been cut completely. Most schools have cut their programs to assist transition to College/Universities. It's nearly impossible to get fee waivers for those that can't afford school.

Enrollment in college is down by large amounts, and universities can't support nearly as many students as they could, it's a great way to destroy the future of this country.
You should NEVER cut education. That should be the absolute last thing on the mind of ANYONE when it comes to cutting costs. If anything education should be shored up in times of hardship.

Don't use the education system like a fucking bank.

Forum List

Back