Apology accepted!

HorhayAtAMD

Nov 27, 2004
Canada, eh!
Newt Gingrich sorry for comments about Canada

WASHINGTON - Outspoken American conservative Newt Gingrich has apologized for saying this week that some of the Sept. 11 hijackers entered the United States from Canada.

Gingrich, a former Republican speaker in the U.S. House of Representatives, retracted the comments on Wednesday after Canadian Ambassador Frank McKenna sent him a letter.

"Please accept my apology to the Canadian people for perpetuating the error; one I am sure that has been very painful to them," said Gingrich in a reply to McKenna.

He told the ambassador he "deeply regrets" what has become a "widespread inaccuracy."

Link to rest of story

I read about this in the paper today and by itself, might not be that interesting. However, the following story was only a couple pages away and the two stories work together very well:

U.S. volunteer border patrol may head close to Canada this fall

WASHINGTON (CP) - The Minutemen, a group of civilian volunteers who've been patrolling the Arizona-Mexico border in efforts to catch illegal immigrants, may start monitoring the Canadian border this fall for criminals and terrorists.

"That is entirely possible," said Fred Elbel, spokesman for the Civil Homeland Defense group in Tombstone, Ariz., a related organization.

"But we do not have specific plans yet. It will take a few months for that."

Some northern states have asked for help in setting up volunteer border watches, said Elbel, who added there's been evidence terrorists have tried to cross both the Canadian and Mexican borders.

The Minutemen have been criticized as vigilantes by President George W. Bush and Mexican President Vincente Fox has threatened to prosecute them.

But they've been receiving more favourable attention lately from some U.S. politicians.

Link

Forum List

Back