• Yes

Votes: 22 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rpviking

Rookie
Sep 23, 2008
My wife and I have been living outside the US for 5 years now. It has been interesting to view America from the outside. You don't realize it when you're living there, but the media that you're exposed to is very US-centric. It really is like being inside a bubble. Americans don't really get exposed much to how the rest of the world sees the US. America used to be the guiding light, the inspiration for other nations, the country where everyone wanted to emigrate to and start a new life. Well, that reputation has taken a hell of a beating over the last 8 years and especially the past 4-5 years -- mostly because of the Bush administration and the Republican party. The foreign policy. The war in Iraq. The environmental policy. The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. And Bush acting like a complete idiot everywhere he goes. That's to name just a few.

But you know what? You can't solely blame Bush and his cronies. And let me tell you, they aren't the only ones being targeted for criticism by the world outside the bubble. The comment we hear the most often over here is "How could you guys elect that idiot twice?" They have a point. We dropped the ball. We let the whole world down. And now we just look like a bunch of jerks with egg on our faces.

The common retort to hearing about what the rest of the world thinks about us is: "Who cares what the rest of the world thinks?! This is America. This is an American election." This to me is such an ignorant, short-sighted response. One thing many Americans don't seem to understand is that the US is a PART OF THE WORLD. It is not secluded inside a bubble. Our actions have a GLOBAL effect.

That is why this election is SO important. We need to prove to the world that we're not a bunch of apathetic assholes squandering the whole idea behind democracy. We need to prove that we can take RESPONSIBILITY for how we live and how that affects the entire world. To bring the US back to its roots as an inspiration and as a good example, we need a president that is intelligent, articulate, open-minded, aware, and inspiring.

I can't vote because I'm not a citizen (yet), so I really want to encourage every eligible person to vote. By now, it is obvious how I would vote if I was able to, but of course, I am not going to be so crass as to try bullying you to vote the same way. I just really would like to ask that you vote, period. (Hopefully, most of you will vote for Obama, though!) My wife and I are moving back to the US on November 19th. A McCain/Palin win is almost enough to make me change my mind about coming back at all and I really want to come back, so please help!

A lot of people hold onto the belief/custom that one should not talk about politics with friends, family, or coworkers. That your political stance is a private matter. To a certain point, I can agree with that. BUT NOT IN THIS ELECTION. Please do everything you can to get out there and make your opinions known. Bother your friends and family. Take the risk!

A note to anyone who doesn't believe in voting: Apathy is not an option anymore. Did you know that there are statistically more Democrats in the US than Republicans? There are 72 million registered Democrats, 55 million Republicans, and 42 million Independents (though this data is from 2004, the numbers couldn't have changed enough to make a noticeable difference). If all 72 million voted, the win would be by a healthy margin. So please make plans to vote. Set aside the time now. Plan ahead. And please encourage everyone you know to do the same.

If you haven't registered, you need to get on the ball because the deadlines are right around the corner. You can find out what your state's deadline at Rock the vote dot com.

And if you are overseas, your deadline is October 3rd. More info at Overseas Vote Foundation dot com.

You are not a citizen and you live out of country, yet you say "we" have to vote (for Obama), why in the "world" would I listen to you?

Just one question for you; You weren't born in the US. You lived here but never became naturalized. Now, you live outside the US. Were you deported?

I think he was merely stating an opinion. People around the world can't have an opinion on our election?

You are not a citizen and you live out of country, yet you say "we" have to vote (for Obama), why in the "world" would I listen to you?

Just one question for you; You weren't born in the US. You lived here but never became naturalized. Now, you live outside the US. Were you deported?

I've been living outside the US for personal reasons. My wife's American. She just finished a PhD at a university here. I did a Masters a couple of years ago. Not that it's any business of your's why I've been living outside the US.

Secondly, I didn't say who you had to vote for (I merely hoped). I just want people to vote. As a greencard holder, the only thing I cannot do is vote. Other than that, I have the same rights as an American citizen.

Why listen to me? Well, I might have a different perspective on things than you, for example.

That is like saying married guys can't have an opinion on a hot chick! NOBODY is that married!:D

Everyone gets to have their opinion! That, and prison time for owing money and not paying it back, is why we left England.

-Joe

opinions are like assholes; everyone has one.

my point to the overly sensitive is that this guy is not a citizen and he says "we" have to vote. he is not a citizen so what do "we" care that he wants "us" to vote for BHO?

