Apollo 11 + 50

When I was a wee lad of five, Alan Shepard blasted into space. Not earth orbit, but enough fire, excitement and science to captivate a young boy for life.

Seven years later, Apollo 11 established Tranquility Base on the Sea of Tranquility on the face of the moon. What a time indeed!

Even the trivial everyday events of July 20, 1969 remain clear in my mind. Running home across my neighborhood and stopping to glance up at the moon so I could watch the landing on TV from my friend's house, Mom, Pop and my little brother breathlessly listening to Walter Cronkite. The chest busting pride as Armstrong stepped off the LEM.

It was about this time that the CSM & LEM entered into orbit around the moon, in a maneuver called lunar orbit insertion (LOI)...This called for a burn of the command module rocket engine while the craft was on the far side of the moon and out of communication with mission control...The burn had to be just right -not too long, not too short- or the craft would either be sling-shotted out into space or possibly/probably end up crashing into the moon...Six minutes of total suspense.

65 years, 7 months, 3 days.

That's all.

From the first powered flight at Kittyhawk to the landing at Tranquility base.

I had an aunt who was three years old when Orville and Wilbur Wright flipped a coin to determine who would fly their contraption.

She was 69 years old when Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong suited up to walk on the moon.

Can anyone think of a technology that went further, faster and more critical to civilization as flight?

At 4:17 EDT, the Eagle landed....This video is the raw feed to NASA, which was broadcast live around the world...This video describes what was going on in real time and what was behind the obviously on-edge voices of Mission Control...

That's all.

I had an aunt who was three years old when Orville and Wilbur Wright flipped a coin to determine who would fly their contraption.

She was 69 years old when Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong suited up to walk on the moon.

Can anyone think of a technology that went further, faster and more critical to civilization as flight?
Computer technology

That's all.

Computer technology
We also may consider computer technology an ancillary benefit from flight.

2D1BD7D600000578-3260346-Photographs_presumably_taken_by_Neil_Armstrong_show_Buzz_Aldrin_-a-29_1444041109013.jpg
minutes-later-aldrin-got-out-of-the-eagle-lander-and-joined-armstrong-on-the-moon-joking-that-he-was-making-sure-not-to-lock-it-on-my-way-out.jpg

moon-landing-apollo-11-APOLLO110719.jpg

182315217.jpg

Apollo-11-mission-moon-landing.jpg

486773-neil-armstrong-moon-1969-apollo-11-buzz-aldrin-nasa-science-technology-scientific-experiment-space-getty-images.jpg

apollo-11.jpg

moon-landing.jpg

It's interesting to note that that the anniversary celebration of Apollo 11 always features JFK but Nixon was president at the time and JFK had been dead for about six years. More bias against Tricky Dick?

We should honor LBJ
He was a strong advocate of the space program

Nixon inherited it. It was Nixon’s name on the plaque even though he had little to do with it

At 1:54 eastern time, the Eagle blasts off from Tranquility Base...If there was one thing that absolutely, positively could not fail on this and all lunar landings, it was the ignition of this booster rocket....Otherwise, the first men on the moon would be marooned and perish there.

An exterior shot of the launch of the LEM of Apollo 17...

Splashdown back on Earth...The Historic odyssey comes to a close...

Apollo_9_approaches_splashdown.jpg

Apollo-11-1-Practice-recovery-edited.jpg

the-apollo-11-command-module-cm-is-photographed-as-it-is-hoisted-aboard-the-uss-hornet-prime-recovery-vessel-for-the-historic-apollo-11-lunar-landing-mission-P89A1C.jpg

The three astronauts emerged from the banged up CM capsule wearing biological contamination suits for fear that they brought back toxic moon bacteria. They would remain inside a mobile medical quarantine facility (resembling a modified Airstream trailer) for 21 days before being cleared to return to their families.

_45443774_astro.jpg

Forum List

Back