Apartment residents told to take down U.S. flags

If you are in the United States and offended by a US flag, you are in the wrong country.

I would have told the manager to go fuck himself and sued him under first amendment infringment, namely my right to voice my support of the US flag.

And . . . you would have lost on summary judgment. No issue under the Constitution exists in a business deal other than by statute. Does Oregon have such a statute?

No, i would win on a constitutional violation.

Landlords have no right to prohibit the display of flags, in fact landlords have extremly limited rights with tenants.

They do have rights concerning what appears on the outside of their property, provided it is spelled out in the lease. However, I really doubt they have ANY right to tell people what stickers they can have on their cars.

How do dumbasses like this stay in business... I would be out of there asap... Once the word gets around she will be out of business...

Apartment residents told to take down U.S. flags | KATU.com - News, Weather and Sports - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

When you rent from a privately owned entity you must conform to their rules in the contract...otherwise you are free to find another place to live.

I think I would be checking my lease VERY carefully to see if this was included, and if not, I believe they'd be hearing from my lawyer.

Correct. If it is in the rental contract (no hanging of flags) then the rentees have no case, if its not in the rental contract then the people flying the flags have the constitutional 1st ammendment right to express their support for their country on their rented property.

It comes down to the rental contract.

If its just the US flag that can't be flown you could probably sue for discrimination :lol:

I just heard on FoxNews the landlord has bowed to public pressure and rescinded this policy.

Didn't you hear the word from obama's administration? Fox news is part of the republican party and isn't a real news organization :lol:

Last edited:
I just heard on FoxNews the landlord has bowed to public pressure and rescinded this policy.

I saw two of the residents on Fox talking about this the other day. They said that they asked the landlord for the policy stating that they could not fly flags and that the landlord gave them some bull and produced nothing. He produced nothing because it wasn't written anywhere and that's why he rescinded this asinine policy.

How do dumbasses like this stay in business... I would be out of there asap... Once the word gets around she will be out of business...

Apartment residents told to take down U.S. flags | KATU.com - News, Weather and Sports - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

When you rent from a privately owned entity you must conform to their rules in the contract...otherwise you are free to find another place to live.

While I dislike the rule of not being able to hang any flags, I dislike people intruding on a private citizen's/entity's right to do what they want on their property.

tenants should have rights too.

While I dislike the rule of not being able to hang any flags, I dislike people intruding on a private citizen's/entity's right to do what they want on their property.

Agreed... they should and they do. They have the right to find living space elsewhere if they don't like the rules at the apartment complex.

I think the management of this complex sucks and I probably would not be a tenant of theirs, but management has the right to make decisions like this whether it is a smart decision or not. It would serve the management right if everyone of their tenants in every complex they own packed up and moved elsewhere. Won't happen, but they deserve it.

Immie

Agreed... they should and they do. They have the right to find living space elsewhere if they don't like the rules at the apartment complex.

I think the management of this complex sucks and I probably would not be a tenant of theirs, but management has the right to make decisions like this whether it is a smart decision or not. It would serve the management right if everyone of their tenants in every complex they own packed up and moved elsewhere. Won't happen, but they deserve it.

Immie

you pay rent you gain rights, landlords are giving up some of their rights by taking money for the useage of their property.

I lived in a townhouse for about 11 years. We owned the house. They had rules you had to follow if you wanted to live there. No colored lights outside at Christmas, only white. They wanted to maintain a 'Williamsburg feel' to the neighborhood. The outside of your curtains (the part facing the street) had to be white or cream. They did a fall and spring inspection and they told you 'you have to paint' or 'you have to replace your fence', etc. and you had to choose from the colors they specified. Blah, blah, blah. I hated living in a townhouse and I hated the rules they had. I felt like I was in high school with the principal breathing down my neck. BUT . . . we knew the rules before we bought the house and we followed the rules even though we bitched about it. (Although in my defiance I did put colored lights up on the kid's Little Tykes playhouse that was in our tiny back yard. Yeah, I showed them! lol) Point is, they have the right to make the rules and you are obligated to follow them . . . just know what you're getting into prior to living there. By the same token, if they're going to make these rules they have to put them down in writing not just fly it by the seat of their pants.

Flag stickers directly violate US flag code. It isn't illegal, but ignorant.

When the flag is displayed on a car, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

Flag Rules and Regulations

Additionally,

Your flag decal won't get you
into heaven anymore
they're already over crowded
from your dirty little war
now Jesus he don't like killing
no matter what the reason's for
and your flag decal won't get you
into heaven anymore

- John Prine

you pay rent you gain rights, landlords are giving up some of their rights by taking money for the useage of their property.

Generally, the only right they are giving up is the right to occupy that space or to use it for other purposes. They do not give up administrative rights. For instance, they do not give up the right to prevent you from playing your music too loud in the middle of the night and disturbing your neighbors, their other tenants.

Every complex has rules. Tenants either agree to follow them or they move out.

Immie

Forum List

Back