Apparently our social safety net is working just fine

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I know a guy in his early twenties who recently got fired from his job managing a fastfood establishment. I'm not sure about the particulars of the firing. But what I do know is that he's now collecting $380/wk in unemployment, his health insurance is being picked up by the state, and they're also going to pay for him to go back to school.

What a country! :woohoo:

he and his employer paid into the unemployment issue.....not sure how the health care is being paid but the retraining programs are paying for the education....most likely...

what is wrong with him collecting from a fund he has paid into?

are you against people keeping health care?

are you against self betterment?

are you a republican?

Paying for him to go back to school or giving him a loan?

*** Not taking the bait all the way *** :thup:

he and his employer paid into the unemployment issue.....not sure how the health care is being paid but the retraining programs are paying for the education....most likely...

are you a republican?

Employees do not pay into unemployment. Only employers.

• Banned
Paying for him to go back to school or giving him a loan?

*** Not taking the bait all the way *** :thup:

The way I heard it, they're paying for it.

Bear in mind he does live in New Jersey. Perhaps chanel can opine on this one.

:doubt:

You don't get unemployment if you're fired.

That usually depends what you are fired for.
It is extremely rare to get unemployment if you are fired. It would have to be an unjustified firing, for instance fired because of your race or religion.

Can You Get Unemployment If You Get Fired?

Since this is a manifold story I doubt the truth of it. I also doubt that his school is being paid for. He already has management experience and doesn't need to be retrained for another management position.

are you a republican?

An employee does not pay anything into unemployment insurance.

Employers pay a state tax for each employee. The money pays for all those state-issued unemployment checks.

Employers also pay a per-employee federal tax, which funds administrative costs of implementing the system.

:doubt:

You don't get unemployment if you're fired.

That usually depends what you are fired for.
It is extremely rare to get unemployment if you are fired. It would have to be an unjustified firing, for instance fired because of your race or religion.

Can You Get Unemployment If You Get Fired?

Since this is a manifold story I doubt the truth of it. I also doubt that his school is being paid for. He already has management experience and doesn't need to be retrained for another management position.

:lol:

You're quite a thick idiot sometimes.

In the real world, people get 'fired' all the time and collect unemployment. Usually because the fired employee tells the unemployment office it wasn't for cause and the employer doesn't dispute it, which is exactly what happened in this case.

I know a guy in his early twenties who recently got fired from his job managing a fastfood establishment. I'm not sure about the particulars of the firing. But what I do know is that he's now collecting $380/wk in unemployment, his health insurance is being picked up by the state, and they're also going to pay for him to go back to school.

He sounds like a bum if you ask me.

are you a republican?

Employees do not pay into unemployment, only employers.

are you a republican?
You forgot one: Is the employee Black?

hey bones,

I don't know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but employees don't pay into unemployment, only employers. ;)

He sounds like a bum if you ask me.
C'mon....c'mon.....you're (only) assuming he's Black.

You don't know that, for sure.​

Forum List

Back