APOD Photos

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Starting a separate thread so I can find it to post.

Milky Way and Stone Tree

To get more on this picture, go to http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130429.html

stoneyway_lopez_1440.jpg

What's that next to the Milky Way?

Last edited:
1 May 2013
omegacen_polleri_960.jpg

This huge ball of stars predates our Sun. This huge ball of stars predates our Sun

Ida and Moon
243_ida.jpg

by Wired Science Staff
Wired Space Photo of the Day: Ida and Moon
This color picture is made from images taken by the imaging system on the Galileo spacecraft about 14 minutes before its closest approach to asteroid 243 Ida on August 28, 1993. The range from the spacecraft was about 10,500 kilometers …

Moon Shadow Over Neptune
despina.jpg

by Wired Science Staff
In 2009, amateur image processor (and philosophy professor) Ted Stryk discovered something no one had recognized before -- images that show the shadow of Despina in transit across Neptune's blue cloud tops. His composite view of Despina and its shadow is composed of four archival frames taken on 24 August 1989, separated by nine minutes. Despina itself has been artificially brightened to make it easier to see.

2013 May 4

ple_130425_ladanyi_976.jpg

Last week, as the Sun set a Full Moon rose over the springtime landscape of Tihany, Hungary on the northern shores of Lake Balaton. As it climbed into the clear sky, the Moon just grazed the dark, umbral shadow of planet Earth in the year's first partial lunar eclipse. The partial phase, seen near the top of this frame where the lunar disk is darkened along the upper limb, lasted for less than 27 minutes. Composited from consecutive exposures, the picture presents the scene's range of natural colors and subtle shading apparent to the eye. At next week's New Moon, the season's celestial shadow play will continue with an annular solar eclipse, the path of annularity tracking through northern Australia and the central Pacific.

Last edited:
Theres loads of pictures here guys: flikr dot com - groups - sky at night
I'm in that group, was going to link my stream but forgot the password & can't post links!

Oh well ;-P

Forum List

Back