My wife and I have been living outside the US for 5 years now. It has been interesting to view America from the outside. You don't realize it when you're living there, but the media that you're exposed to is very US-centric. It really is like being inside a bubble. Americans don't really get exposed much to how the rest of the world sees the US. America used to be the guiding light, the inspiration for other nations, the country where everyone wanted to emigrate to and start a new life. Well, that reputation has taken a hell of a beating over the last 8 years and especially the past 4-5 years -- mostly because of the Bush administration and the Republican party. The foreign policy. The war in Iraq. The environmental policy. The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. And Bush acting like a complete idiot everywhere he goes. That's to name just a few.

But you know what? You can't solely blame Bush and his cronies. And let me tell you, they aren't the only ones being targeted for criticism by the world outside the bubble. The comment we hear the most often over here is "How could you guys elect that idiot twice?" They have a point. We dropped the ball. We let the whole world down. And now we just look like a bunch of jerks with egg on our faces.

The common retort to hearing about what the rest of the world thinks about us is: "Who cares what the rest of the world thinks?! This is America. This is an American election." This to me is such an ignorant, short-sighted response. One thing many Americans don't seem to understand is that the US is a PART OF THE WORLD. It is not secluded inside a bubble. Our actions have a GLOBAL effect.

That is why this election is SO important. We need to prove to the world that we're not a bunch of apathetic assholes squandering the whole idea behind democracy. We need to prove that we can take RESPONSIBILITY for how we live and how that affects the entire world. To bring the US back to its roots as an inspiration and as a good example, we need a president that is intelligent, articulate, open-minded, aware, and inspiring.

I can't vote because I'm not a citizen (yet), so I really want to encourage every eligible person to vote. By now, it is obvious how I would vote if I was able to, but of course, I am not going to be so crass as to try bullying you to vote the same way. I just really would like to ask that you vote, period. (Hopefully, most of you will vote for Obama, though!) My wife and I are moving back to the US on November 19th. A McCain/Palin win is almost enough to make me change my mind about coming back at all and I really want to come back, so please help!

A lot of people hold onto the belief/custom that one should not talk about politics with friends, family, or coworkers. That your political stance is a private matter. To a certain point, I can agree with that. BUT NOT IN THIS ELECTION. Please do everything you can to get out there and make your opinions known. Bother your friends and family. Take the risk!

A note to anyone who doesn't believe in voting: Apathy is not an option anymore. Did you know that there are statistically more Democrats in the US than Republicans? There are 72 million registered Democrats, 55 million Republicans, and 42 million Independents (though this data is from 2004, the numbers couldn't have changed enough to make a noticeable difference). If all 72 million voted, the win would be by a healthy margin. So please make plans to vote. Set aside the time now. Plan ahead. And please encourage everyone you know to do the same.

If you haven't registered, you need to get on the ball because the deadlines are right around the corner. You can find out what your state's deadline at Rock the vote dot com.

And if you are overseas, your deadline is October 3rd. More info at Overseas Vote Foundation dot com.

Are you kidding me? We have been very much aware of the America bashing over the last eight years.

Millions still do

People, like it or not, get sick of the America bashing shit, but we are glad you found a place to be happy in.

They are welcome to their points.

And your whole rant was nothing whatsoever than another America bash, the kind we've heard for the last eight years. Spend some money and get someone to write you a new script.

Hey, Viking, don't you think anyone too apathetic to vote in Nov would very likely to be too apathetic as well, to vote in this poll?

Hey, Viking, don't you think anyone too apathetic to vote in Nov would very likely to be too apathetic as well, to vote in this poll?

Or even read political forums to begin with? Yes. I suppose I should try to publish my "anti-American rant" in the newspaper.

PS - Those of you that think I was America-bashing obviously didn't read it closely enough or perhaps the message couldn't quite get through your closed minds.

Or even read political forums to begin with? Yes. I suppose I should try to publish my "anti-American rant" in the newspaper.

PS - Those of you that think I was America-bashing obviously didn't read it closely enough or perhaps the message couldn't quite get through your closed minds.

Agreed.

You weren't bashing America.

Don't let these sunshine patriots' xenophbia fighten you off, dude.

Some of us older Americans remember that at one time America was thought of as the best hope for mankind, and who knows?

Perhaps one day, if we can get the toxic crap that passed for smart politicas out of our political scene we can be that again.

Americans are just like the rest of the world, you know.

When our leaders are decent men, our nation is NOT a meance to the rest of the world.

Sadly, we haven't exactly been electing very good people of late, have we?

This economic disaster is really our last wake-up call.

If the government bails our the master class and stick the American people with the bill?

the rest of the world will KNOW that America the beautiful is no longer that nation it once was.

Most Americans might not know it, but about half of us will.

Forum List

Back