Apostraphes Are Punctuation, Not Fashion

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Ok, my mom's and English teacher, which is maybe why I'm a bit anal about grammar and such, but this is starting to drive me crazy. Apostrophes have begun to trancend mere punctuation and have become a fashion statement. When used incorrectly, they're considered 'exotic' rather than what they are, which is stupid. I see an increasing number of people stick one in the middle of Halloween, turning it into Hallowe'en. What the hell, people? Halloween is not a contraction. There are a few letters left out from the original Hallow's Evening, but if we were to put apostrophes in every place where letters were missing, it'd be Hallow'e'en', and that's just dumb.

What drove me over the edge was an article I just read on this very forum where somebody talked about the state of 'Hawai'i.' Now, is it just me, or is that fundamentally retarded? Now, I understand foreign words and names having apostrophes in them to aid in pronunciation. If somebody from Congo or something wants to spell his name K'tri'i'ik'lik so we'll pronounce the damn thing right, so be it, but I don't want to see anybody American born spelling their names things like Aim'ee (Amy), Sar'a, or J'ust'in.

Where it seems to be the worst is in the fantasy genre, where everyone's name has to have an apostrophe. Have any of you read "The Wheel of Time?" There's an apostrophe in every other word. The game "World of Warcraft" is also a repeat offender, especially with their new epic raid dungeon "Ahn'Qiraj." The singe 'q' is annoying, too, but not so much as the frivilous apostrophe. I'm at my wit's end on this.

Hobbit said:
Ok, my mom's and English teacher, which is maybe why I'm a bit anal about grammar and such, but this is starting to drive me crazy. Apostrophes have begun to trancend mere punctuation and have become a fashion statement. When used incorrectly, they're considered 'exotic' rather than what they are, which is stupid. I see an increasing number of people stick one in the middle of Halloween, turning it into Hallowe'en. What the hell, people? Halloween is not a contraction. There are a few letters left out from the original Hallow's Evening, but if we were to put apostrophes in every place where letters were missing, it'd be Hallow'e'en', and that's just dumb.

What drove me over the edge was an article I just read on this very forum where somebody talked about the state of 'Hawai'i.' Now, is it just me, or is that fundamentally retarded? Now, I understand foreign words and names having apostrophes in them to aid in pronunciation. If somebody from Congo or something wants to spell his name K'tri'i'ik'lik so we'll pronounce the damn thing right, so be it, but I don't want to see anybody American born spelling their names things like Aim'ee (Amy), Sar'a, or J'ust'in.

Where it seems to be the worst is in the fantasy genre, where everyone's name has to have an apostrophe. Have any of you read "The Wheel of Time?" There's an apostrophe in every other word. The game "World of Warcraft" is also a repeat offender, especially with their new epic raid dungeon "Ahn'Qiraj." The singe 'q' is annoying, too, but not so much as the frivilous apostrophe. I'm at my wit's end on this.

Hobbit, if that gets you to 'your wit's end', you just haven't gotten out enough. Trust me, there are many more annoying things awaitin' ye! :laugh: (by the way, an apostrophe may take the place of a letter or an ending, in informal writing. ;)

<TABLE ALIGN="CENTER" WIDTH="601" BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="2" CELLPADDING="0" BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER">William Strunk, Jr.&nbsp;<FONT SIZE="-1">1869–1946).</FONT>&nbsp;&nbsp;The Elements of Style.&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT SIZE="-1">1918.</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
<TR><TD ALIGN="CENTER"><FONT COLOR="#9C9C63" SIZE="+2"><B>II. E<FONT SIZE="+1">LEMENTARY </FONT><FONT SIZE="+2">R</FONT><FONT SIZE="+1">ULES OF </FONT><FONT SIZE="+2">U</FONT><FONT SIZE="+1">SAGE</FONT></B></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR><TR><TD><OL><LI><FONT SIZE="+1"><B><A NAME="1">Form the possessive singular of nouns with 's</A>.</B></FONT>
<TABLE>
<TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Follow this rule whatever the final consonant. Thus write,</TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
<TR><TD><TABLE ALIGN="CENTER" BORDER=2 CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=4 ><TR><TD>Charles's friend</TD></TR><TR><TD>Burns's poems</TD></TR><TR><TD>the witch's malice</TD></TR></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR><TR><TD>This is the usage of the United States Government Printing Office and of the Oxford University Press.</TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR><TR><TD>Exceptions are the possessives of ancient proper names in <I>-es</I> and <I>-is,</I> the possessive <I>Jesus',</I> and such forms as <I>for conscience' sake, for righteousness' sake.</I> But such forms as <I>Achilles' heel, Moses' laws, Isis' temple</I> are commonly replaced by</TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR>
<TR><TD><TABLE ALIGN="CENTER" BORDER=2 CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=4><TR><TD>the heel of Achilles</TD></TR><TR><TD>the laws of Moses</TD></TR><TR><TD>the temple of Isis</TD></TR></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR><TR><TD>The pronominal possessives <I>hers, its, theirs, yours,</I> and <I>oneself</I> have no apostrophe.</TD></TR><TR><TD>&nbsp;</TD></TR></TABLE></TABLE>

I cant stand the lack of grammar too. Call me old fashioned, but when I chat online with my friends I spell out each word...CORRECTLY. My punctuation may be a tad bit lax, but at least I dont rely on acronyms to express every feeling. IFKOSMHBTM (I feel kind of sick, must have been the Mexican). ;)

And apostrophes in names confuse the dickens out of me. At a War College I was at this summer, a guys name was D'Antionio, now is that pronounced, DEE-Antonio or like, the sound duh-Antonio?

Hobbit, just so you know, there are many words in Hawaiian that have apostrophes, not to signify a contraction, but to mark a glottal stop. The correct prounounciation of Hawaii is 'Hawai'i,' with a stop between the two i's.

And Halloween actually did used to be called Hallowe'en.

Otherwise, your rant is right on! :thup:

Psst....I don't mind typos and the occasional one letter misspell.

However, those things are just flying around way too much. I can barely stand to keep any chat channels open on World of Warcraft anymore due to posts that I actually find harder to read than any foreign language except Arabic.

Hobbit, have you read this bestseller:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

It is actually a fun book on the pathetic state of punctuation today. I enjoyed it.

Abbey Normal said:
Hobbit, have you read this bestseller:

Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

It is actually a fun book on the pathetic state of punctuation today. I enjoyed it.

The local bookstore is sold out.

Forum List

Back