Apparently, Mattis Is Making Lots Of Friends…In The Pentagon Laundry Room

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
According to this article, the term “Mad Dog” was made up by a journalist and not the men he served with. His real and preferred call sign is CHAOS which stands for Colonel Has An Outstanding Solution.

When I go down to get my laundry in the basement, I factor in ten extra minutes every trip just so I can talk with people. Ya know, they see me coming down the hallway and want to ask something, they should be able to. We work just like a family.”

Read more @ Apparently, Mattis Is Making Lots Of Friends…In The Pentagon Laundry Room

Hey, when I was in the military, I took time to talk to all the people who worked in the service jobs. Not only did it get me better service, but sometimes it got me other things as well. Best person to be friends with on the ship? The night time baker, or the Wardroom cook, because both will hook you up with chow after hours.

He's just a smart man who knows that taking a bit of extra time to be nice to someone pays off in the long run.

And, although I learned how to do that in the military, it has carried over with me into civilian life and still serves me well. There is a little Mexican place that I like to get food from, mainly because they have some of the best chow that I've ever had, and every time I go in there, I tell them thank you for cooking my dinner for me and then I tell them how great their chow is. After about my 4th visit, I noticed that the boxes my taco plates came in were getting heavier, and now, when I go there, my tacos are ALWAYS overstuffed, as well as there is a bit extra beans and rice.

Hey, when I was in the military, I took time to talk to all the people who worked in the service jobs. Not only did it get me better service, but sometimes it got me other things as well. Best person to be friends with on the ship? The night time baker, or the Wardroom cook, because both will hook you up with chow after hours.

He's just a smart man who knows that taking a bit of extra time to be nice to someone pays off in the long run.

And, although I learned how to do that in the military, it has carried over with me into civilian life and still serves me well. There is a little Mexican place that I like to get food from, mainly because they have some of the best chow that I've ever had, and every time I go in there, I tell them thank you for cooking my dinner for me and then I tell them how great their chow is. After about my 4th visit, I noticed that the boxes my taco plates came in were getting heavier, and now, when I go there, my tacos are ALWAYS overstuffed, as well as there is a bit extra beans and rice.

I couldn't agree more.

Being nice to folks doesn't cost anything and usually gives you something back.

Mattis is known for always speaking with those wanting to talk with him. He was like that when a serving officer. Hell once retired he went and visited with the families of those that served under him.

Being nice doesn't cost a thing.

If the orange clown tangles with Mattis, he loses big time. One of the few people in this admin with any credibility at all. Far more credibility than the President.

One of the things I learned early in my military career was that you cannot lead from behind. It's hard to expect your subordinates to do their jobs if you cannot do your own. And leaders treat everybody as respected members of the community.

I think Secretary Mattis is going to be a huge asset to improve the entire Defense Department.

One of the things I learned early in my military career was that you cannot lead from behind. It's hard to expect your subordinates to do their jobs if you cannot do your own. And leaders treat everybody as respected members of the community.

I think Secretary Mattis is going to be a huge asset to improve the entire Defense Department.

Absolutely agree. On my first ship, I had a REALLY good example of that, because the CO when I first showed up was Capt. Westphall, and not only did he talk with the crew as he walked around the ship, but on days when we were getting ready to resupply a carrier via UNREP (usually a 48 hour exercise pulling all the cargo and putting it on pallets), he would show up for an hour or two and hump boxes with the rest of the crew. He did it as a way to keep in touch.

Well, he was replaced by Capt. Daugherty, who not only rarely ever saw the crew, but he walked around like he was royalty, and NEVER showed up to help during carrier hits. Well, morale ended up sucking pretty bad, and he was eventually kicked out of his command because we were in a really bad fog, and he panicked, took the helm away from the helmsman and ran over a channel buoy.

Forum List

Back